Dealbreakers on FOLDERS and BALIS

BrB

The dealbreakers thread has been very informative, but somewhat directed to the fixed blades, though there are good imputs on folders. So I think folders and balis deserve a threat of their own.

Jeff

Can't help you with balis, they illegal to own in Canada, so I have never had one.

For me the biggest deal breaker for a folder is weak, flimsy locks. After that it would be modified tanto points, but that is just personal preference. If it was an expensive folder an off centre blade would also be something that would make me move on.

Outside of construction flaws, I dislike folders that are difficult to open one-handed. This is generally due to a combination of:

1) Opening device (thumbstud, disk, etc) that is hard to access (e.g., nearly flush with the handle) or is too small or polished and rounded.

2) Location of the thumbstud with regard to the pivot - i.e., the closer the thumbstud is to the pivot, and the narrower the handle, the more specific does the force to exercize in order to open the knife. If the thumbstud is well located, the fulcrum is optimal.

Back