Dealer Support Nessmuk Trio Giveaway

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
There is currently a combo thread going and I love combo's. This has inspired me to do a giveaway to promote our dealers, and also to promote Nessmuk trio's in general. Remember that I do not believe in the one knife does everything philosophy. To cover the gamut of woods tasks with properly functional tools, you need a trio. This has been a key philosophy of Fiddleback Forge from the start.

The combo in the thread (a Woodsman paired with a minimuk in this case) is a good one as it has a small knife for utility duties and a medium fixed blade for eating, and bushcraft duties. In this case skinning would be right up the Minimuk's alley, as would cutting string, cleaning fingernails, etc. The Woodsman is excellent in the medium knife category even though its on the large side. It excels at bushcraft, camp kitchen, and eating duties. To be functionally rounded off though, this combo needs a third tool. This third tool needs to be a lightweight chopper for the combo to become a Nessmuk trio. Fiddleback Forge makes several options for this, but IMO the ideal third piece of a Nessmuk trio is our 12" machete. This IMO is a much better, safer and way more versatile option than Sears' small double bit hatchet. Functionally it is not even comparable. Just try digging with a tiny double bit hatchet. LOL.

So, I'd like to do a giveaway to promote the 12"er as the best third in any Nessmuk trio, and also to support our dealers. The idea goes like this.

I will provide a Fiddleback Forge 12" machete to anyone who buys two Fiddleback Forge knives to make a Nessmuk trio from our dealers from now till Christmas. Here is how it works.

1. Buy two Fiddleback Forge knives to make the small and medium knife of a Nessmuk Trio from any of our dealers between today and Christmas day. (the knives can come from two different dealers)

2. Post them here with proof of purchase and tell us why it makes a good Nessmuk combo.

3. Send Phillip your address and be patient while we get these machetes together. We promise to do this as quickly as possible.

Here is a list of the dealers that support us day in and day out that we are promoting with this giveaway. Please know that a purchase from our dealers is a purchase from us. These folks are critical to Fiddleback Forge.

DLT Trading
The Knife Connection
Olde Towne Cutlery
Knives Ship Free
USA Made Blade
Arizona Custom Knives
Lee's Cutlery
7 Rattles Bushcraft
JSR Sports & More
New River Knife Works
Blade HQ
Gear Bsrrel
Lamnia

(Tell the dealers about this giveaway please. They will like hearing from you.)

Hopefully this is a fun way to increase the functionality of your tools, increase awareness of the superiority of our 12"er, and help our dealers out as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Edited: Here are some Muk's and Nessie (looks like a muk) but after reading Andy's explanation below a muk is not nessisary but since I dug up the specs I thought I would just leave them.

Stubbymuk - Blade 2.5" Overall 5.75"
Neckmuk- Blade 2.125" Overall 5.325"
Minimuk - Blade 3.5" Overall 7.5"
Nessmuk- Blade 4" Overall 8.75"
Old School Nessmuk - Blade 4" Overall 8.75"
Camp Muk - Blade 4.5" Overall 9.5"
Sandokumuk - Blade 7.25" Overall 13"
Camp Nessie - Can't find specs

Last edited:
Ok, just so I’m clear.....it has to have the words “Ness” or “Muk” in the model name?
(Forgive my nessmuk trio ignorance, please....I seem to manage in the woods just fine with the kephart, ladyfinger, bushboot, etc, so I’m not sure what models meet the criteria for this.)

Ok, just so I’m clear.....it has to have the words “Ness” or “Muk” in the model name?
(Forgive my nessmuk trio ignorance, please....I seem to manage in the woods just fine with the kephart, ladyfinger, bushboot, etc, so I’m not sure what models meet the criteria for this.)

This blog might shed a little light on the Nessmuk Trio: https://www.knivesshipfree.com/blog/lessons-from-george-and-horace-the-woodcraft-trio/

Basically, the "Woods crafting" basics are a folding knife, a hatchet, and a fixed blade. It seems Andy is modifying this a bit to create a very cool and very generous incentive.

Andy can correct me here if I’m wrong but I don’t think it has to have “ness” or “muk” in the name, it just needs to fit the role. A small knife for utility duties, a medium size for camp duties and a chopper type (the machete).

This blog might shed a little light on the Nessmuk Trio: https://www.knivesshipfree.com/blog/lessons-from-george-and-horace-the-woodcraft-trio/

Basically, the "Woods crafting" basics are a folding knife, a hatchet, and a fixed blade. It seems Andy is modifying this a bit to create a very cool and very generous incentive.

Yes, it does help! Thanks!

Andy can correct me here if I’m wrong but I don’t think it has to have “ness” or “muk” in the name, it just needs to fit the role. A small knife for utility duties, a medium size for camp duties and a chopper type (the machete).

Indeed. Thanks for clearing that up! So, the machete basically takes the place of a hatchet in the combo. As for the small utility knife, I’m sure I’ve got one or more in mind that fit the bill, knowing my affinity for small very useful knives. ;)

Last edited:

Not at all. Nessmuk (the pen name for George Washington Sears who was an outdoor magazine reporter around 1850) believed that a trio of woods tools covers the functional gambut rather than one big heavy knife to try to do everything. He teased the popular massive bowie knives with their murderous look and thick heavy blades. Anyway this is the idea. Three specialized tools to carry rather than expecting a one size fits all tool. He believed in a folding knife as the smallest tool, but I like the idea of a small fixed blade as the small tool. We make a lot of these for exactly this reason. All of the models Hiking Buddy sized and smaller would be acceptable as the small knife. I carried a Handyman as mine for a while. Right now I am using the Gnome for this purpose. I have it paired with a Reaper as my mid size, and a machete of course as my chopper.

This is a really neat idea. I love running a trio of tools. The 12" Fiddleback machete is normally my big blade. Can't wait to see what others come up with.

i already have some in mind... i am thinking of a stainless set.

so do the production models count?

Not at all. Nessmuk (the pen name for George Washington Sears who was an outdoor magazine reporter around 1850) believed that a trio of woods tools covers the functional gambut rather than one big heavy knife to try to do everything. He teased the popular massive bowie knives with their murderous look and thick heavy blades. Anyway this is the idea. Three specialized tools to carry rather than expecting a one size fits all tool. He believed in a folding knife as the smallest tool, but I like the idea of a small fixed blade as the small tool. We make a lot of these for exactly this reason. All of the models Hiking Buddy sized and smaller would be acceptable as the small knife. I carried a Handyman as mine for a while. Right now I am using the Gnome for this purpose. I have it paired with a Reaper as my mid size, and a machete of course as my chopper.

Thanks for clearing that up.

But this is less clear if there are other knives that do not qualify other than the ones listed below.

--------- These must be a Nessmuk Trio suitable pair. If you buy a Protagonist (if you don't have one you need one just to stare at. I still do this with mine) and a shank, you will not qualify for this giveaway. (But it would be one badass pair.) -------------------

Thanks for clearing that up.

But this is less clear if there are other knives that do not qualify other than the ones listed below.

--------- These must be a Nessmuk Trio suitable pair. If you buy a Protagonist (if you don't have one you need one just to stare at. I still do this with mine) and a shank, you will not qualify for this giveaway. (But it would be one badass pair.) -------------------

Ok
Ive talked to Andy
Here's the deal......if you like the Protagonist or any other Model and feel that it would complete your perfect Nessmuk trio...No problem

When you post up the trio, just explain why you think that (or any other Model) completes the set and you are good to go...I'll send you a machete to complete it.:thumbsup:

Fair enough?:):)

Ok
Ive talked to Andy
Here's the deal......if you like the Protagonist or any other Model and feel that it would complete your perfect Nessmuk trio...No problem

When you post up the trio, just explain why you think that (or any other Model) completes the set and you are good to go...I'll send you a machete to complete it.:thumbsup:

Fair enough?:):)

Yes :thumbsup:

I was just trying to help get it sorted so that the rules were clear. If someone was trying to play and got turned down it would be a bummer. That is great to have to explain if the choice is an unusual one.

I was just trying to help get it sorted so that the rules were clear. If someone was trying to play and got turned down it would be a bummer. That is great to have to explain if the choice is an unusual one.

I've decided not to turn down anyone, so no worries there.

Please be sure that the date of purchase is between 9/19/2018 and 12/25/2018. Thanks!

I edited that part out, btw. I'm glad you pointed out how much strain it put on the giveaway. Thanks for that.

Back