Dedicated chopper knife for $100 or less... Sugestions?

I'm thinking of the old Hunt's tomato ketchup jingle, "anticipation..... anticipation is making me wait....".

That's a sweet-looking companion there PM! I really like it also - i bet it handles very well. I'd be all over one also. I'm on the Mid-March time-frame with my design so i'll be waiting for quite a while, but i'm confident it's going to worth the wait! I hope to get it in time to post up some pics from here in Bosnia.

I would like to see a drawing of your design, just get an idea of what you are having Bryan do for you.

My anticipation has remained at a slow simmer, trying to keep it there. The Christmas break has been keeping my mind off of it, and with my birthday this week and school firing up immediately after, I should have mine soon without any major thumb-twittling. After this guy it's a Swamp Rat Rucki, if they are still making them, and after that an order at the famed Maylaysian outdoor supply company for a copy of Ray Mears' machete, and some of their other heavy beater choices. Hammer forged 5160 jungle beating goodness :) An authentic tropical partner for my El Salvador-made Condor Jungle Knife.

My anticipation has remained at a slow simmer, trying to keep it there. The Christmas break has been keeping my mind off of it, and with my birthday this week and school firing up immediately after, I should have mine soon without any major thumb-twittling. After this guy it's a Swamp Rat Rucki, if they are still making them, and after that an order at the famed Maylaysian outdoor supply company for a copy of Ray Mears' machete, and some of their other heavy beater choices. Hammer forged 5160 jungle beating goodness :) An authentic tropical partner for my El Salvador-made Condor Jungle Knife.

and that Thursday evening, his life changed with this one, small step, "Hi, I'm PayetteRucker and I have a chopper knife/bushcraft knife/jungle knife/machette addition problem.". :D

Those college loans are gonna kill you later my friend!!!

PreacherMan - i've drawn/re-drawn my design ~20 times and just today i believe i'm done with what i'm looking to do (+/- 6" general, bushcrafty field knife). In fact, i've gotta send the re-design to Mr. Breeden (though i did send him an e-mail). He's encouraging me to do all with it i want - *before* the start date - it's HIS fault!!! He's really great - a good friend to be sure.

fmajor, got it, and I like it. Bryan is going to have fun making that one for you.

PayetteRucker, Happy Birthday. When is it?

fmajor, got it, and I like it. Bryan is going to have fun making that one for you.

PayetteRucker, Happy Birthday. When is it?

Thanks Preacher Man!!! By "fun", do you mean too much grinder time? I don't want to come up with a design that's difficult to make... K.I.S.S is a cherished motto for me - i hope the design is also....

Likewise, HAPPY BIRTHDAY PayetteRucker!!!! This year, may the trail rise up to meet your feet and always feel like a nice, easy downhill - no matter how steep nor heavy your pack!

I got another video from Bryan showing several of his knives and the 6/12. Bryan is quite creative and productive.

Outstanding. Preacher you got to stop. Now I'm wanting a companion for XXXXX XXXXX when it's made. :)

Hi all, Frank, from time i start on your knife I will have it cut, shaped and get the pins hole drilled in. In 30 minutes. Your knife design is a nice simple one. That is why it is a great one and it will be fun to make:D. I am looking forward to it.

thanks for the kind words Preacher man.

Camoninja, Sorry about making the videos lol. Preacher man wants some with more action now lol. Wait and see more to come.

Bryan

Well, I was thinking to carry the 6/12 both on belt carry and piggyback. Bryan and I were discussing the best way of doing this and what kind of attachment would better work when Bryan sent me the pictures of his carry. My first thought for the 6/12 was that it would make a good necker, but wrongly assume that it would be too heavy. It turn out Bryan carries his as a necker. He has a rather nice setup. Transitioning from necker to piggyback and back again is way easier that from belt carry to piggyback. I still have to see how heavy it feels, but I like this option better.

These are the pictures of Bryan's 6/12 necker setup.

All the components of the setup
IMG_0334.JPG

How the whole setup looks put together
IMG_0383.JPG

and that Thursday evening, his life changed with this one, small step, "Hi, I'm PayetteRucker and I have a chopper knife/bushcraft knife/jungle knife/machette addition problem.". :D

Those college loans are gonna kill you later my friend!!!

PreacherMan - i've drawn/re-drawn my design ~20 times and just today i believe i'm done with what i'm looking to do (+/- 6" general, bushcrafty field knife). In fact, i've gotta send the re-design to Mr. Breeden (though i did send him an e-mail). He's encouraging me to do all with it i want - *before* the start date - it's HIS fault!!! He's really great - a good friend to be sure.

Debt free-GI Bill ;) It's going to stay that way as well. I'd quit school before going into debt. I do some side jobs like shuttling whitewater trips, landscaping/maintenance, explosives/demolition work and cabin construction to help pay for toys, but I was smart with how I spent my money in the Air Force and wound up with a sizable savings account by the time I got out.

Birthday is on 15 January, planning a winter backpacking/experimental archaeology celebration in the Pioneer Mountains. Ice fishing with primitive hooks, hunting with slings, snares/traps, primitive toolmaking and snowshoe making, igloo construction, that kinda stuff. Mom and Dad are going through a divorce so I don't expect much of a stereotypical birthday celebration right now, and with semester firing up and RA-associated inflammatory bowel, I really can't justify getting smashed.

As far as jungle blades go... I've lived in tropical conditions for about a year and my go to blades were a 5 inch Kabar and two 12 inch Ontario military issue machetes. They got the job done, but I never considered building a jungle-specific kit at that point-they were just tools that got me through the day. Thank God for silicone rags. They got some use trailblazing, but a vast majority of the time they were used for wacking Water Mocs while rucking in Florida's swamplands. One of these days I'll make it to South America on an extended trip. The Anthro Department at BSU has some big connections in Guyana digging up thousand-year-old mummies, and it would be a great excuse for an extended jungle trip with a survival school, some tourist sites and some extended backpacking. One of these semesters I'll save my GI Bill money for a trip instead of gear... sometimes it's hard to justify because there's so much to see and do in Idaho and it's all basically free.

There are lots of neat jungle-specific blades, and I always thought that clip point survival knives made the most sense in that kind of environment. I bought a wicked little rough-forged L6 4 inch long bowie at the Boise Knife Show, maybe .15 inches thick, though I lost it in my last move. I think the inexpensive Condor Jungle Knife will do well. My biggest gear qualm when it comes to jungle junk would be which pack to use. Something with a ventilated back, low profile, considerable attention given to waterproofing, yet still allowing for multipocket organization... alot to ask and I haven't found any 'perfect' solutions yet. I know the junglas pack was designed for the task, but it really doesn't ring my bell. I really have a thing for big side pockets, and of course that increases the pack's width so much it really isn't practical for jungle use.

Camoninja, Sorry about making the videos lol. Preacher man wants some with more action now lol. Wait and see more to come.

Bryan

That new clip knife for your manbag looks really great Mr B.

You have a great work ethic and energy for knife making. I really admire that.

Hi all, Frank, from time i start on your knife I will have it cut, shaped and get the pins hole drilled in. In 30 minutes. Your knife design is a nice simple one. That is why it is a great one and it will be fun to make:D. I am looking forward to it.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan - i hope it's a good design. I certainly didn't want something too strange, convoluted, etc., but 30 minutes to have it cut out and holes drilled?!? WOW - thats alot faster than i would ever have guessed (illustrating complete and utter ignorance here...). Can *hardly* wait!!! BTW, your 6/12 knife is awesome.

DSCN7712.jpg
Here's the temporary solution for my Bryan Breedan Neanderthal's companion in progress. Reprofiled, ground the guard off, refinished with Krylon. Have to wait a week for it to cure, and then I will clean up the finish with wet and dry, clean up the edge with wet and dry, and then start using her. What do you think? Pretty sure I nailed the blade profile.

The tip looks *really* stout! Like drive it through a tree trunk stout! How thick - i'm 5/32" or 3/16"?

It's a Cold Steel GI Tanto, I believe 5/32nds. Hey fmajor, when you said that I've got mail, did you mean a PM or what? I haven't seen anything in my email or on my message board.

Back