Deer Bacon?

Hey all.

I recently stored a buddy's deer for a while. He had it processed professionally and got a couple packages of deer bacon made.

Looked like slabs of regular pork bacon, but was deer. I asked my buddy how the guy did it and he was unsure.

A quick google search yields some recipes, but involved ground deer and pork. This appeared to be from a whole cut of meat.

I remain baffled.

Anyone have any ideas or recipes?

I shot a buck earlier in the year and turned him into ground meat, but if I shoot a doe I'd like to cut her up into roasts and such and try out some new stuff.

I would think at the very least it has to have pork fat mixed in. Every sausage, hamburger or anything always has pork fat in it to help the venison stick together and cook better

I would think at the very least it has to have pork fat mixed in. Every sausage, hamburger or anything always has pork fat in it to help the venison stick together and cook better

I don't know how they would have added pork fat to it. It was a slab of meat similar to the video posted by Odog

Wow. That thing is a freak of nature.

Thanks for the video. Maybe that is how they did it.

Real bacon is from the pig belly. Maybe it was done with the deer belly. Since most of the fat on a deer is stored between the skin and the meat, I don't know how much internal belly fat there would be. --KV

I have a friend who owns a butcher shop up in north western Wisconsin, he butchers 1100 or more deer each season. Anyhow he came down fishing a few years back and brought some venison bacon with him and we ate it and it was pretty good. It appeared to be from a smoked slab of meat and not ground, what I did notice is it was also very lean looking with no tallow. The slab of meat cured and smoked just like the regular pork bacon he makes but instead use venison instead. I'll ask him how he does it and get back to you.

My friend who processes deer up north got back to me and said he uses a lean cut of venison with no tallow or no added pork fat and cures and smokes it just like regular bacon.

Back