Deer Rifle, straight wall cartridges only

Garth's thread on the 450 Bushmaster got me thinking. What does the gang like for a deer gun?

Please heed these limitations:

1. HAS to be a straight wall cartridge. (it's an Ohio thing)
2. 125 yard maximum shot.
3. Shotguns and modern black powder are acceptable.

My father uses a Ruger semi auto 44mag and that kills them dead. I have been using a 45/70 for the last few years and that kills them deader.
Up until the straight wall cartridge change I used a Remington 1100 with a rifled slug barrel.
Have also taken a lot of Ohio deer with a 50 cal muzzleloader.
This year is gonna be all about the 450 Bushmaster.

Garth

Little out of the box here but a guy I know uses a savage bolt action 20 gauge and it puts up impressive accuracy out to 125 or more.

I have taken deer with a Marlin 1894C .357 Mag ... a Winchester 1894 .44 Mag ... a Marlin .38-55 ... and they are all good out to at least 150 yards if you practice ... and plenty accurate if you find the right load for each rifle ...

I really like Swift's A-Frame ammo or Federal's ammo loaded with 180grn swift A-Frame bullets for deer ...

I use Buffalo Bore either LFN or JFN the few mule deer hunts I went on ... it has a bit better range and hits like a truck ... you don't need that stout a load ... but the bit of added range and accuracy can come in handy in more open country ...

I have a Marlin .45 Colt which I want to take a deer with ... maybe this year I'll have more time to get out and finally take one with it ...

I have a .45-70 but have never carried it hunting whitetails.

I still use a 20 gauge with slugs for alot of our hunts here in Iowa ... it can be as accurate as most straight wall rifles ... and drops a deer pretty quickly if I do my part.

The 458Lott.....of course.:D;):D

Seriously though... within your perameters:

What I have immediately available - 357Mag, 45Colt, 45-70Gubmin't (and of course the Lott)

What I'd feel fine with using (with the right projectile) - 357Mag&Maximum, 41Mag, 429Mag, 454Casull, whatever Garth would let me borrow and any of the other recommendations above.:thumbsup::cool:

Last edited:
Marlin 1895 SBL .45-70 is my vote. I've only had mine for one deer season and swapped out between it and my .308 (my .308 was with me when I dropped my doe) so no experience actually taking a deer with it, but I'm confident they wouldn't go far if hit. I'll let you know after this season. Not sure how much damage would be caused to the meat if you missed your mark though...

Con to this rifle is that it's a bit on the heavy side. Currently running a Trijicon Accupower 1-8x. Might switch out with the Nightforce NX8 to shave off half a pound. Either that or do some push ups. We'll see. Right now I'm leaning toward the NX8. :)

20181110_071946.jpg

Eesh! The photo editor I used really did a number on my rifles, but anyway, here's my two cents and keep in mind I haven't taken a deer with either one so it may not even be worth the two cents I'm offering but I think I can give a decent opinion on the rifles themselves. If you are sticking to deer at 125 and under, I would probably go with the .44. The rifle is a bit lighter, the lever throw it a bit shorter, it holds ten rounds of ammo, the ammo is cheaper and it is very pleasant to shoot. On the other hand, the 45-70 is a brute that when loaded accordingly, you can carry anywhere in the world and be prepared for any animal that walks. It isn't much heavier but it can be a bit obnoxious to shoot. I would feel more comfortable with it if I had to stretch a shot out past 125 yards, and I would be MUCH more comfortable hauling it on a hunt for any animals larger or tougher than deer.
20190803_184006_resize_73.jpg

Last edited:
444 Marlin is my pic! That was my brush gun for years! There are some amazing and versatile hand loads around for this cartridge!

On the other hand, the 45-70 is a brute that when loaded accordingly, you can carry anywhere in the world and be prepared for any animal that walks. It isn't much heavier but it can be a bit obnoxious to shoot. I would feel more comfortable with it if I had to stretch a shot out past 125 yards, and I would be MUCH more comfortable hauling it on a hunt for any animals larger or tougher than deer.
View attachment 1173271

Here's some exciting news!!!:thumbsup::cool:

Your 45-70 qualifies for the legendary "Iron for INFI" program!!! :cool:

Congrats!:thumbsup:

Pack her up and send her in!!!:thumbsup::cool:

Let's Drink!o_O

Jerry:D

I load the 45-70 down to trapdoor Springfield loads with a 300 grain Remington hollow point, even though my 45-70 rifles will handle much heavier loads. I can't imagine using a heavier load anyhow as that load really does a number on deer.

For those that don't reload, Remington has a commercial trapdoor load using the same bullet in their "Remington Express" line of ammo.

Reloaded you are looking at $.50 per round, commercially loaded, $2.00 per round.

If a .30-30 was good enough as an Eastern woods deer cartridge forever, what is the modern straight wall alternative? 'Good enough' is good enough, why carry something heavy and overpowered? Apparently, there are folk taking deer with .223/5.56, but I'm sure others will vehemently object. (yes, I know that I couldn't use .223 in Ohio, thanks)

Here's some exciting news!!!:thumbsup::cool:

Your 45-70 qualifies for the legendary "Iron for INFI" program!!! :cool:

Congrats!:thumbsup:

Pack her up and send her in!!!:thumbsup::cool:

Let's Drink!o_O

Jerry:D

I'm always open to offers but I must warn you, this one is JM stamped, full of aftermarket parts and I really, really, really like it a lot. :D

So, one thing to think about is that levers are sort of a pain to take down and clean. You usually need tools to do it. I know Ohio isn’t Alaska, but up here there’s so much silt, grit, wind, ice, etc., that I put a premium on ease of maintenance in the field. A lever action that’s bound up with grit and sand (It happens) is just an anchor. For the sort or durability and reliability I like, bolt actions are, IMHO, the best.

1. Look into a decent bolt action platorm (Winchester, CZ, Remington, etc.). Get a nice used one since you’ll be re-barreling it.
2. Pick the caliber you want. 45/70, 460 S&W, 500 S&W, 454 Casul, the list goes on and on...and on.
3. Have a good local gunsmith install the barrel. You might need a different bolt depending on the caliber you choose.
4. Pick an optic, or not if you prefer open sights.
Enjoy!
You’ll be able to have a light, handy, long lasting, easy to maintain, accurate, reliable bolt action for a surprisingly reasonable price.

1st, pack everything and move to Louisiana

2nd, everything is better as far as hunting, fishing, Castle Doctrine, Kill-A-carjacker, 300 day a year growing season, G.R.I.T.S, open carry, concealed carry. Zero laws governing length of knives, unsalted roads. No gun registration, sell between private individuals with no paperwork.

Back