Defensive vs. Pseudo defensive

I have been looking at all the ads in the magazines for these tactical knives (MOD in particular comes to mind), and it strikes me that these knives are designed to look 'tactical', but I wonder in real life if in fact they are not just a marketing gimmick. The handles tend to be big and bulky with zoomy grooves and big handguards, and the blades are all equally heavy (and of course we can't forget the required photo of a Navy Seal in the background).

I compare these to my Military, which looks like it was designed by somebody who has actually had to carry a knife in something other than a pickup truck. It is light compact and has an incredibly efficient blade for cutting, and it probably weighs 50% less than some of these others. Likewise my Delica with a serrated edge is as wicked a blade as you would want to face, and yet I can carry it comfortably in my jogging shorts and not even notice it is there.

I'm sure the MOD is a fine knife, I just think that Sal's light and flat philosophy produces a knife that is more useful in 95% of the situations that we are likely to emcounter in real life. What do you guys think, are these massive knives really useful?

Rick

One could make an argument that big aluminum scaled knives like the MOD series are more sturdy than blades like the Military or Delica but I doubt if the difference is really that much. In terms of real world carry, a light flat knife is far more practical.

This is exactly why I love Spyderco so much. They are among the most practical knives out there. Well thought out designs, quality materials, and first rate workmanship.

Paul

depends on what ya need it for - my favorite EDC is a BM AFCK, w/a plain blade, to me more effective for everyday than serrations, and the handle fits my hand well - spydies good too but nothing wrong w/having a big selection to pick from - i have 2 MOD's - both razorbacks - MOD is a good knife too - i dont know about a 'tactical' knife - if trouble is in the air i wont be depending on a knife anyway- strictly for backup, and really mostly for utility IMHO

Thanx for the kind words guys. We rarely produce a model for "collecting". They are produced with EDC in mind.

Spyderco began making "Tactical" knives in 1981 with the "Worker" model. They were not called "Tactical" until the early 90's when our features became popular with the custom makers (one hand open, clip, teeth).

We always thought of our knives as being ready for a potentially dangerous situation, but we didn't and don't "push" them that way.

BTW Vet, "Tactical" or "Potentially dangerous" is more often some "thing" that has to be cut, rope, seat belt, clothing, etc. than some "one". Cutting a person is bad news and better be the last last last resort.

sal

I agree totally with the theme of this thread, especially with regards to MOD's Dieter line. The Dieter CQD folder is IMHO the best looking tactical folder currently on the market. Also they do put some interesting features on them like a hook for cutting handcuffs and a carbide window breaker. Usefull stuff for law enforcement, but not your average civilian.

I do wish I had the textured grip insterts of the CQD on my Massad Ayoob Spyderco. Also if MOD offered a Ladyhawk in a larger size with full serations, I would definetly buy one. Does anybody else think the Razorback should have come with a Kraton handle? It's chunky shape looks like it might turn in your hand, especially if wearing gloves.

Also any comment's on Dieters new fixed blade for MOD it looks like a fantasy knife on Home Shopping Network, or it was designed by Gil Hibben.

The Civilian is still the scariest looking knife of all time, which is kind of cool in a Hanibal kind of way
cool.gif
But it also has the slashing ability to back it up, not for show, "form follows function". Which is what makes the Military my favorite utility blade. The positive blade angle and deep belly combined with the dropped ergonomic handle make the Military one awesome tool
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Weapon_X_711 (edited 04-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Weapon_X_711 (edited 04-10-2001).]

Other than speciality blade styles like the Civilian, to my way of thinking "tactical" means that a knife is designed to lend itself to point and edge work while being secure in the hand.

The most efficient point and edge work is a result of the synergy of the blade and handle shapes working together and Sal and the Spyderfolx really have this down. I personally feel that the Military is the absolute finest example of this on the market today. For the way I hold and use a knife the Military handle is the best I've found. And when you study how the handle fits the blade you find that the design gets the maximum amount of blade on what you're cutting while at the same time maximizing the potential use of the point.

Quite frankly, I think most "tactical" designs are more visually distinctive than useful. But given the differing physiologies from person to person, a wide range of ergonomics and blade shapes can exist.

Actually, a well designed kitchen knife can be one of the most "tactical" blades you can handle. When I was cutting up leather jackets stuffed with polyfill, the best cutting knives were not my "fighting" knives, but instead, were my 8" serrated edge Chef's knives. Ultimately "tactical" boils down to handling and cutting, and kitchen knives have been doing it for hundreds of years longer than "tactical folders".

------------------
All you need is love... a sharp blade and a full clip

[This message has been edited by Tonie (edited 04-10-2001).]

BTW, Rick & Tonie, welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Hey Anthony, nice article in Tactical.

sal

Back