Delica glass breaker.

I wonder if any custom guys out there have figured out a way to add a glass breaker to their delicas backspacers, an aftermarket titanium backspacer with an inset carbide would be so cool! :D I know glass-breakers aren't everybody's thing, and I'm sure Sal has a good reason for not adding one, but I kinda want one, has anyone else thought about this? :confused:
It seems to already have a good place on the knife with the empty, relatively wide backspacer.
IMG_20140212_163219_621_zpspu5bnztv.jpg

IMG_20140212_163230_169_zpsmfyb2umf.jpg

It would be probably be pretty simple to add one to a set of Wilkins scales. Also a simple extended back spacer would probably do it just fine, no need to make a new back spacer then drill/tap a hole then make a threaded insert.

Anything is possible if your credit card is big enough. :)
Ha but the titanium deep carry clip I got here wasn't too bad, why would the backspacer be more expensive?

It would be probably be pretty simple to add one to a set of Wilkins scales. Also a simple extended back spacer would probably do it just fine, no need to make a new back spacer then drill/tap a hole then make a threaded insert.

I like the wilkins scales but I would buy a ZT or a southard before I would drop that much on a delica, as much as I love it.

The Delica back spacer is rather small and it has to hold and resist the bar spring forces upon opening and closing... I seriously doubt you can modify an OEM FRN back spacer for glass breaking... you would need to machine a completely new back spacer as a single piece which would include the extended glass breaker shape... and it would most likely need to be some type of metal. The back spacer is only .108" thick IIRC with three points of fixation.

The Delica back spacer is rather small and it has to hold and resist the bar spring forces upon opening and closing... I seriously doubt you can modify an OEM FRN back spacer for glass breaking... you would need to machine a completely new back spacer as a single piece which would include the extended glass breaker shape... and it would most likely need to be some type of metal. The back spacer is only .108" thick IIRC with three points of fixation.

Hmmm... what sort of material could work in glass breaking? I'm sure a high HRC steel would work, but I wonder if a mild steel would work. I'm also not sure I agree the FRn couldn't handle it, it's pretty stern stuff, but .108" is thinner than it looks...
Any more opinions anybody? :D

Carbide .
Choose your size.
Profile with a diamond stone.
Drill small hole and glue inplace

Here's what we are talking about... that's NOT a whole lot of mass nor structure to modify... redesign in a superior material as a monolithic unit would be my advice.
4Vej73z.jpg

Here's what we are talking about... that's NOT a whole lot of mass nor structure to modify... redesign in a superior material as a monolithic unit would be my advice.
Thanks Boomer! I think you're right unfortunately... That's an odd color for FRN... :rolleyes:

Check out the big brain on Boomer. ;)

Aw heck... I was a forensic photographer with the Orange County Sheriff/Coroner in a former life. All too many times I had to use words like that during voir dire examination on the witness stand. The FACT that I can still recall that stuff is what's really amazing...!!!:D

We prefer to not have the glass breaker exposed as we found that it tends to scrape the hand when sticking out. Also we found that a certain shape in carbide does the best job when breaking tempered or safety glass. I personally broke hundreds of windows while developing the glass breaker on our "Assist" model.

sal

We prefer to not have the glass breaker exposed as we found that it tends to scrape the hand when sticking out. Also we found that a certain shape in carbide does the best job when breaking tempered or safety glass. I personally broke hundreds of windows while developing the glass breaker on our "Assist" model.

sal

Now there's a job I'm qualified for. Hiring? ;)

we prefer to not have the glass breaker exposed as we found that it tends to scrape the hand when sticking out. Also we found that a certain shape in carbide does the best job when breaking tempered or safety glass. I personally broke hundreds of windows while developing the glass breaker on our "assist" model.

Sal
BEST OF BREED ! :) :thumbup:
[URL=http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/blackhorse71/media/e15feb4ce8b0d36cac81a83e0adc0271_zps1d87975c.jpg.html][/URL]

Back