Recommendation? Demko AD20.5 vs Spyderco PM2

I got a question. There's Knife Center's 3V Demko 20.5, which I like and would like to get one a lot. BUT. There're lots of other great knives for this price range. And, in my opinion, the most striking example of this is Cru-wear PM2.
And I'm confused. In Demko the fidget-friendly locking mechanism attracts me. However, in PM2 you get a bigger blade and nice micarta handle. For the same price. And I would like to know your opinion, dear knife lovers, in this matter.

OP, ignore that part in bold, because it is simply not true at all. The rest is spot on.
I have owned 5 different PM2s at one point or another, and they were all exactly the same. Demko is no slouch either, but Spyderco is definitely a brand I would trust to get the grinds right on every knife (even bevels, very sharp, all around great QC).
IMO
Demko = fun, fidgety, knife with tons of aftermarket support. Strongest lock on the market.
PM2 = one of the very best knives ever made IMO. Better Ergos and steel choices, aftermarket options, etc.
Can’t really go wrong with either.
Gun to my head i am going with the PM2
Both are great. I agree with Tony though. The PM2 build quality is typically great. The AD20.5 is good too, but I've owned 5, and 4 of them I had to send in from the factory with lock-up issues. Maybe that have that ironed out now though. For me, the deciding factor is scale material. The micarta is really nice on the PM2, while the plastic handles on the 20.5 work fine, but I'd prefer g10 or micarta. I bought G10 scales for all my AD20.5s and now I'm happy with them, but there is the added cost.

I got a question. There's Knife Center's 3V Demko 20.5, which I like and would like to get one a lot. BUT. There're lots of other great knives for this price range. And, in my opinion, the most striking example of this is Cru-wear PM2.
And I'm confused. In Demko the fidget-friendly locking mechanism attracts me. However, in PM2 you get a bigger blade and nice micarta handle. For the same price. And I would like to know your opinion, dear knife lovers, in this matter.
That is the example I have, 3v with the grivory. Yes, its fidgety and fun. Yes, lock up is indeed super tight & apparently not breakable even by Zeus himself. Those are the only points I can say outshine a PM2. The handles are too thin for me on a knife with a blade that robust. There is a lot of memology that goes into the marketing of folding knives, especially "lock strength" imo. Nothing wrong with that, we like what we like. All in all though form & function goes to the PM2.

I recently got a red sharkfoot AD20.5 with 3V. I expect I will like the blade when I do some real cutting. The bevel is 16 degrees per side, which I like.

The action is rough. The only knives I have that are rougher are a $10 Frost and a $1.25 Dollar Tree. I have some $12 Chinese knives that are considerably smoother.

I love the grivory handles on my blue Bugouts, but the Shark scales are rougher and slightly unpleasant to the touch. A little more chamfering would have been nice. I may do that myself.

I do not like the Shark fin. My forefinger wants to treat it as a flipper tab, which halfway works. The dorsal fin was quite sharp out of the box. I spent about half an hour filing it down with a diamond rod and it no longer draws blood. Releasing the lock is not smooth; it scrapes at first, then catches slightly when you pull it up, and I have to pull up pretty hard to get the blade to drop.

The knife is fidgetable, but it is not nearly as satisfying as a dozen Benchmades I have with axis locks or five Spydercos I have with compression locks or two Civivi Cogents with button locks.

Judging from Youtube videos, disassembly, maintenance, and reassembly are probably easier with the AD20.5 than a PM2.

I do not have a PM2, but if they are anything like Para 3s, I think a PM2 would be a much more pleasant knife to live with than the AD20.5, at least until you need to take it apart.

But maybe my AD20.5 is just a lemon. Either that or it is way overpriced.
Neither of mine was rough out of the box, and the "fin" was not sharp, so I'd say lemon. Roughness and difficulty pulling the lock back make it sound like the spring might be pinched or binding.

Both great knives, both worth getting if you like them IMO.

The Demko is the new hotness, but the PM2 is an icon (and for good reason). The PM2 is definitely a better value for your money by far when it comes to materials, which I assume is the dilemma from the framing of the original question. I'll not use the word overpriced with the AD20.5, because I believe markets set prices; and I think Demko is simply reaping the benefits of his intellectual property, which in this case just happens to be an innovative (and very cool) locking mechanism that many seem to be clamoring for. Good on him if you ask me. Can't fault a man for getting the bag while the getting is good. Just know as a consumer what you are paying for. As I see it, with the 20.5 you are paying for the Shark Lock and the time invested in developing a new knife and getting it to market, whereas with the PM2 you are dealing with an established product from a longstanding company that has the ability to focus better on value when it comes materials (not to mention decades of experience making superb cutting tools).

I personally bought the 20.5 as a stopgap to experience the Shark Lock and hold me over until (or if) the perfect configuration of an AD20 presents itself to me at the right timing. I'm happy with my purchase. I don't currently own a PM2, but I probably have more Spyderco knives than any other brand, and I don't think you can go wrong picking a Spyderco in whatever configuration you think will suit you best.

TLDR version....Get bof ;)

Last edited:
Both great knives, both worth getting if you like them IMO.

The Demko is the new hotness, but the PM2 is an icon (and for good reason). The PM2 is definitely a better value for your money by far when it comes to materials, which I assume is the dilemma from the framing of the original question. I'll not use the word overpriced with the AD20.5, because I believe markets set prices; and I think Demko is simply reaping the benefits of his intellectual property, which in this case just happens to be an innovative (and very cool) locking mechanism that many seem to be clamoring for. Good on him if you ask me. Can't fault a man for getting the bag while the getting is good. Just know as a consumer what you are paying for. As I see it, with the 20.5 you are paying for the Shark Lock and the time invested in developing a new knife and getting it to market, whereas with the PM2 you are dealing with an established product from a longstanding company that has the ability to focus better on value when it comes materials (not to mention decades of experience making superb cutting tools).

I personally bought the 20.5 as a stopgap to experience the Shark Lock and hold me over until (or if) the perfect configuration of an AD20 presents itself to me at the right timing. I'm happy with my purchase. I don't currently own a PM2, but I probably have more Spyderco knives than any other brand, and I don't think you can go wrong picking a Spyderco in whatever configuration you think will suit you best.

TLDR version....Get bof ;)
I also think that in Demko you pay for innovation, for something that is new and unusual.

I noticed that many people mention that Demko's scales are thin. Does anyone know are the custom scales thicker? Some g10 scales.
They are not, well the non-Ti ones on DLT arent anyway. I emailed and asked a few weeks ago. Thicker aftermarket scales would be a huge improvement.

I recently got a red sharkfoot AD20.5 with 3V. I expect I will like the blade when I do some real cutting. The bevel is 16 degrees per side, which I like.

The action is rough. The only knives I have that are rougher are a $10 Frost and a $1.25 Dollar Tree. I have some $12 Chinese knives that are considerably smoother.

I love the grivory handles on my blue Bugouts, but the Shark scales are rougher and slightly unpleasant to the touch. A little more chamfering would have been nice. I may do that myself.

I do not like the Shark fin. My forefinger wants to treat it as a flipper tab, which halfway works. The dorsal fin was quite sharp out of the box. I spent about half an hour filing it down with a diamond rod and it no longer draws blood. Releasing the lock is not smooth; it scrapes at first, then catches slightly when you pull it up, and I have to pull up pretty hard to get the blade to drop.

The knife is fidgetable, but it is not nearly as satisfying as a dozen Benchmades I have with axis locks or five Spydercos I have with compression locks or two Civivi Cogents with button locks.

Judging from Youtube videos, disassembly, maintenance, and reassembly are probably easier with the AD20.5 than a PM2.

I do not have a PM2, but if they are anything like Para 3s, I think a PM2 would be a much more pleasant knife to live with than the AD20.5, at least until you need to take it apart.

But maybe my AD20.5 is just a lemon. Either that or it is way overpriced.
All 4 of my AD20.5 (2 Ti with each blade, 2 CF with each blade) have a very smooth and slick action, such that I don't need to upgrade to Skiff bearings. However, I usually don't like grivory, so I only went with CF and smooth Ti scales.

For this one, gotta say the Cruwear is just great and it's my most used PM2, one of the few I take over the 20.5, 3v is just not able to shine any better than Cruwear in a knife that size, but the Cruwear sure does shine. It's about the perfect PM2, and I have nine of those.

I noticed that many people mention that Demko's scales are thin. Does anyone know are the custom scales thicker? Some g10 scales.

They are not, well the non-Ti ones on DLT arent anyway. I emailed and asked a few weeks ago. Thicker aftermarket scales would be a huge improvement.
Flytanium recently started making g10 scales for the ad20.5 and they are thicker than the stock scales.

I would like to thank you, dear knife experts, for your attention to me. I learned a lot of details and features, and now I can make a more informed choice. But I don't consider the issue closed. If anyone has any thoughts or other options, I would be glad to know!

What a great question and feel qualified to chime in facing the same very decision myself. If I had to choose just one.. I’d go with the Spyderco PM2, but with a caveat. I’m just not a fan of the micarta scales and for me, the PM2 would have to have a handle upgrade to choose it over the 20.5. I upgraded my PM2 with the Flytanium lotus scales and with these, it’s become one of my favorite EDCs. In the end I bought both, and now that I‘ve had plenty of time with each I wouldn’t part with either. I’m a HUGE Spyderco PM2 fan-boy, and the ADs stand out in a class of their own compelling me now to own the AD20, AD20S, AD20.5, Shark Cub, and all in Ti. Happy trails all, love this forum.

Back