Desert Dagger or Government Agent?

I just recently purchased a Mini X-ray Vision that I am very pleased with though the blade is showing some oxidation. I suppose that is a consequence of living in FL. Anyways Im thinking about purchasing either the Government Agent or the Desert Dagger next. I plan to join the military in a year or two and this knife would probably tag along as a sort of utility/combat knife. Which one of the two has the best reviews and is a good all around knife? Thank you.

Welcome to the SOG Forum Surreal Boredom.

I have both knives and love em. I think it comes down to what you prefer. in my experience, the Government Agent is a very good all around field knife. It has a good blade shape for use in the kitchen (made many a Dutch Oven meal with mine), is thick enought to handle abuse and still fast enough in the hand. Now, the DD is very fast in the hand, those serations cut through stuff fast and it penatrates soft targets really well. But isn't quite as good a kitchen knife as the other. I use my knives mainly in the kitchen, on carpet, card board and other utility work. That is my main area of exsperience so take it for what it's worth.;)

Now, the DD is just plain Sexy and makes quite the impression;):D.

I have been hearing things about the 440A steal not holding an edge. On SOG's site it says the knives come with AUS6. Ive heard that AUS6 has a bad edge retention as well. Which steel do they actually come with and is it durable. Also Ive read mixed reviews about SOG's Kydex sheaths. Many people it seems just get another sheat for these knives. And as a final question how does this knife compare with the X42 Recondo and X42 Field Knife?

Surreal Boredom,

Welcome to the SOG Forum!:D

Both of the knives you ask about are AUS6. One of the most important factor in a knife steel is the heat treatment. While AUS6 is not one of the "super steels" when heat treated properly, it takes a good edge and is decent at holding it. It is also easier to field sharpen...;) AG Russell on the website talks about different steels, and it is a good place to start reading.

Before you decide what to take with you, check what you are allowed; make sure double edged knives are allowed...

The BG-42 Field Knife is one of my personal favourites, along with its underrated brother the Field Pup ... ;)

Anyway, I'm sure others will chime in as well...

The DD and Government Agent are made with AUS6 steel. Edge holding and toughness depend a lot on the heat treat and SOG has it down pretty good. My Government Agent holds it's edge rather well. I have a Outdoor Mini AutoClip in AUS6 and in the last 2 months have only sharpened it once because I wanted to convex the edge:).

5 out of my 8 SOGs have AUS6 blades. They are easy to sharpen and all hold good edges quite well. My X-42 Autoclips blade (BG-42) holds it's edge longer, but it's also a lot harder to sharpen. I like SOG knives, the people behind them and how they perform. AUS6 might not be the latest and greatest steel, but it sure works well for me.:) Now, I do have knives from other companies that use AUS6 and even though the knives are good, the SOGs hold there edge a little longer and seem to be a little tougher.:)

As for the Recondo and Field knife. I don't have either so I can't say. Will let other comment on those. But, from what I've seen, they are WAY COOL:cool:

Originally posted by Bobby B

The BG-42 Field Knife is one of my personal favourites, along with its underrated brother the Field Pup ... ;)

Anyway, I'm sure others will chime in as well...

Looks like Bobby beat me at posting.

I really like my Field Pup. Have had it for about 6 weeks now and it's holding up great. Have been using it in the kitchen a lot and don't think it will need to be sharpened for a long time.

Was cutting potatoes a week ago, slipped and cut my left thumb. The knife made a clean cut and the wound didn't hurt. A testiment to how sharp the knife was even after 4 weeks of kitchen use.

You asked about the sheaths. Well, I prefer Leather sheaths 60% of the time. The SOG Kydex sheaths look really cool and hold the knife very securely. Some times to secure at times. But it loosens up after I've used it a bit. All the Kydex sheaths I've seen are Ambi which is nice. Also the belt loop works pretty good for me. I like the fact that I can move the knife from my gun belt to my normal belt with out my pants falling down. I for one, like SOGs Kydex sheaths. I've made Leather sheaths and have ordered Leather sheaths for mine also. Now, I have both options depending on what I will be doing that day.:D

Edited to add: Buy a Recondo, Field knife or Field Pup and if you don't like, I'll buy it.:)

Originally posted by wildmanh
Looks like Bobby beat me at posting.

Edited to add: Buy a Recondo, Field knife or Field Pup and if you don't like, I'll buy it.:)
Now THERE'S a sales pitch!:D
... and neither of us work for SOG!... :eek: :cool:

I would not recommend the DD.
Don't get me wrong it is an awesome knife (I own three).

I probably know a dozen guys that have spent more than two years in the army, I think all of them have a some stage had a dagger, pentagons, dds, cheapo disposal store knives etc. (I think gerber mark II were the most common though) the point is cool as daggers are etc. most of them really prefered having a good camp/utility knife and often sold the daggers, plus at least one guy used to complain about getting **** from the more experienced guys bout carrying a dagger around.
I would go with a recondo or a feld knife or field pup or even a seal 2000 or the govt. agent.
Get something that you will use as a utility knife and keep it sharp :) and remember that dagger or not a big sharp knife can still ruin someone elses day

Surreal Boredom,

I'll wade in here and ask the "obvious" questions: 1) which branch of the military (Navy SeaBee's I hope !!) do you plan to join; and 2) what do you plan to do in the military, or at least think you'd like to do ??

If you end up being the Navy enlisted guy who sits behind the radar scope, you don't need a knife for that job. If you're going to be the Officer Of The Deck, you don't need a knife for that job... well, on second thought, it just might not be a bad idea so as to help keep the Captain in line. If you're going to be a deck ape, a tough-as-nails folder would be the best knife for that job.

You specifically mention that you've got "combat/utility" in mind. If you've got budget for only one knife I'd go with the SEAL 2000. It's big enough to function as a camp utility knife and chop twigs branches and such, and it's certainly fearsome enough to be an all-weather combat knife.

We'all here at SOG Forum naturally have our personal favorite: mine is the SOG Bowie. In my personal opinion the Bowie is the most Sierra Hotel knife in the whole SOG lineup. Not that I don't have a couple of other SOG's my collection, and not that I don't lust after a few others, but ya gotta have a favorite and the Bowie is it.

Cheers and Good SOG'ing,

Carl

Right now I am in High School and plan to go into one of the academys. (I know this sounds like a lofty goal to be hearing but I'm serious.) From there I plan to join either the Ranger/PJ's/SEALs depending on which branch I go into. I know that they have knives that they are issued but after talking with individuals already in these groups it seems they are allowed to purchase knives of their choice. Plus this would just be a utility knife until that time.

Also I seem to be developing an affinity for SOG knives and could see myself soon becoming a collector. Thanks for the help guys.

Well I have spent far too much money buying knives over the years :)
I love sogs but also love custom made knives and striders and all sorts of things that end up costing lots of money :)
If you are still at high school I would hold on for a little while before buying a fixed blade unless you are actually going to use it for going camping or something like that.
I won't give you the knives can be deadly... don't hurt yourself... blah talk, it is important to know but yeah...
Just remember that (especially in the world we live in today) people get pretty freaked by knives pretty easily.

If I was a young knife and gear head and knew what I know today, I would recommend getting a small SAK to compliment your mini x-ray and then I would buy a surefire E2e (torch/flashlight) and hold off buying any other gear till you were a bit older, just so that you will have more cash and learn to use the gear you currently own (or the few pieces you acumulate) well.

A skilled man with a s*** knife is better than a novice with an awesome knife, a fact that I had trouble excepting when I didn't know all that much :(

One other thing I would recommend is getting a marine tuff-cloth to protect your knives, you should be able to find them at a store (surplus store or a knife store) near you, or order online.

This whole thing started when I purchased a 1942 KA-BAR over the summer. Then I got one of those sh*t kabar hunting knives they make these days. After that I realized there different levels of quality in knives and spent a considerable amount of time researching knives. The research still continues. But I'm a collector with OCD. Its a bad mix and a tough habit for the wallet to handle. But I suppose Knives are better than drugs in some senses. I understand what you mean about people getting freaked out by knives.

As for the Tuff Cloth I plan to head up to the near by Bass Pro Shop and purchase one there. Thanks for the advice.

When I was 14 I got a decent $40-$50AU (Sogs start at abt $90Au down here) pocket knife. About eight months later I bought my first knife, a $100Au SAK. Then a few months later I bot a D cell maglite.
About a year later a couple of hunting knives.....
You just buy more and more. As for OCD welcome to the club.
About the best/worst for wallet thing you can do is start getting pelican cases for all your knives.
I bought my first safe at 17.
At 18 I upgraded and hid the second (better safe) and had the first one almost like a diverson (didn't keep great gear in there, batteries, knife cleaning stuff, a couple of folders).
Pelican cases, otterboxes, gunsafes to put the cases in, knife sheaths, knife storage pouches...
:D Your well and truly FUBAR but you'll love it :) learn live on rice and ramen and it will all fall into place

Surreal Boredom: My advise to you is to buy, only when the need for a particular type of knife should arise.
Problem is how would one define NEED???!
Believe me, years later and a closet full of unloved and untouched edges...
There isn't a day past where I don't question the 'wisdom' of past purchases.
Remember most knives actually last more than a lifetime; what dead weight!

Everyone should however, try to own several blades of different length and sizes for actual use.
In this way, you would have a knife fit "for every season" ;-)
For fixed blades, one each of everything from 4 inches to a full length bolo is ideal.
And don't forget about having a slim filet knife and more importantly a wide skinning knife.
Plier tools and SAK's goes without saying.

As for daggers, it is not a toy, PERIOD.
If you are in 'that branch' of government, rest assured one would be provided.
But you know what!?, I guess it would be kind of cool to add a Desert Dagger to your collection anyways.

Which brings us the question, "Would you see yourself having to use one any day soon?".
Perhaps your current requirement favours a less specialized form of blade.
One that you can be readily put to good use, without the constant fear of strange folks asking to have a closer look at your 'Kill Bill' knife ;-)
If you NEED to buy, you can't go wrong with an AGENT.
Besides, it sounds cooler!

BTW z17813: Its news everywhere.
Aussie SAS Recruitment Drive
http://212.58.226.18/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3206490.stm
Good luck in the selections whoever you are! :)
http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armynews/editions/1085/topstories/story01.htm
Article: Vet's 12 yrs experience in the Aus. SAS
http://www.mfat.co.uk/uksf.php?page=uksf7

Krizzard, out

"...Whoever kills with the sword must be killed by the sword... "
- The New Testament, Revelation 13:10

I recently purchased a SOG Seal 2000. I LOVE that knife to death!! It's strong and hella-sharp. I'm not sure if many SEALs really carry it, but if I was one, I'd take it with me everywhere I go.

Some good points were made in this forum. You need to decide what you will use the knife for. If I were in a knife fight, I'd love the 2000. I know it's not double edged, but that can be a gift and a curse. You might want to take up a knife based combat class if you can find one(ask around in the filipino martial arts forums here).

If utility use is more of your thing(i.e. cutting ropes, boxes, food, whatever), you might want to look at a folding knife. You can still find rather large folders (CUDA Maxx or Aftermath) but they carry a lot easier than a SOG or Kabar in a sheath.

I have an extremely small collection of knives (like 10 or something) and most are folders. but I am trying to build my collection as time goes on. In this respect I'd say buy the knife. In fact, buy a few SOG knives. They are a good company and have a wide range of blades to choose from. Once you have them and can get a feel for them, you can decide if you like the knives or not. Sell the ones you don't like, carry the one's you do.

Remember, nothing anyone here says, can help you to know what your preference is. You have to try a knife to see if it really fits you. The advice given here is good, but every knife has it's pros and cons. It really comes down to what you want and what you will be doing with it.

ok, I'm gonna get off the soap box now. Sometimes I talk forever.

I love my SOG knife,
-Rayn

speaking of knife fights, my pal at Camp Pendleton sent this to me this morning, a training seminar in Buena Park this month:
http://members.aol.com/redfeather88/apacheknife/seminars.htm

As for buying SOG knives, Rayn makes perfect sense. I have the privilege and pleasure of owning a few SOG's, the SEAL 2000 among them. A great tool for many uses.
And the Tigershark is an awesome field knife, big and "heavy" and great for chopping and general hacking and whacking.

Cheers,

Carl

Back