desert dagger

SIRGALANT - The Flash II looks like a nice piece of cuttlery, my only prob is the assisted opening - Aus customs won't let them through, thus you have to purchase them here at about 3 times the price. Just don't need one that much to pay the obscene prices charged here. Opening speed of a folder has never been a criteria of mine when choosing a folder. Opening and closing one handed is important to me and this can be done on most well made folder, with enough pace for me.

Robbie - With the revolver, my only concern is it biting you when swinging the blades around. Its just a little hard to visualise how the mechanism works and I keep thinking one could loose a bit of skin. Can you point me in the direction that briefly shows how it works in diagram form and also how its put together, ie liners, weight, general specs etc. Looks like a handy tool to throw into my camping / fishing pack.

Stockman, the only thing I know of is the animation on web page below. Biting the user is no more a problem than folders are, you just need to move your fingers (same with folders) when you change to the saw or other blades.

Click on "Check out how the Revolver works"
http://www.sogknives.com/hrevolver.htm

Robbie Roberson ;)

Thanks Robbie, that was exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I will be getting my first SOG, just have to choose which one of the three revolver styles to pick up.

I just realized I highjacked the original post/thread about Desert Daggers, I am sorry. Desert Daggers are awsome knives........ :D

Robbie Roberson ;)

thats allright robbie , i aprreciate ANY intelligent conversation about knives ! i have come to realise what the desert dagger was truly designed for anyway and i`d say its not for cutting (if you catch my drift)

SIRGALANT said:
yeah i`d guess not . what do you think of CRKT knives robbie?
I think you are better off with your SOG's, or even some Benchmades or Spyderco's that are made in the USA. You will pay a little more ( depending on how well you shop online ), but normaly, you get what you pay for. CRKT are made in Taiwan ( not that this is a bad thing ) and produce some reasonable stuff. If you are into dagger ( stabbing style blades ) their Hissatsu is a well made tool for the price.

i olnly have 4 CRKT knives ; sawtooth , 2 stiff kisses and 1 m16-04z . you know what sogs i have . yeah not sure what taiwanese steel is like but it can have a bad reputation . the differenece is that different countries have different quality ore in the ground , so country of maunfacture can often mean a lot. people who don`t know much about knives just buy them on their face value ; and often just consider price over the actual quality . if you do`nt know what your looking for it is very easy to get ripped off. i will happily pay for the more expensive knives as they are better quality in every way. there is expensive as in its a really good knife and so costs alot of money , and then there is expensive as in a huge middleman margin.

CRKT use a lot of AUS6 and AUS8, both are Japanese made steels. The difference between makers who use the same steel is how they heat treat it and if they get the most out of the steels potential ( ie edge retention, hardness, wear resistence etc.). The makers edge profiles and blade grinds will also have a dramatic result in the knifes performance. CRKT often chisel grind their blades, which is not suitable for most of my requirements, thus I don't purchase them. Personaly, Im not a fan of AUS6, it is easy to sharpen to a reasonable sharpness, but doesn't hold its edge very long. AUS8 performs a lot better, more like 440C.
Expensive ( huge middleman margin ) sounds like Wellington surplus, I always look at the US online shops like New Graham, who give great service and prices.

yeah , they`re valid points . but i can`t be bothered stuffing around with US money orders and stuff like that. have you ever been to MDS? they never get new stock because no one ever buys from them . wellington surplus is cheap compared to them. do you know of any ohter good knife shops in perth mate? i know of the midland military markets , but thats under new management and the new guy has ridiculous mark up.

You don't need money orders to buy online, a credit card will do it. You have to wait however for delivery, normaly about 7 - 10 days. If you don't have a credit card and you have a particular knife in mind that you want to buy, send me a line and I will see what I can do for you online versus Wellington Surplus.
There is a knife shop at the Morley Gallaria, but they want an arm and a leg and don't have much quality besides some older model Spyderco's.

yeah king of knives . been there . they also have an MDS at morley which is equally more expensive with even older stock.

Back