Design suggestions?

Hello, please forgive me if this is not the approved way of posting this thread.

First of all, I am not sure what the appropriate course of action is to suggest a design, or even whether or not spyderco is open to design suggestions. If there is a prexisting thread for this, my bad I did not find it.

First of all, proposed design, a 12 or 13 inch light hatchet made from H1 steel with a micarta handle, or some other material with more shock absorption capability.

Second a little background concerning design origin and intent.

I currently own 2 Rock Salt knives, one stays in the trunk of the car and the other is tossed in with the camping equipment. Neither one is pampered or are the abused. They are both low maintaince utility knives, and the serve their purpose admirably. I have been contemplating purchasing a third one for permenat storage on the bike. ( A Bmw r1200gs, with adiquate off road ability ) however from personal experience I have been made aware that due the nature of my riding preferences, I generally need a "chopper" rather than a "slicer" on the bike. While the rock salt is good at this, it will never be as good as a hatchet. ( IMHO it is a better chopper than the kershaw outcast or schrade xtb camp knives I have tried ) so that is the background.

Now for intent: I would like to suggest H1 Steel for 3 reasons

1) it has adiquate edge retention and is not too difficult to sharpen. EG better retention than 440 and easier to sharpen than D2 or S90

2) Being a perception hardened steed, seem like being a 'chopper' would be right up this steel's alley

3) While I live in the south, rather than by the sea, saltwater is not an issue to me. However humidity and concentrated condensation in closed off environments is an issue. EG a car trunk or an unsealed basement or aluminum panniers, you see the trend here. Over the past five years the rock salts have done very well, while a kershaw vapor and a schrade muskrat have both been rendered useless by rust, while riding right next to one or the other.

As for the actual design, I would like to see something similar to the now discontinued 'Topps 12" hatchet. Something with a more squared off head, that is actually a little thinner than a traditional hatchet head. Also a hole close to the spine, so that it could be gripped in such a way that it would have a legitimate secondary use as a 'slicer'. Also since the intent would be to serve the role of a light hatchet, weight would be an issue.

So any way, there ya go. Just thought I would toss that out there and get it out of my system.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes.

I think there is a guy named Peter at Spyderco you can contact for this sort of stuff.

Back