detecting angle freehanding?

I have recently found that on my spyderco folder, I can tell when i am freehand sharpening at the right angle on a ceramic stick. If the angle is off, the blade kinda vibrates a little. this is an awesome thing for practicing how to freehand sharpen. does this happen to anyone else?

I have always called it "locking the bevel" you can feel when the whole bevel is in contact with the stone. There is a different type of friction that is felt when proper contact is made, I don't know how else to explain it its something that just must be learned.

I find that I get that vibrating feeling when I sharpen at a higher angle than the previous angle, I prefer the sharpie method, I will start at a low angle and raise the angle till I hit the edge.

Can't say I've particularly noticed a vibration, but I do definitely feel a difference when I'm sharpening the edge versus back beveling an edge.

Your right, though, I think that "feel" is due to vibration. That observation could be useful for machining an edge.

Back