Detent help

I recently purchased a lil native with the compression lock. I really like the knife for how small it is yet fits in the hand nice.

After one day of having it I noticed the detent seemed weak. I can hold the knife and flick my wrist and it opens. It doesn't appear the detent ball is going into the hole in the blade. On my para 3 you can watch the compression lock and when it closes you see it move when the ball goes over the hole. This knife it doesn't move at all.

I was thinking about sending it back but wanted to make sure this wasnt normal for this knife.

Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Most if not all folding knives can be shaken open. It does not matter which lock. It is just a matter of individuals tolerance of force applied. If there is not detent rock and the blade does not open by slight amount of shaking, I will say it is gtg.

I appreciate it. I'll look at it again and see. I guess since it was such a big difference then the para 3. I was expecting a similar detent but that's probably not the case.

You can always try a hot soapy wash and then blow out the remaining moisture and then relube. Might have someting caught in the detent hole in the blade.

If you can't easily correct it I would recommend you send it in Spyderco's W&R department and let them take a look at it. There's a way you can correct it but I won't get into that here.

If you can't easily correct it I would recommend you send it in Spyderco's W&R department and let them take a look at it. There's a way you can correct it but I won't get into that here.

I called them and sent it off today. I'm curious what they day about it. I'll update when I know something.

I sent the knife to spyderco. So the three week wait begins.

This example is why I prefer to buy knives in person but a lack of a good store in my area doesn't give me much options. Its frustrating to have to pay for more shipping plus the wait time. Hoping it will be what i expect in the end.

I sent the knife to spyderco. So the three week wait begins.

This example is why I prefer to buy knives in person but a lack of a good store in my area doesn't give me much options. Its frustrating to have to pay for more shipping plus the wait time. Hoping it will be what i expect in the end.

When I order knives online, I always order from a representative over the phone. That way, I can also ask them to check the knife to ensure everything is fine with it. I have a pre-written list of possible flaws, to ensure that none are present, as well as what I do want. Going over this list with them goes pretty quickly. I’ve never had a problem using this method, and nobody has ever thought it was a bother to check the knife before shipping. If anyone ever did have a problem doing that, then I would do business elsewhere; but again, nobody has ever acted like it was a bother. And using this method, I’ve never gotten a lemon. This is the second-best thing to actually handling a knife in person before buying.

Jim

When I order knives online, I always order from a representative over the phone. That way, I can also ask them to check the knife to ensure everything is fine with it. I have a pre-written list of possible flaws, to ensure that none are present, as well as what I do want. Going over this list with them goes pretty quickly. I’ve never had a problem using this method, and nobody has ever thought it was a bother to check the knife before shipping. If anyone ever did have a problem doing that, then I would do business elsewhere; but again, nobody has ever acted like it was a bother. And using this method, I’ve never gotten a lemon. This is the second-best thing to actually handling a knife in person before buying.

Jim
Valid point. I'll have to try this next time.

Well good news came yesterday. Spyderco sent me a replacement knife and it arrived. I was anxious to see if it was just me or if there really was something wrong. The new knife is a night and day difference. The detent is what I expected it to be.

I'd say the customer service was alright. The good was it didn't take 3 weeks like they said. The bad is you get no updates. I sent a letter with my email and contact info. I was hoping at minimum to get a tracking number. They only way I knew was because ups emailed me.

But all is good and will continue to buy and recomend them to others.

Back