Diamond Stones, interrupted or continuous surface?

hey guys, you really helped me in another thread, so here goes one more. what is the difference between interrupted surface and continuous diamond surface? i think maybe drill bits might get caught in recesses, but what are your guys experiences with knives? thanks again.

I have and use both. For general use I tend to prefer the uninterrupted surface but on the occasions when I use my DMT Diafolds (perforated) with a clamp system, I do find that they tend to fill/clog with swarf more slowly.

If you are concerned about catching the tips of knives in the perforations it would make sense to go with the uninterrupted surface. The grit of the stones remains identical between the two types.

If I did it again I'd probably go with uninterrupted, but I just love the size of my 10x4" duo sharps.

Buy the largest that you can comfortably afford. (Also, if you use Google to ask some of these questions you'll find that doing a little homework goes a long way.)

For me the 10" stones give me more room to maneuver the knife, it's not better in any way just easier. At least IMHO. Plus larger stones make sharpening larger knives easier. I prefer a stone at least a couple inches longer than the longest blade I commonly sharpen.

Hello everybody,

First off, my experience with Metalworking as far as blades are concerned is fairly limited, but, Metalworking is my career.

Most people probably do know this, but if you don't it's a good tip. When working metal with a fine grit hone, or even an uninterupted diamond hone, a great way to keep the honing surface from loading up is to use a little "Varsol" or other type of cleaning agent periodically while honing a surface.

Also: Sorry for being slightly off topic.

cool, thanks, didn't know that. would UNinterrupted be better for scandi grinds, or other types of grinds?

One problem with the interrupted surface is that at the lower meshes (320 mesh even) the scratch pattern on the blade will look interrupted and you will have to remove these peaks and valleys at a finer grit.

Also:thumbup: on the larger stones.

Continuous is faster and better in every way. Anything else is simply a cost saving measure. Always buy the largest stone you can. Bigger is always better.

Back