Did a knife ever fail you?

I would like to hear any story you consider a failure, but here are also some examples:

Chopping some wood and suddenly you see your blade flying while you still hold the handle...

Battoning to also end up just with the handle in your hand...

Hearing weird noise as you strike and discover your edge has rolled or chipped...

Your folder lock failed... ouch...

Automatic knife opened in your pocket... ouch...

I have used knives in an improper fashion causing myself and the knife harm.
I've had cheap swords (440ss blades) break on me. I haven't had a knife fail under normal use. Even cheap ones. That said, I don't trust gas station knives.

Well not mine but I seen my buddy throw one of those cheap boot daggers at a tree and right before I got all the words out that your going to break it. I heard Ping! Yes it broke into two pieces, and I laughed as it was quite funny to see. The right tool for the job you know.

I've had many knives fail me - some as soon as I open the packaging; but most being when I first take it in hand. Typical presentation is a sense of disappointment, possibly accompanied by an expressive sigh.
Not the kind of failure you meant?

I've had many knives fail me - some as soon as I open the packaging; but most being when I first take it in hand. Typical presentation is a sense of disappointment, possibly accompanied by an expressive sigh.
Not the kind of failure you meant?
Hah, this happened to me with the Benchmade Shinola Valet. Grail knife, thought it'd be awesome. Then I finally got one... and I hated how it felt and handled. Now it just sits in its bag in its box inside another box o knives.

No but I'm not hard on knives.

I just use them to cut SOFT stuff (at least softer than the knife blade) and I don't use them to hack stuff (that's what axes and hatchets are for) and I don't pound anything on them.

And I don't pry anything w/them either. That's what screwdrivers are for. LOL! ;)

Guess it comes from working in a garage for awhile where I learned to always take care of your tools; never abuse them and always clean them before you put them away.

So, no "Forged In Fire" type use or testing of any knives by me. LOL!!!

Last edited:
I had a S110v paramilitary 2 break across the spydi hole cutting the head off a frozen pilchard.

I know that I have had one or two“El Cheapo” knives fail me but, I cannot remember the details.

Probably operator error.

EDIT: I do remember one liner lock that would not stay locked.
Does that count?

I had a fairly expensive custom Ti frame lock come unlocked on me and almost cut my hand. I was using it to chop a limb the size of my finger out of the trail and it came unlocked. It is the only knife I ever have to come unlocked.

The last knife that failed me was a $14 husky box cutter two years ago. I was bored of my old box cutter so i got a fancy button lock one. It grenaded after two weeks tiling a bathroom. The button lock stop pin just sheared off. What did I expect for $14? Well, I went back to using my old one and it still hasn't died. That one is a mechanic back lock that I have gotten around 5 years of full time construction work out of. I just can't break it. I still need to get a replacement before this one gives up the ghost. I ordered a fancy $250 Utilizer flipper on the way to hopefully replace it, but we'll see.

Benchmade Presidio on 440C, I was cutting and huge chunk of the blade chipped off. Benchmade replaced the blade but I really found I don't like 440C

I wish I had a pic, but my bar manager broke a Wusthof 8" bread knife blade in 2. What remained was the handle and like 1 inch of blade, a clean break and the rest of the blade. Granted he said he was tapping it on the bar o_O. The business end went flying into a customer's lap. Luckily nobody got hurt. The guy... he's a local... and the guy who married my wife and I!

Only one: A 1980's Gerber. I think they (a) forgot to heat treat it or (b) repurposed a car body part. Slicing warm butter dulled it. (not an exaggeration:( )
I eventually sent it to the land fill ... in pieces ... over a period of weeks ... No way anyone could attempt to "rescue" that P.O.S. knife shaped object.

That was my first, and last Gerber. It was actually worse than a 1950's/1960's sub 50¢ Frost "Made in Japan" "Gas Station Special" knife shaped object!
(take note that in the 1950's and 1960's "Made in Japan" was far, far, far lower quality than even the lowest quality "Made in Pakistan" is today.)

Last edited:
The only "failures" I have ever had are a couple of traditional knives whose back springs broke. I wasn't using them at the time.

The most recent one was my Opinel ebony chipping off piece of wood from the handle and the tip was super soft. I got replacement but I sold it off.

Ka-bar becker (can't remember the model now) nuts came off after few hours of use. I remember the reply from fans was basically "you should have known to tighten/locktite them before use". :rolleyes:

Zero tolerance framelock (the one with the tigerstripe coating) could be closed by just pressing the spine with hand.

Fällkniven F1 chipped by just foor processing.

Chris Reeve professional soldier literally dulled after one cardboard slice. It felt like the biggest ripoff for me.

Some that come to mind right off the bat. Of course I've had disappointing quality ones too but those I returned.

Back