Did CS updgrade the G10 scales on the Recon 1? OR do I have a fake??

BJ987

Gold Member
I have here two Recon 1s (don't ask why), both from the same retailer, purchased a week apart. Both the newer versions with S35VN. The first has the pants-ripping, overly rough-textured G10 scales that the Recon 1 is known for. The second has much much smoother G10 scales, textured much like other knives. The difference is obvious in the pics. Everything else about the knives (and the boxes they came in) are identical to my eyes. Does anyone know if Cold Steel changed the G10 scales on the Recon 1 recently? It would make sense because the original rough texture has been the biggest popular complaint of the series. I just need to know because I have to send one back. If I have a clone, how else would I know?
qq20eIU805IINBjg1OQH4Q0ncBQkt475EdJb3wEnJPGCXYCIQ_Zp9SML2Y796d-UKv7pRlfsQXD8NZW1atoDWK-YpuVZ4ee2uAsdRtmDZq72UB4aZ-UOYRXeiOMkQDMFiKYSOpeMPDGz-U791LTzeuvKxKFQr94MP2pFwy4mEja_LmwWv6zby-XwbY7aam7hM39FzB2AGxGZ-cjIUizrOX86VQRcG6_WENKP8AwbMlJFctutDdNgTRO3ua_EjYM37rkBBQ2nFLWWomx4-cN4ovWna-hfEJcJbdVeH5y_ImEnnperaJzho98Sj0MtQrjueHononKn_Hur6tx6RPc4pvxmTXH8vfobi4KDVh3ae0Cd3ZdBC9OyV9W0ob0kY1nnpoVZpUJa03MHXr27OIEg9BteWBTorNcnyi-e3lDsI65P8fn9neBPYr8WXGGgZsVeNAnFeaK54kGO6Fph1hWMPHE2tibyQqS9OozTtpMXhnH2lY7sghNTMzBSG853NtWn2PSRMgb3IwcQrZQ6oBaXACl81uIAytIel_sSlpweRqDqj3XOqgG0uS-A5jWNZABa1j1VtGOntIRNPblKs-bgSOmhJ71gW1sgDVxwjonZjVgIpBe3mnKeZjTi1UXslRTQU_ITJcDGn_nU2RRd2QsHhFdXmaTyuS_ZXeHj0D8PrJ8QklHee383k8eKR8_TRu0=w1204-h903-no
n7VIIAVyVhmRGux5se_cgHcDXqL3FQJFmrrwWYeH1_1EucyMPwTr72zYDMjrW9pUwj69EOm-CLqphA9CLp8d0f-5IJe1zHoCok2jF9khN6JPjJRdY2iHwVYqVedIlX5cm_oLzS1p3ifXPHBMvzjib9cmBKppniRGsD_y1HKR74MzswD0duMyFveTbPxENvySrzLRBrHKe2gEOoj13qdnja8FJhxwNjcwe_qQahuaJDsI4h4gFstwCyKaVAP9B4hjP7pYR6Ge8xjKwFuY8bQgbkAsKsLYBZBjGD4YBiSjTnspGAuSMSI7VsXzTdls0T6RY1aXBmkdjw9MnGjtmZ3vYuP5GopPX3sONgpQ0jvhPsAA_nLPr5-yPyHvcq7I7DcBveviCSI_Ydu6konpk2ZHIK0y7OlgtK9yWXo8BWdKtTDQAk4e5AyuqjX2ojClnTYeTJ5FJjjEEQ4eWooHXsZXfcOQ7dt4NE3cqTRTXzU3GNMMcP1csqCGvbWfuGWE0u3oaLhHzP0BzzqgQo-uai4SEEvdApocuPzWw72p60w0vziRzPQpHsZE3MKQWduqDaYWlqquR3JxYHX6QdVO2pSxBG9XVoysVPyCh_luVFQqemKmBS-ezaXoxhkYhFSWrF5LN2bnnhbJe75tV2d0ONpdL7xfY0dxhLS-wfx-a2RXbrK5d5HCO6jSc_U-OnmeG7o=w1204-h903-no

I bought a Recon 1 in 2018 (S35VN) and the scales looked like the top one in your photos.

I bought a Recon 1 in 2018 (S35VN) and the scales looked like the top one in your photos.
On the retailers site, it appears from posted reviews w/ pics, that everyone who bought one before 2020 have the one with the rough scales like the top photo. A reviews posted in the past few months show a model like the one in my second pic, with smoother scales. It still doesn't necessarily mean they're not fake... I hope someone who's purchased one recently from BHQ or KC can see this and comment... Also, it's weird that I got 2 from the same retailer in the same month (this month) and I got two versions.

Let's try this in the Cold Steel Forum.

I have here two Recon 1s (don't ask why), both from the same retailer, purchased a week apart. Both the newer versions with S35VN. The first has the pants-ripping, overly rough-textured G10 scales that the Recon 1 is known for. The second has much much smoother G10 scales, textured much like other knives. The difference is obvious in the pics. Everything else about the knives (and the boxes they came in) are identical to my eyes. Does anyone know if Cold Steel changed the G10 scales on the Recon 1 recently? It would make sense because the original rough texture has been the biggest popular complaint of the series. I just need to know because I have to send one back. If I have a clone, how else would I know?
qq20eIU805IINBjg1OQH4Q0ncBQkt475EdJb3wEnJPGCXYCIQ_Zp9SML2Y796d-UKv7pRlfsQXD8NZW1atoDWK-YpuVZ4ee2uAsdRtmDZq72UB4aZ-UOYRXeiOMkQDMFiKYSOpeMPDGz-U791LTzeuvKxKFQr94MP2pFwy4mEja_LmwWv6zby-XwbY7aam7hM39FzB2AGxGZ-cjIUizrOX86VQRcG6_WENKP8AwbMlJFctutDdNgTRO3ua_EjYM37rkBBQ2nFLWWomx4-cN4ovWna-hfEJcJbdVeH5y_ImEnnperaJzho98Sj0MtQrjueHononKn_Hur6tx6RPc4pvxmTXH8vfobi4KDVh3ae0Cd3ZdBC9OyV9W0ob0kY1nnpoVZpUJa03MHXr27OIEg9BteWBTorNcnyi-e3lDsI65P8fn9neBPYr8WXGGgZsVeNAnFeaK54kGO6Fph1hWMPHE2tibyQqS9OozTtpMXhnH2lY7sghNTMzBSG853NtWn2PSRMgb3IwcQrZQ6oBaXACl81uIAytIel_sSlpweRqDqj3XOqgG0uS-A5jWNZABa1j1VtGOntIRNPblKs-bgSOmhJ71gW1sgDVxwjonZjVgIpBe3mnKeZjTi1UXslRTQU_ITJcDGn_nU2RRd2QsHhFdXmaTyuS_ZXeHj0D8PrJ8QklHee383k8eKR8_TRu0=w1204-h903-no
n7VIIAVyVhmRGux5se_cgHcDXqL3FQJFmrrwWYeH1_1EucyMPwTr72zYDMjrW9pUwj69EOm-CLqphA9CLp8d0f-5IJe1zHoCok2jF9khN6JPjJRdY2iHwVYqVedIlX5cm_oLzS1p3ifXPHBMvzjib9cmBKppniRGsD_y1HKR74MzswD0duMyFveTbPxENvySrzLRBrHKe2gEOoj13qdnja8FJhxwNjcwe_qQahuaJDsI4h4gFstwCyKaVAP9B4hjP7pYR6Ge8xjKwFuY8bQgbkAsKsLYBZBjGD4YBiSjTnspGAuSMSI7VsXzTdls0T6RY1aXBmkdjw9MnGjtmZ3vYuP5GopPX3sONgpQ0jvhPsAA_nLPr5-yPyHvcq7I7DcBveviCSI_Ydu6konpk2ZHIK0y7OlgtK9yWXo8BWdKtTDQAk4e5AyuqjX2ojClnTYeTJ5FJjjEEQ4eWooHXsZXfcOQ7dt4NE3cqTRTXzU3GNMMcP1csqCGvbWfuGWE0u3oaLhHzP0BzzqgQo-uai4SEEvdApocuPzWw72p60w0vziRzPQpHsZE3MKQWduqDaYWlqquR3JxYHX6QdVO2pSxBG9XVoysVPyCh_luVFQqemKmBS-ezaXoxhkYhFSWrF5LN2bnnhbJe75tV2d0ONpdL7xfY0dxhLS-wfx-a2RXbrK5d5HCO6jSc_U-OnmeG7o=w1204-h903-no
I can't see your photos , did you use a image hosting site ?

My Recon 1 is an older version with XHP steel , and has a fairly rough texture on the G10 handle .

Those handles are very easy to sand down to however smooth you like , by the way .

Last edited:
I’ve bought 3 new recon 1’s recently from different retailers. 2 came with the new smoother scales and 1 came with the old stock rough scales.

This is a noted change and there’s even a thread about it here. They are 100% genuine.

Yes CS recently changed to smoother g10 scales. Im guessing once the retailers run out of the old stocks you’ll start seeing more smooth scales version. I’ve started to see more and more pics of the smooth scale recon popping up on instagram, and they are all legit.

I wished Cold Steel would use the same thick smoother g-10 scale for other models like the lawman. The thick g-10 with rounded edge is what makes the Recon 1 handle so comfortable to use.

Yes CS recently changed to smoother g10 scales. Im guessing once the retailers run out of the old stocks you’ll start seeing more smooth scales version. I’ve started to see more and more pics of the smooth scale recon popping up on instagram, and they are all legit.

I wished Cold Steel would use the same thick smoother g-10 scale for other models like the lawman. The thick g-10 with rounded edge is what makes the Recon 1 handle so comfortable to use.
I just got my first Lawman this week and I thinking the exact same thing! The biggest surprise and disappointment when I took it out of the box was how thin and smooth the scales are. It still feels tough but it definitely doesn't look like the same knife as the one shown in some older YT videos being batonned (sp?) and stabbed through wood.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and thing I might've misunderstood it. My new Lawman has smooth G10 scales but they are definitely not thick. In fact, I wonder whether I'd actually prefer if they kept this one with the rough scales. Anyone know if they made the scales thinner with the update? I'd be interested in an older Lawman with thicker scales if it might exist anywhere (and no, not if it's the old old AUS-8 version).

Ok, I clicked the link and basically answered my question. Still definitely interested in the slightly older Lawman with thicker scales. Anyone know any retailers that might still have those?

Last edited:
Not sure about older stock availability, but I also prefer the older model Lawman with the thicker and rougher G10. It filled the hand better and also allowed you to press down harder before the handle started to dig in your palm.

I just got my first Lawman this week and I thinking the exact same thing! The biggest surprise and disappointment when I took it out of the box was how thin and smooth the scales are. It still feels tough but it definitely doesn't look like the same knife as the one shown in some older YT videos being batonned (sp?) and stabbed through wood.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and thing I might've misunderstood it. My new Lawman has smooth G10 scales but they are definitely not thick. In fact, I wonder whether I'd actually prefer if they kept this one with the rough scales. Anyone know if they made the scales thinner with the update? I'd be interested in an older Lawman with thicker scales if it might exist anywhere (and no, not if it's the old old AUS-8 version).

Ok, I clicked the link and basically answered my question. Still definitely interested in the slightly older Lawman with thicker scales. Anyone know any retailers that might still have those?
CS switched to thinner scale for lawman since 2015 when they also updated the steel to XHP(and subsequently s35vn). They could have just updated the steel and do nothing else. I like the smoother texture, but definitely not the thin scale.
It was one step forward, one step back.

CS switched to thinner scale for lawman since 2015 when they also updated the steel to XHP(and subsequently s35vn). They could have just updated the steel and do nothing else. I like the smoother texture, but definitely not the thin scale.
It was one step forward, one step back.
I agree... Dang, I'd kill for one with just slightly thicker scales. I love everything else about the knife. It feels "off" for the scales to be so thin...

I believe the smoother texture of the g100 may represent a generalized improvement for Cold Steel. I just received an Air Lite last night, it it has the improved smoother g10 scales.

I believe the smoother texture of the g100 may represent a generalized improvement for Cold Steel. I just received an Air Lite last night, it it has the improved smoother g10 scales.
Yeah, as far as I can tell from other replies not just on this thread, they are using the smoother texture on all their old models now, and phasing out the pocket-tear texture. So it makes sense that their newer models like the Air Lite would have the smooth textured scales off the bat. There are certain knives like the American Lawman where I actually would prefer the old, rougher scales as they are thicker as well... And some models like the AK-47, that I'm waiting for them to upgrade to the smoother scales before I get one.

I'd be interested to know if anyone purchased an AK-47 recently and got the smooth texture scales. Maybe I'll make another thread about it...

Yeah, as far as I can tell from other replies not just on this thread, they are using the smoother texture on all their old models now, and phasing out the pocket-tear texture. So it makes sense that their newer models like the Air Lite would have the smooth textured scales off the bat. There are certain knives like the American Lawman where I actually would prefer the old, rougher scales as they are thicker as well... And some models like the AK-47, that I'm waiting for them to upgrade to the smoother scales before I get one.

I'd be interested to know if anyone purchased an AK-47 recently and got the smooth texture scales. Maybe I'll make another thread about it...
They could've use a thicker smooth scale for Lawman too, just like the current Recon 1

:rolleyes: Very common review complaint in general for CS folders is being TOO thick, bulky and heavy for EDC .

The thinner scales on some models are probably to try for their business . Easy , low profile carry .

Still lots of nice thick handled folders from CS to choose from . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:rolleyes: Very common review complaint in general for CS folders is being TOO thick, bulky and heavy for EDC .

The thinner scales on some models are probably to try for their business . Easy , low profile carry .

Still lots of nice thick handled folders from CS to choose from . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I never held the older thick handled Lawman, but I like the current thin handles for carry. The thin handles are part of the appeal of the Code 4. I don t seem to have any trouble using the Lawman for fairly heavy outdoor work. The Lawman handles are smooth enough to avoid damaging my pants with the clip, but textured enough for a good grip. My hand doesn't slip on the current handles when wet.

Lol at the logic :rolleyes:. Sure, but nothing with lawman sized and shape. Im not going to carry an espada just because it has thicker handle. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Would love to hear where the common reviewer complaints come from. Thick scaled model like lawman and recon 1 was never thick, heavy and bulky. When it comes to thickness, griptilian for example is thicker. When it comes to weight, the manix 2 is heavier. When it comes to bulkiness, the 0350 pretty much unbeatable. The old lawman and recon 1 is pretty much the same thickness as the Paramilitary 2 and the Military.

in fact, after CS switched to linerless G10, they consistently have much higher strength and lighter weight than similar competing models.

Last edited:
Back