Did something stupid, Doctor?

Mark Williams

I just dunked my hand down into a vat of ferric chloride with and open knuckle wound. Is my finger going to rot off? I wet it down and pasted it with a slurry of baking soda. Should I worry about it? Any experience with this. Surely im not the only one to do this.;)

Mark

Originally posted by Kit Carson
Dumbass :)

With that said, just keep it clean, and yes, I've done it too. :D

Yeah Kit, I remember that as part of your tutorial on how to make a linerlock.

Bwahahahahahahaha :D

Dumbass, hell I've done much worse than this.I feel better now that I have been dumbassed by the voice of experience:D Now Mr. Carson, repeat after me. "I will come to Trackrock in October", I will come to Trackrock in October."

Mark

Mark,
I'm gonna try. I'll be down in that area in August for Betty's family reunion and hope to get back in Oct.

Ouch! That had to hurt a lot... I just remember when I accidentally cleaned a deep cut in my hand with carbonated mineral water (I thought it was just a botte of natural water) and how much did it hurt. That had to be a lot, lot worse :( :eek:

Originally posted by PhilL
Yeah Kit, I remember that as part of your tutorial on how to make a linerlock.

Bwahahahahahahaha :D
i am sure the acid cartrised the open wound :eek: feels great don't it! i know i am alive when i pull a boner like that!:footinmou

I know how to do the "lord of the dance jig now" It didn't take but about 2 seconds to realize that I had f-ed up. How dangerous is ferric chloride. I fish ar...I used to fish around in the stuff all the time. Is it really that harmful.

Mark

Hi; just thought I'd chip in here (I'm a chemist). Ferric Chloride isn;t too bad, While youu probably wouldn't want to keep your hand in it for say a half hour or so; the short length of time it would take to "fish" something out should be no problem. As a side note; I have made reagents that use Ferric Chloride (solid) and have handled the pure material (prob. shouldn't; but) with no problems. Just rinse well and all should be fine. Hope this helps;

Anthony Lasome

It's not that bad but it's not that good either. In the electronics industry, we use it to etch the copper on circuit boards. It will stain your skin brown. The stain will not wash off. It has to "wear off" over time.

Oh yes, ferric chloride eats aluminum REALLY well. My highschool teacher put some in an aluminum baking pan then left the room. When he came back, the whole corner of the room was full of smoke and there was no pan left. Just for fun, throw in little, pea-sized chunks of aluminum and see what I mean. :D

Please don't just pour it down the drain when you are finished with it. Most larger urban centers will have a "toxic taxi" or someone making circuit boards who can dispose of it properly.

Phil

Back