Did the bm 760 ever

cchu518

Basic Member
Get issues with a non tactical blade? Anyone ever try to put on a non tactical from the factory?

What do you mean non-tactical? Do you mean non-tanto?

I have seen a couple of the 760's that were reground to have what looked like a standard clip point blade, something like a Sebenza. They looked pretty good that way but were too expensive for me. I don't mind the tanto blade that much so I'm keeping my 760 that way.

That's a darn shame, should have had a clip point model to begin with!

What do you mean non-tactical? Do you mean non-tanto?

I have seen a couple of the 760's that were reground to have what looked like a standard clip point blade, something like a Sebenza. They looked pretty good that way but were too expensive for me. I don't mind the tanto blade that much so I'm keeping my 760 that way.

I have seen the photo of a regrind: it looked great! I have got one 760 in my collection and would love to have another with non-tanto blade. I am pretty sure that would be very popular version if BM decided to produce it. On another hand I respect the way how BM handles Bob Lums designs: after all you can not ask him to make another version of his knife...

There is a kinda sorta not really non tactical version the 10700 but it doesn't have all of the goodies that the 760 has.

Revdevil don't get me wrong, after Googling Bob's designs he was/is a fan favorite. The 760 looks great! I just think I would get better use out of one with a different blade tip. I saw a reground 760 on the net and thought the blade was stock production.

I like tanto blades, not exactly tactical in my opinion. The black coating is to keep the blade from rusting out I suppose, but itn't necessary in most cases. As for tanto blades, I have no limitations using one for just about anything. I can cut just as well with one as I can with a drop point, recurve, Wharncliffe, etc. it's not the tool by itself, but the skill of the user that should count for something.

I'd certainly use it out of necessity but its not going to be my first choice. The one on the 760 isn't too bad vs say the one on the Gerber Auto 06. I tried to use one for a spell but it wasn't for me. Just opinion, but I think it would look good dressed in a drop point!

The tanto on the Lum is a serious cutter. CPM-M4 is an animal. I just cut up a large area rug with this knife, all it took to bring it back to shaving sharp was about 10 passes per side on a ceramic hone. I've seen the regrinds and perosnally, they ruin the look of the knife. It's fine as is, I'd suggest getting one before they become more scarce, they've been disco'd.
LFTi.jpg
LFTi2.jpg
IMG_2840.jpg

The tanto on the Lum is a serious cutter. CPM-M4 is an animal. I just cut up a large area rug with this knife, all it took to bring it back to shaving sharp was about 10 passes per side on a ceramic hone. I've seen the regrinds and perosnally, they ruin the look of the knife. It's fine as is, I'd suggest getting one before they become more scarce, they've been disco'd.
View attachment 385723
View attachment 385724
View attachment 385725

Thanks for the heads up its a beauty and a beast all in one package huh!

Tanto blade on the 760 is one of my all-time favorites. The regrinds that I have seen are QUITE good. Excellent in fact. And I hate them. But whatever the owner wants is good as far as I'm concerned. I just would never consider that myself. And yes, it IS excellent steel. One of the best knives I have, if not my most carried. But that has nothing to do with the blade, or the grip for that matter. Everything to do with the placement of the clip. Sticks out too much, except in work BDU's.

It's a beautiful beast alright. I take care of it but by no means am I easy on it.

760vsUPS.jpg
760vsUPS2.jpg
760vsUPS3.jpg

Personally .......Iam not a Tanto blade fan , I like reversed Tantos..........Just not much on Thick blades either.
However I love Titanium and framelocks...................
760002.jpg

760LUM004.jpg

Man it's just dizzying how many likeable knives are out there in the market! What model is that about the pardue?

DJ, I really like the folder above the 525BK-1101. Who makes that one? On your 760 that Tom reground for you, I really like that thing. My stock 760 was a lousy slicer and sold it.

If I may answer for djdawg, that's a Bastinelli above the 525.

Yes ....this is true.
They were limited in production (I know that much) ........ they made like 75 of them I think ???? Not sure.
Good knives for sure , Lion Steel made them for them I believe ........
Its a Safe sitter..........Ive got too many other knives to use.

I was actually looking at that monster above the 525, I have a 527 but not that other monster! :p
Man it's just dizzying how many likeable knives are out there in the market! What model is that about the pardue?

Back