Difference between black micarta and black linen micarta?

gunslinger387

Gold Member
Basic Member
Im in for two UF. One will be plain Jane the other with the point double edged tip. Trying to figure out the grips though. Does anyone have any pictures to compare? When I searched it a lot of the same images came up, so no help there.

Linnen micarta has a much tighter weave. I like the look and patterns better.

I've had linnen, canvas, paper micarta, g10, g11, etc.

I think in lighter colors I might sometimes opt for canvas, depending on what colors looked like. I think antique canvas in lighter colors can be very pretty. My favorite look has been Linnen, though, especially with different colors in the weave.

Canvas micarta will be more gripper. Especially when it is wet. If you are looking at black color, canvas (especially the unbuffed ones) will look more gray than black compared to linen. If you like the canvas to be really black, you have to oil it continuously with mineral oil until the canvas adsorbed in the oil. Or just soak the whole handle into the mineral oil for a few days.

Canvas adsorbs moisture more than linen. Hence, if you see yourself processing games with it, canvas might not be an good option. You don’t want your handle to soak in all the blood from the game you processed.

+1 to the above; I have processed quite a bit with a linen micarta handled knife I have with no issues but canvas micarta you want to scrub with hot water/soap when you get back from the field. I find G10 pretty slippery for this task but it has the inherent non absorbtion properties that may make you want to choose it over micartas pending the knife’s task/role.

Not the greatest lighting in the pic but the HDFK is Buffed Black Linen and the UF is buffed Black Canvas.

hNKPDoG.jpg

A detailed pic comparing the fiber texture of linen and canvas. The linen is very nice to the touch, smooth but with a very fine texture, literally like a hardened bed sheet. Canvas is also smooth to the touch but when you dig in with finger pressure you get more tack with the larger fibers, more grippy.
Linen will also be darker and more uniform in color, so the black linen will be more.. black.
Pictured here is maroon.

lQMu1pb.jpg

Attachments

• linen_micarta.jpg
    linen_micarta.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 5
Sorry, didn’t explain very well. I was asking about the differences between canvas and linen micarta. Is one more forgiving than the other? Does one wear less being constantly drawn from kydex? Do they use the same resin? Thanks.

Same resin, same material. Only difference is the type of fiber used, canvas or linen.
Both equally strong, I think linen might hold up slightly better to abrasion as the fibers are smaller, canvas can get a little ragged on corners and the larger fibers will stick out a bit and be fuzzy. But we're talking surface wear only, both very very strong no practical difference other than texture.

Back