Difference between Suehiro Rika 5k and Cerax 5k???

hey there I’m looking t get a finishing stone and wannna try Suehiro... can anyone tell me the difference between the Cerax 5 k and the Rika 5k? Also what would be best for softer stainless steels ? I do have a couple D2 and 1095 carbon blades so it’s not all softer stainless.. anywho.. yea thanks for everything in advance .. ohh and of course if anyone doesn’t care for or thinks they are the greatest I’d love to hear why also

I have a Rika 5K and a Cerax 6K and they both work great for me,I sometimes use them after I have used my Venev OCB stones for further edge refinement,they seem to cut average steels at a good rate for a higher grit stone and do not to bad with a lot of supers steels.

I use the Venev stones first on steels like S30V S35VN S90 M390 M4 then I switch to the Rika or the Cerax to further refine the edge,on those kinds of steels I find it better to use diamonds first then move to water stones like the ones being mentioned.

If you were to try and sharpen a lot of the steels I mentioned with the Rika or Cerax stones it would be slow going even if you started off with lower grit stones,but to use them as the final stones in your sharpening process they work great for me,I have never sharpened D2 but I think from what I know about D2's make up the Cerax and Rika's would be fine.

The Cerax from what I understand are supposed to be a bit more aggressive cutting stones but they are just a bit more aggressive in my opinion,I would get the Cerax myself first because they still leave a really nice edge although they are the more aggressive cutting stones and they refine the edge very well.

Another stone that gets looked past a lot is the Suehiro G8 8K stone,I like it because it's a Silicon Carbide stone so it's a good cutting stone for harder to cut steels at higher grit and it doesn't tear up the edge it's very gentle just like an Aluminum Oxide stone.

When it comes to anything Suehiro makes you pretty much can't go wrong buying but the Cerax would be the faster cutting stone over the Rika.

Back