Different Levels Of Hostile....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistwalker

Gold Member
There are different types of hostile environments...and different levels of hostility within those environments. Now granted Robert...as well as many veterans out there...have seen far more hostile environments than I have. It doesn't get much more hostile than some of the middle east regions where messages to other factions are left through beheadings, or in areas of the far east where messages are sent to other factions via disemboweled and emasculated men drifting down a river tied to the mast of a boat (sorry Robert but you were the one who evoked images from apocalypse now).

I jokingly talk about the hostility of this place...

DSC_6553.jpg

With the kids wanting to negotiate dessert...

DSC_6570.jpg

and I always have certain tools on me for contingencies (including the small flashlight in my pocket)...such as greedy eyes wanting half my burger to go with their chicken nuggets...

DSC_6588.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

But there are more hostile environments within any city. One of my hobbies is low light and night time photography...These shots were taken from the middle of the Market Street Bridge and the down town side of the Tennessee River very early in the morning, an hour or so before sunrise, a few days ago.

DSC_6456.jpg

DSC_6489.jpg

DSC_6480.jpg

DSC_6485.jpg

A few weeks ago, roughly fifty meters from my position here behind the hamburger restaurant in the left of this picture, a man was held at gun point by three men, robbed, stuffed into his own trunk, driven to his own home, and left in his trunk as his house was robbed and afterward.

DSC_6551.jpg

End part 1 of 5

A few days later, up behind these condos, the same thing happened. Only this time the man was able to escape his trunk at a red light, get help, and the perpetrators were soon apprehended.

DSC_6544.jpg

Both of those happening on the eastern edge of our "tourist" area as well as a few other happenings scattered around the periphery of the tourist area left many feeling like this was a hostile environment...which most tourist locations are targeted in such ways. By the way, neither of these two men were tourists, both were getting to work early in the morning.

This is the scene I found yesterday morning at 5:30am as I warmed my truck up. Yes it is mild compared to the snows of the north but unusual for this far south this early in the year.

DSC_6653.jpg

occurring on the heels of two days of rain...it made things messy yesterday morning with it taking four-wheel-drive just to get out of my drive way.

DSC_6642.jpg

This is the view as I made my way through town, and stopped to look around for a few minutes.

DSC_6656.jpg

DSC_6660.jpg

DSC_6663.jpg

The flags lining the "Veteran's Bridge" gives you an idea of the winds.

DSC_6680.jpg

Effective marketing leads to a well worn path.

DSC_6666.jpg

My first real stop was Rembrandt's up in the "Art District" for breakfast. I love this little area because it is like an island escape in this crazy little city.

DSC_6701.jpg

The restaurants here have their own vegetable and herb gardens where they grow some of their own stuff in the warm months. I was surprised to see some of the trees in the gardens still bearing fruit. It looks like a type of persimmon but I am not sure until I get it identified...but I did make a mental note of their locations.

DSC_6691.jpg

End part 2 of 5

From in here the outside environment doesn't seem harsh at all really.

DSC_6705.jpg

Even with today's headlines and weather, people in their BMWs, Mercedes, and Lexus' pull up and jaunt inside sporting short sleeves to get their pastries and cappuccino, enjoy their breakfasts in a warm pleasant atmosphere and head off to work.

DSC_6710.jpg

DSC_6708.jpg

But nothing in this world is ever truly certain. Things can suddenly change and give you a completely new perspective on life. When you literally go from this one day....

DSC_6707.jpg

To this three days later, with nothing to eat in between. (I'm not talking briefly as I did today, but rather long term as in what happened to me thirty years ago when I was 15), and you have no safe warm spot at all to return to, then this environment can seem extremely hostile and it's even just that much worse in a northern state where the temps are even lower...I got my baptism in "winter-on-the-streets" in St. Louis Mo. having never experienced -30 wind chills.

IMG_3037.jpg

Now, as for any learning from this story...this is how I learned to cope with things like this. First off...make friends. These girls don't like going out in the subzero temps, sleet, rain, and snow in the middle of the night any more than anyone else. In many cases if you actually make friends with them, do favors for them, and make their lives easier, and make them feel a little safer in the dark hours of the night and they will return the favor with warm coffee, "accidentally" prepared or slightly burned food and often pitch in a little out of their tips to help you get through your day or their off days. Call them psychos, call them b!#ches...whatever, often it is true, but for me many may have just as well been angels, as they played a major role in my still being alive today.

DSC_6099.jpg

Sometimes making a few pennies or a few dollars here and there is easier than others. Either way local inner city grocery stores can be places to spot some bargains with things that need to be eaten soon or thrown away. In the winter you'll want to look for things that will give you as many calories for your money as possible.

DSC_6658.jpg

Living on the city streets often this will be your dining room... this time of year there is seldom any competition for space

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

This will be your kitchen...

IMG_3019.jpg

end part 3 of 5

and this will be your charcoal...

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

Working under these conditions chemical tinder is quicker and more efficient. At surplus stores Trioxane can be picked up really cheap, and will work well under very wet conditions when you are cooking guerrilla style. Just use a stick and clear out as much snow as you can.

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

High-tech tools like these are great to have, they work under pretty much any conditions.

IMG_3022.jpg

But if prying eyes are around it's probably better not to appear too well equipped...

IMG_3023.jpg

The trioxane will burn hot for right at eight minutes regardless of a little moisture in it's environment. You don't want to inhale the fumes, and you do want to let it burn completely before starting to cook over the flames unless using a pot.

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

end part 4 of 5

IMG_3031.jpg

In your hurry to eat you are going to be tempted to throw the whole thing on the fire at once...don't do this, it will cook faster in pieces even if you have to tear whatever you're cooking with your bare hands.

IMG_3034.jpg

Under these conditions, it really doesn't matter that your dining room table is a bit wet and icy...

IMG_3037.jpg

You're likely going to be eating right here in front of the fire anyway...

IMG_3039.jpg

and you're going to scoot your food over to keep it from burning while you absorb every bit of warmth you can.

IMG_3045.jpg

Whether because of a shrunken stomach, wanting to get out of the wind, out of fuel, or just needing to get out of the area....you may not eat it all, in fact best that you don't really. Take the bag from the store, if you don't have anything else, wrap it up and stick it in a pocket or a pack.

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

Because you will need it later. If tonight is the night your friends don't work and you don't have the money for coffee...while you are laying up in your hide out of the wind...these leftovers will be the little slice of heaven that helps you endure the long cold night.

That said I hope none of you ever need this information...but in all honesty I never expected to need it either...

Mist, not only great shots this time, but a very thought provoking thread as well. First, take those shots of the bridges w/ the light, blow them up to about 11"x 17" +/-, & put them on the 'bay . . Send me the first print . . . :) Second, I can not count the number of times I have cleaned the windshields off for the girls where my wife & I eat most of the time, or at the pharmacy when her & I are out & about, we will bring all the people lunch back. And it's true, the statement with the coffee & food just sometimes happening to appear on our table, & twice last winter, our bill never made it to our table either. Third, I have become more aware of our surroundings since my wife's medical issues this year, it would be very difficult for her to get away from danger, so I am much more aware of where we go & where we are before we even come out of our car or store.
And finally to end this rambling, I am glad you made it from where you were. A friend of mine had a similar situation, so I got to see this first hand, & he, like you, is still around to be my friend. Great shots, Waffle House got some more free advertising, but the last half subject matter was the heart of it all. Thank you for reminding us all to be thankful for what we have today . . .
Be safe.

In my opinion Chattanooga definitely qualifies as a dangerous place. In this area anyway. Lot of shootings this year. I had the misfortune of doing a part time job at the Harriet Tubman housing projects a couple of years ago and didn't much care for it. Great post as always Mist!

Very good. Great post.

Great post:thumbup:

awesome post mistwalker!!

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the post.

Mist, not only great shots this time, but a very thought provoking thread as well. First, take those shots of the bridges w/ the light, blow them up to about 11"x 17" +/-, & put them on the 'bay . . Send me the first print . . . :) Second, I can not count the number of times I have cleaned the windshields off for the girls where my wife & I eat most of the time, or at the pharmacy when her & I are out & about, we will bring all the people lunch back. And it's true, the statement with the coffee & food just sometimes happening to appear on our table, & twice last winter, our bill never made it to our table either. Third, I have become more aware of our surroundings since my wife's medical issues this year, it would be very difficult for her to get away from danger, so I am much more aware of where we go & where we are before we even come out of our car or store.
And finally to end this rambling, I am glad you made it from where you were. A friend of mine had a similar situation, so I got to see this first hand, & he, like you, is still around to be my friend. Great shots, Waffle House got some more free advertising, but the last half subject matter was the heart of it all. Thank you for reminding us all to be thankful for what we have today . . .
Be safe.

Thanks man, glad you liked the post. I could actually print these off a bit larger than that...

It's been my experience that positive energy sent out into the world is usually returned...just not always how or when you expect or want it to be..

Among the reasons I patronize the W.H. so much today are to give back for what I received, and to be ever aware of how things have changed...and to remind myself how much I have to be thankful for.

In my opinion Chattanooga definitely qualifies as a dangerous place. In this area anyway. Lot of shootings this year. I had the misfortune of doing a part time job at the Harriet Tubman housing projects a couple of years ago and didn't much care for it. Great post as always Mist!

Thanks Jack, I remember that little project...no qway I would have participated on it though. I saw the progress as i drove by on my way to Evan's lumber 3 or four times a week.

Chattanooga has a lot of beauty, a lot of history, and some great scenery. The mountains here have called me home every time I have left.

That said yes I agree. Between the ever growing gang presence, tensions over illegal immigration that are ever building, the chemical plants, the nuclear power plants, and Oak Ridge just up the road I see it as quite a hostile environment in ways.

Great post Mist and as always superb pictures!!! :thumbup:

One of the most hostile places in my neck of the woods at this time of year is Walmart.

Great post Mist and as always superb pictures!!! :thumbup:

One of the most hostile places in my neck of the woods at this time of year is Walmart.

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it!

Lol, walmart hasn't gotten that hostile yet from what I've heard but I'm pretty sure Hamilton Place Mall has seen some hostilities....Jingle all the way lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back