Digital Camera help.

I'm planning on getting one, can anyone give me recommendations?

I'm looking for something under $300.

I'd also appreciate general info and stuff, since I'm new to this.

Thanks!

What do you plan on using it for: internet or printing pics? For internet use, 640 by 480(or something like that)is more than good enough for the web. You can find them for under $100. If you are printing photo quality pics you probably need at minimum 2 megs of resolution.

If you are into the 2 Meg range (which I would consider the absolute minimum nowdays), you should consider a camera with the IBM hard drive.

Memory is expensive; an inexpensive digital camera may be inexpensive as it comes with very little memory. Thus, you have to add on to the memory to make the camera convenient.

The IBM hard drive had 340 Meg originally. They recently announced a 500 Meg and 1 Gig hard drive. I would look for a camera with one of these drives. The 340 Meg was a $200 option on my Casio QV 3000-EX camera. It is well worth it. With 3.3 Megapixels, when you boot up the camera you have 245 pictures you can take at the finest quality setting.

Hope this helps. Walt

Dragon,

I've been very happy with my Olympus D-360L which I got locally for under $250.00.

For my purposes, it works great, and the online reviews were almost universally positive from a variety of independent and commercial sources.

Take a look at the pix in my online picture album (below my sig) and you can see the type of quality you can expect with it.

By the way, these pictures were taken at the standard setting, not the setting which offers the highest quality resolution.

The lesser quality pictures in my album were taken with an older Sony camera (FD-73)which I had borrowed from work. You'll be able to see the difference readily.

Good luck in your search.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Blues' Knife Pix

Dragon1, I think it's not so much which camera you get, but the techniques of the person behind the camera. Lighting is very important and takes lots of practice, especially on knife pictures. It is nice if the camera utilizes a disk. I haven't mastered mine yet.

Check out the Sony DSC-S50. It's a 2.1 mp camera, which also takes short mpeg clips (up to 15 sec.) w/sound.
Look here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1472069&a=11212669 for some photos I took of my friends knives with this camera. For example, I used the macro setting to take this photo:
View

Actually, I used the macro seting to take all the photos, the knives are so small. It also has a rotating LCD screen that flips out from the body, not just one fixed in place. The only bad things, really, are that it's maximum resolution is 72 pixels per inch (fine for the web, but not great for making fine prints), and you can't use an external flash unit with it. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.

Oh, and it also costs about $500 and change. But it's a good camera for the money, and you might find it for less on the 'net.

Good luck with whatever you buy,
Frank

------------------
Ephesians 1:7- "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace..." The Bible Gateway

[This message has been edited by FrankieCrabs (edited 01-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by FrankieCrabs (edited 01-30-2001).]

Dragon,

There are a handful of settings for resolution depending on your wants/needs.

I generally use the HQ setting which gives me 36 shots on an 8 meg card (included). You get many more shots at the lower SQ setting, but I find for my purposes, (taking pix of knives etc) that the 36 exposures are enough and the quality is quite good.

Glad to be of help.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Blues' Knife Pix

...Double Tap....

[This message has been edited by Blues (edited 01-30-2001).]

Back