Digital Camera???

I realize that this post is way off topic, but I'm sure that if anyone can help me, you guys can.
I'm looking for a digital camera so that I can post pics on the web ( I'd like to show you my INFI family, so far.)
I'm basically computer illiterate, as you can tell from some of my posts,and my computer is an old one(a Dell Pentiumll,450.
The camera has to be as SIMPLE as possible to operate. It also has to be as INEXPENSIVE as possible. I can't be puttin out all these $$$$$ for INFI, and invest in a Good camera also.:D :D
Again, the primary use of this camera will be to take pics,and transfer them to the web.
I saw an ad for a VIVITAR, cost $80, which had the following features:
640 x 480 (VGA) Resolution 8 MB Built-in Flash Memory - Stores 64 images (fine quality)
1/3 inch CMOS sensor 2-Way Auto Flash
USB connectivity to your PC Twain Shutter Speeds: 1/1000 to 1 second (automatic)
Automatic Shutter & White Balance Focus-Free lens (35mm equivalent of 52 mm)
Optical viewfinder 10-second Electronic Self Timer
PC Compatible Windows 98/Me/2000/XP 1 Year Warranty

Since most of the specs are greek to me, I don't know if this would be a good choice for me or not.
All input will be greatly appreciated.

Hey, I have been using a Sony 2.1 megapixel for the occasional picture I have posted here. I would NOT recommend getting any camera with less than 2 megapixels in resolution/quality. As is with 2.1 you will not be happy if you get prints from the images. If your only use will be for posting here, then the camera you mentioned would be ok. However if you also think you will use it for the family pics, than invest the extra money and get a better camera.

my .02

I agree with MTN, you get what you pay for.....got to a shop, look around and talk to some people. I have a Minolta Diamage S404, 4 megapixel 4 zoom, awesome camera, but above your price point. For basic stuff, look for a camera with 2-3 megapixels and 2+ zoom.....and from what I hear, stay away from Nikons.....

Also, go to some camera magazine websites and check out their ratings, you'll get good ideas on which cameras are good.....

I have owned 6 digital cameras. In my humble opinion, your best bet is a Sony, Canon, or Minolta. The biggest issue with digital cameras above 1 Mega Pixels is not the resolution but light gathering. The CCD's in the cheaper cameras (under $1,500) are still pretty bad. So to achieve your best results you'll need to take your shots outside using ambient light. It is best to take them at dusk, to take advantage of the atmospheric refraction. I hope this helps.

Yes! Buy minimum 2 mpx!

I have just upgraded from a Sony DP51(2.2mpx) to a DP71(3.2mpx). While the 71 goes a little higher in resolution (2048 or something), it has the macro function. The difference in quality using the macro function for knife pics is awesome! The claritty is 10 fold. A cheaper option would be something like the Kodak DX series. Starting at 2.2 mega pixel and comes with docker for very very easy use!

Good luck and when you make the choice, we want pics!!!!

After some reserch,it appears that the easiest camera to use is the Sony Mavica. Just take pics, slip the disc into the computer and go.
Does this sound right? If so what would be the least expensive model to look for.
I hate to look for a used model, unless I know the person that I'm buying it from. Some sites are selling "remanufactured" models, which appears to be a fancy way of saying used.
If I'm barking up the wrong tree with the Mavica, please let me know.

The low end mavica are excellent value for money, but never having used one, can not comment on their output...still, Sony are top notch.

As a professional photographer who just bought a nearly $8,000 (!) digital camera, I disagree with most of the folks here.

If you are really just looking for something which will take low-res pictures for web-pages, then any digital camera on the market will do. Buy the cheapest you can get--the cheaper ones will be a lot simpler, too. The Vivitar sounds pretty good, but I bet you can find cheaper and simpler ones which will serve your needs adequately, too.

If you are looking for getting a camera which will take satisfactory shots for printing, then you should probably be looking at a higher price range (more complicated, too) than anyone here is daring to say.

Whichever way you choose to go, find out the information you need to know about digital cameras at www.dpreview.com and at www.steves-digicams.com

If you have any difficulties understanding what the specs mean, don't be afraid to ask.

--Mike

P.S. Hey! My 500th post. Actually, this is my second 500th post, since a couple dozen of my posts mysteriously disappeared, a few weeks ago.

Hey, you guys may be just the ones to helpo me out. I like Nikon manual cameras (F2) and use my F5 in manual much of the time. I use the PHD mode for quick shots or snapshots. I like anologue watches and stick shift pick-ups.

With that said, my son has a Nikon digital camera and keeps telling me that I need some sort of Fire Wire so i can post pics on the net. Do I just need some sort of wire that plugs into the camera and plugs into the computer or do I need software, programming, a relationship with a computer geek, service contracts, rewiring of the house???:confused:

For most general snapshots and posting to the web, a 2MP camera should work pretty well.

For printing photos, you should be able to get good 4X6 or 5X7 prints, but for photos larger, a camera with a higher resolution is usually recommended.

The older Mavicas are okay, but even printed to smaller sizes the resolution can be lacking. An advantage, however, is using the 3.5" floppy, which can be dumped into any old `puter without needing cables, readers, etc.

Nimrod,

It depends on whether you have a Mac or a PC. If you have a Mac made within the last two or three years, then probably all you'll need is a firewire cable, i.e., the wire which connects from your camera to your computer. If you have a PC, then you'll probably need to purchase a firewire card which attaches to your PCMCIA port, and also the software drivers for the card and for the camera, in addition to the cable, itself. You will also need a lot of luck that you don't encounter any software conflict issues. Even if everything goes smoothly, you can probably expect this kind of set-up to be somewhat slower and more troublesome than a native firewire port. Unless you have a fairly new and high-end PC, in which case you might already have a firewire port. Then you'll just need the cable, the software driver for the camera, and some luck.

The F2 and the F5 are great cameras. They're some of the sturdiest and most ergonomic cameras made. I especially like the 5 spotmeter points on the F5, and the toggle disc to select your spotmeter area.

Manual is the way to go, for total control, to creatively capture your picture exactly as you envision it.

Hey, Nimrod, show us your pix!

---Mike

Another option is to get a compact flash USB/Firewire card reader to off load the images if your computer has USB/Firewire ports. I use one by SanDisk (USB) which cost around $30. The Nikon F2A rocks! Other than the light meter, no stink' batteries to worry about.

FWIW, I heard an ad for CompUSA having 2MP cameras for $99...???

I have a Nikon Coolpix 4500 (Wilco, what's wrong with Nikons?apart from price [2 much] and low light autofocus... ), it does GREAT Macros, but is outside the price range you specified...

I just picked up a very good (perfect working order) Nikon 801s (N8008s in the US) for about $125 with a lens... that's a sturdy camera. I'd like an F80 (N80), but...

Now you guys know why I don't post pics. The next new PC I will be will be a norebook as the old one is nearly INOP. Do notebook PCs typically have this Firewire port that I would need for a simpler installation?

Once I start hearing "software drivers" and crap like that I curl up in the fetal position, expect for it to be bad and just wait for it to be over.

I miss-typed before. Though I've had F2s my current favorite manual SLR is the FM2. I've had mine for many many years and though it sports a few dings and dents, it performs flowlessly. As for the battery int he light meter ... sunny-16, experience, print film's exposure latitude and some braketing allow me to say, "Batteries, we don't need no stinkin' batteries."

Nimrod,

"Once I start hearing "software drivers" and crap like that I curl up in the fetal position, expect for it to be bad and just wait for it to be over. "

Go Mac.

--Mike

Back