"..dirk or dagger in MA"

I live in MA. From a legal standpoint what is the definition of a "dirk or dagger"? It almost sounds like any fixed blade, regardless of blade length, could fall into this category. Quite often I carry a 4" Chris Reeve Shadow. I am not sure if it is considered "legal" or not.

I have heard that a 4" blade is the maximum legal length, in MA, but with the term "dirk or dagger" in the legal restrictions, I am no longer so confident.

as far as blade length goes in mass...no limit
smile.gif
... but no double edged, or autos
frown.gif

From the research I've done, I've never seen a limit on blade length in MA (although, I had at one point heard the same 4" limit that jayharley had heard.)

NOW, the thing to be careful of is the *local* laws. I don't know, nor am I sure how to find out, what local laws are regarding blade length limits. Well, I know I could walk into my local police station (out in Metro West), but I have this sneaking suspicion that I'll be (a) photographed and put into some "dangerous weapon-carrying person" database, or (b) be searched on the spot.

Hey, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

I have a hard time believing that if a MA cop found you carrying a 7 inch blade ka-bar he wouldn't arrest you on the spot. From what I've heard there are laws that just specify penalties for concealed "dangerous weapons".

-arcane

Back