Disappearing high center line; should we blame Hitler and big government contracts?

In time of war cutting corners and speed of manufacturing counts. It seems like Mann's new, flat, cheaper design gave them upper leg over other manufacturers. Case of cheap, mediocre pushing out excellent but expensive to produce tool.
I suspect this was also the time when Mann followed Plumb's example and went with monosteel option.
vtg-world-war-mann-hatchet-dated-1943_1_ce80ea450e5439cd748c1e5747f99819.jpg

vtg-world-war-mann-hatchet-dated-1943_1_ce80ea450e5439cd748c1e5747f99819.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-world-war-mann-hatchet-dated-1943-1855026058

Last edited:
I didn't realize it started that early. I knew that Collins started selling flat-cheeked axes after they were bought by Mann in 1965. But I didn't know Mann had been doing it for so long. They still made full-cheeked fire axes still to their very end. But I guess the consumer stuff followed the war stuff into being flat-cheeked. A pity, because those are sticky axes.

Plumb Victory axes have all the lines in them from the abbreviated grind they received but at least they kept the full cheeks.

Seems to me that drop forging them with a high centerline would be no more difficult than flat, but the finish grinding is easier to do on a flat axe. I'd think that if opting purely for function you'd be better off just skipping finish grinding entirely and just slap an edge on it and call it a day.

Last edited:
Somehow i think that simplifying the process or the design would not be a huge factor for big companies...Be it casting vs forging,or closed-die forging vs other ways,or anything much to do with grinding...

I'd say that degradation in axe quality would more likely be related to the demise of an axe as a tool,the changes in technology of logging rather than technology of producing axes

I would guess that they were spec'd by people not knowing much about axes.

For what it's worth both of my Mann True American(s) both have very high center lines. 20190318_200004.jpg
20190318_195942.jpg
20190318_195947.jpg
I know the Dayton pattern is old. I can tell it was welded in front of the eye and has an overlaid bit. The Michigan I'm not sure about.

After all, if an end user needed it smoother they can supply their own labor. Nothing a little elbow grease doesn't fix.

Hitler probably wasn't responsible - directly. We always lament the change over to flat-sides in American made axes but I think the question asking why they did so is an interesting one.

Thinking out loud with nothing to cite:
1. During the war America was allied with Britain, France, USSR, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, Greece, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, South Africa, Yugoslavia. When I think of all the multi-national experiences many must have had, there were likely guys from all sides getting their first uses of another nations' trusted tool patterns. And for many of the axes and hatchets derived from those nations, many were typically flat-sided. Could this have been an influence?

2. There are those stories of axe-makers travelling to Sweden to learn the dark skills of their smiths to bring back to the American markets and consumers. Was there some sort of commercial influence based on "Old World" traditions that swayed the shapes of the American axe?

3. When did America start importing Swedish and German tools on a scale that made them competitive to domestically produced axes? Meaning, with the lessening of large timber harvests, was there a large consumer market being filled with the flat-sided import tools that somehow started to set a standard for "what an axe looks like" to the modernizing household and average hardware store shopper?

4. With more machines taking over timber harvest, did the change to flat-sides kind of give off an appeal of looking more like a well-heeled knife? Instead of a "chip popping" bucking instrument, did it change over to an ever increasing market of people venturing into the woods to cut limbs and smaller wood for recreation more than survival?

I am sure economics played into it but I wonder how much was market appeal and how much was money saving during production. I have no defense of any of my questions but you asking made me think about it.

Back