• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Discount Program Abuse?

when hinderers were impossible to come by unless a first responder, cop, military, fireman deal. there was a firefighter fellow getting them through that program and then selling them at the inflated prices they demanded back then. I cant remember the outcome but he got himself in some sort of trouble not due to that but just bad behavior in general.

its was pretty low I thought but if a maker builds a system based on trust, then there is nothing to stop abuse other than ethics and morals. some were taught those traits and others werent. being a special class of citizen such as a firefighter or paramedic or a cop or military doesnt guarantee those traits were taught and followed. luckily for society, many do follow and use those traits.

Using your military discount to flip knives is pretty scummy. Doesn't anyone remember the cost of hinderers before he started selling them to everyone?

when hinderers were impossible to come by unless a first responder, cop, military, fireman deal. there was a firefighter fellow getting them through that program and then selling them at the inflated prices they demanded back then. I cant remember the outcome but he got himself in some sort of trouble not due to that but just bad behavior in general.

its was pretty low I thought but if a maker builds a system based on trust, then there is nothing to stop abuse other than ethics and morals. some were taught those traits and others werent. being a special class of citizen such as a firefighter or paramedic or a cop or military doesnt guarantee those traits were taught and followed. luckily for society, many do follow and use those traits.
Beat me to it. Good post.

Well, what you are describing is exactly what knife website companies do. Buy the knife at a certain price, to sell it at a higher price for a profit, no? I mean, I get what you're saying, but I think this is kind of a non issue, because a manufacturer probably tends to nip this thing in the bud pretty quick. "Man, we notice that Officer Smith sure does order a lot of our best-selling model, he must lose a lot of 'em in the line of duty."
As to your first line, nope. Knife dealers resell knives as a business because they are knife dealers. A Leo or military may get a discount because they hold a very important place in society, out of respect and supposed need, as they damn well should. Using that communal respect of position only to flip knives is a slap in the face to those who have given the respect and to peers who do not abuse the respect.

Completely different situation.

As to your first line, nope. Knife dealers resell knives as a business because they are knife dealers. A Leo or military may get a discount because they hold a very important place in society, out of respect and supposed need, as they damn well should. Using that communal respect of position only to flip knives is a slap in the face to those who have given the respect and to peers who do not abuse the respect.

exactly. the dealer is providing jobs and earning a living to take care of his/her family all while providing a service to buyers. the abusing a discount program flipper isnt doing any of that. he or she is taking advantage of a makers program and not providing jobs and not helping buyers.........pretty much only helping themselves.

very different imo. one serves a function and all benefit......the other just benefits only themselves. everyone else loses.

Last edited:

That's fair.

I am very grateful for the Spyderco OpsFocus program. I only found out about it this year, after my binge purchasing had died out. I’ve used the privilege twice, and was honored and humbled each time.

I think the discount equals 10-15% below MAP, which makes Spyderco super attractive to me (yeah, like they weren’t already—hahaha). Honestly though, if I was in it for flipping, after paying for postage, PayPal fees, etc., there’s no way I’d make a profit.

If Sal Glesser happens to pass by here, thank you, sir, for providing this generous privilege to those of us in uniform.

Spyderco has an amazing relationship with the military, many of their models can be acquired from the PXs, BXs, etc. at a decent discount already but I can recall a personal experience w/Sal through personal communications on my 2nd tour in Iraq when reaching out for various support for MWR items and such his folks sent me a small package of asst. folders (believe 6) that I was able to hand out to some of my Soldiers. Stand up guy for sure. As far as getting back to the subject, I've always been grateful when a company offered up a military/First Responder discount. The discounts at least covered shipping and or tax's most times.

Back