disk grinder(s)

John Frankl

Gold Member
What are the best disk grinders out there? Is reversible important? What about variable speed? Horse power? And what are your thoughts on vertical vs. horizontal?

Thanks,

John

A variable speed reversible disc sander would be pretty much top of the line in my books, but all I have had is a one speed- about 1000 r.p.m. and a 1725 r.p.m. is all I have ever had. They are extremely usefull so much so that one friend of mine does all his finishing work on a slow speed reversible disc and does the heavy rough work on a 2X72 machine.I believe a dics turning much faster than 1725 is almost more trouble than help. Frank Niro.

Hello John, What Frank has posted is true. A 1hp, reversing, variable speed horizontal grinder is top of the line. I have 6 disc grinders in my shop, from 5 1/2 to 10 inch. The 9 and 10 are vari speed and reversing, used mostly for blade grinding and the discs are beveled. Like all tools you must learn to use it properly and safely amd with the beveled discs there is a learning curve. The disc grinders are the most used tool in my shop. For more info stop by PT tonite and we can talk further. Didn't mean to ramble.
KEN (WWJD)

I also agree with Frank. Lacking the funds for a couple of 1hp variable speed, reversing motors to mount my discs on, i'll just keep using my two 1hp ac 1750rpm motors, they have been doing it for years.

Thanks. So what about the 1/3 hp machines? Are they simply underpowered? Or would they be good at slower speeds? I am really thinking of grinding on a 2x72 and using the disk for flattening and dovetailing handles, bolsters, etc. What other uses are there?

Thanks,

John

Back