Disk Sander....Flat Face or Beveled Face ?

Hey guys! I am about to make myself a horizontal disk grinder...do I want a flat face or beveled face disk....HELP!

Go with flat Rene!
I had a disc attachment made for my Wilton and had it made beveled and kick myself everytime I look at it.
Flat be the way to go!

FLAT! I built a 12" years ago, and it has been very valuable. It's ugly, but it works. I also built a 6" 1/2 HP and put one of those flex/sand/cutoff discs on it. It has been really handy, too. The small one will cut soft or hard stuff, and sand, too. It saves on the rest of the shop tools, especially for cutting really hard pins and stuff.

Welll...that's a good question. You really have three choices for knifemaking (and most everything else) You could use flat...or flat.....or the new ones that have no bevel! :eek:

John Andrews said:
FLAT! I built a 12" years ago, and it has been very valuable. It's ugly, but it works. I also built a 6" 1/2 HP and put one of those flex/sand/cutoff discs on it. It has been really handy, too. The small one will cut soft or hard stuff, and sand, too. It saves on the rest of the shop tools, especially for cutting really hard pins and stuff.
John: Your face is far from being flat. You have on the biggest TOMAHAWK NOSES I ever did see. :p

Yeah, it's my nose, for sure! It usually gets there before I do. It just compliments my good looks, IG! Eat your heart out, rascal!

John Andrews said:
Yeah, it's my nose, for sure! It usually gets there before I do. It just compliments my good looks, IG! Eat your heart out, rascal!
John, I can block out the sun with my nose. :eek:

Rene,

I have a Rob Frink bevel. I kinda wish I didn't. Yes if the blade needs to move all the way across the face it reduced the risk of accident. However, I run mine verically off the edge of the bench and move the blade up and down on the right side. So, I don't cross the middle.

In any case, the way I'm using it now I don't think it's necessary, and it isn't quite the same as flat.

If you do decide on bevel please buy mine.

Steve

I just finished making a beveled disk and have only played with it so far and think it will work well for some of the 9" fillet knives i make.Can't see much difference using it on a 4"blade..

Back