Dissappearing Laser Engr8

Edit.. Title should say Engraving, not Engr8. Stupid SwiftKey. Anyway...

I bought this CQC-10 from DLT a couple of weeks ago. The engraving was fairly light but it seems to be wiping off the blade.

I've only carried it a few times and wiped the blade down a few times after use.

The engraving is almost gone. Is this normal? This is my first Emerson but I've never seen this happen with any other brand.

New.

8X4RoQ1.jpg

Now.

Eln4n0z.jpg

Last edited:
My horseman did the same thing, but not as fast as yours. You’re right, no other brand Ive had has this happen so quickly or even at all. The logo on mine is barely visible.

None of the markings on mine (~2013 backspacer, ~2015 standoffs with old logo, 2019, probably a couple other "eras" in there as well) have worn off like yours.

In 2013 they had some "ghost logo" periods - the laser was out of spec and the logo's would drift off into the ether... I actually thought they were pretty cool, reminiscent of the Custom Specwar logo. Must be deja vu'.

I’ve had a couple CQC8’s from 2013 or 14 that had engraving issues. I read somewhere that Emerson knows of this issue and will exchange it for you. I did have one exchanged, no questions asked, by Emerson.

I’ve had a couple CQC8’s from 2013 or 14 that had engraving issues. I read somewhere that Emerson knows of this issue and will exchange it for you. I did have one exchanged, no questions asked, by Emerson.

Apparently not anymore. I emailed them with photos and this was their response:

"Dear JABA ,

The Logo on Emerson Knives is applied with our laser marking machine. It is not etched or “burned” into the blade steel. It is applied “onto” the knife as a surface feature. As such, it is not a permanent mark such as a stamped or engraved logo.

Just like any coating it can be worn off with use and cleaning. Using certain chemicals, cleansers or cleaning cloths can and will wear the logo off of the knife. It does not impair the performance of the knife and it is considered part of normal use and wear.

Such wear and fading of the Emerson logo, like all coatings on our knives is not covered under our warranty service.

Kind Regards,

(Name Redacted)

Emerson Knives Customer Support"

Apparently not anymore. I emailed them with photos and this was their response:

"Dear JABA ,

The Logo on Emerson Knives is applied with our laser marking machine. It is not etched or “burned” into the blade steel. It is applied “onto” the knife as a surface feature. As such, it is not a permanent mark such as a stamped or engraved logo.

Just like any coating it can be worn off with use and cleaning. Using certain chemicals, cleansers or cleaning cloths can and will wear the logo off of the knife. It does not impair the performance of the knife and it is considered part of normal use and wear.

Such wear and fading of the Emerson logo, like all coatings on our knives is not covered under our warranty service.

Kind Regards,

(Name Redacted)

Emerson Knives Customer Support"

There is no bigger Emerson fan/supporter/nut than me... that is BS given the pics I've seen. Just my opinion...

No other maker has more “is this normal?” threads than Emerson and this is the response they give? Maker’s mark logo able to be wiped off? How much cheaper can this company get?

I guess we'll never know if they changed the marking process or method that leads to faster wear.

The 10 is a great knife btw I have a 2013 version.

Watching, seems like a failure especially when you are proud of your producr

Is your issue resolved Justabulletaway? I am having a similar issue with a Patriot. The engraving is starting to fade away on it.

Doesn't look like they're calling it an engraving, which would/ should be, practically speaking, permanent. More of an etch, whuch wears.

Users are meant to look just that, used. Adds character for me. Do you like the knife as a cutting tool? If you do keep cuttin and don't worry about the marking.

Eeew! another corner cutting done by Emerson. Their knives cost about $30 to make. But you can't blame them for living in San Diego. Ernie needs to keep up with his expensive lifestyle.

Back