DIY Basic Backpack-able .22 rifle

I don't think "modifying" means disassembling.

Nor did I say it was so, I said that from a practical standpoint it never comes up because you don't walk around the woods with a disassembled rifle. I was referring to the DIY model originally posted. That model is modified and a firearm would definatly be modified if you take the stock off, fabricate a NEW stock mount specifically made to easily remove the stock from said firearm. That's the modification part, since those parts weren't available on the factory firearm and the end user added/made them.

And I did say that's in MI, specifically just "modified" firearms. YMMV.

I'de just ranther not see someone get hit with a FELONY just trying to try somtihng new :thumbup:

There is no magnum Papoose. You'd need far more than a barrel anyway. It would need to be a bigger receiver too, long enough in the magazine well for the longer 22 mag round. I'm sure other things (buffer spring etc) would also need to be modified.

I have a papoose, anyone else have one?
I am wondering about taking advantage of the hollow stock for holding ammo, and wondering if they make magnum barrels for it.

How do you like it? I have heard mixed reports on these. I have nver seen one in person but they look like a bunch of fun.

Cute lil project

i would want decent aperature sights though at at minimum
optics would be ideal, but make it much larger.

also seems to me a thinking man could make it a folding and / or telescoping stock...

I have owned a Marlin Papoose for a few years now. Nice little similar package to what the OP put up in how the barrel and body screw together to make it usable. The Papoose comes with a floatable carry case and is completely disabled without the magazine. I guess thats how they made it legal. The weapon won't shoot without the mag in place.

I've shot this one a lot. Its highly accurate I'll say that. I have a Simmons scope on it. Not an expensive one but it sure took it up a notch. I routinely peg whatever I've sighted in with it out to 75 yards nothing to it. Only thing I've noted is that its one of those that needs a thorough cleaning after every brick of shells run through it. Otherwise its one of the best little 22LR I've owned. I've fixed up a lot of grandma's squirrel pot pies thanks to this one.
These pictures came from their web site. I have a red case with black trim that came with mine. I guess they change the colors every year. Someone told me the new ones have new sights on them too but I have no problem with mine. Can the original poster post a link to the one on the bottom in that pic or tell one where they could acquire such a thing?? Thanks

STR

Cute lil project

i would want decent aperature sights though at at minimum
optics would be ideal, but make it much larger.

also seems to me a thinking man could make it a folding and / or telescoping stock...

Steven P.
Telescoping is a great idea, would allow an easy way to get that custom pull length for the individual user.

There is no magnum Papoose. You'd need far more than a barrel anyway. It would need to be a bigger receiver too, long enough in the magazine well for the longer 22 mag round. I'm sure other things (buffer spring etc) would also need to be modified.

I never thought of that, I'm a dummy.

Yep, the Papoose is a great little rifle, the only issues I have heard of people having I would agree with, the sights are a bit of a problem, my front sight is a bit too easy to bump, and the rear one is too tight to adjust L and R.
I just found the hood for the front sight though, and I guess the rear one is better too tight then loose. I may try a little scope for it and try it, I hear you need quality rings for this rifle, the rail is a tiny bit small, apparently.
I managed o get the butt cap off, it's in there real snug, at first I thought it had screws just for show, but theres a ton of room for gear/ammo in there.
From what I hear, a waaaay better rifle then the AR-7.
I still want to make a cooey singlr shot though, not a fan of semi auto for a survival rifle.

By all accounts I've heard, the Papoose is much better than the AR-7. Do a search on any gun forum, and the AR-7 will come up with tons of anecdotes of jam-o-matics.

STR, here's the post from the original thread this came from, I found it like a day after this thread popped up.

"This is a survival rifle I made from an old COOEY single shot, it all takes down and fits into the map tube. The bolt handle has been shortened ,as has the trigger and the barrel is 22 inches. I have a 16 in Ranger action and barrel but I haven't fitted it to the aluminum stock. The key looking thing is a screw driver to tighten the assembly screw, but a coin would work. Maybe I will drill a hole in a shiny quarter and use it as a fishing flasher, a tightening coin and as a pay phone coin. Sorry about the size, it's my first attempt at putting photos on the web. I hope to be better as I get more proficient at it."

Looks like its just a chunk of aluminum with a hole for the trigger and an action screw hole, and however the stock rod goes in.

The same guy made a take down lee enfield, it uses a disconnect for an air compressor. it looks like it fits together very tight.

I want the rossi trifecta,
S202244YBS.jpg

20g, 22lr, and .243 or .44mag. I would prefer .308 or 30-06, but it's not too shabby. Lots of plastic parts, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for this post. I recently picked up a cricket with the idea to do something similar. Mac

On this note, maybe you guys can help.

Ideally I'd like to find a M-6 Scout, but those are getting hard to come by. Does anyone know of an easily customizable 22/Shotgun(410-12 gauge) that is readily available? I want to make a backpacking gun that is light, accurate and versatile.

That remington is kinda different. I've heard that when you put the shotgun over the rifle it tends to make the rifle a bit more difficult to shoot accurately. Have you heard anything about that?

I used the rings that the dealer sold me for the Simmons scope. I have dropped the rifle once when I slipped over a log in the woods while hunting and the scope actually stayed on the gun fine and the sighting in didn't change for being on target either. To be honest I would love to see the same package as the Papoose only in the bolt action model. I have a Marlin Bolt Action 22LR as well and although longer its my favorite of the two. I notice I can 'borrow' the magazine that came with the Papoose and it works just fine with the bolt action as a back up clip with seven more rounds in it but what I also noticed is that the bolt action magazine will not work in the Papoose at all. When you hold them side by side you do see a very slight difference in the mechanism that has to be disengaged to allow the trigger to work when you slide in the magazine in the Papoose.

Marlin makes a good rifle. I love my 450 Marlin lever gun and my 44 Mag. lever gun by them too. :thumbup:

STR

I thought about the papoose long and hard, but in the end I decided I don't like the accuracy issues of a takedown barrel. I ended up with a Ruger 1022 compact and I'm going to fabricate a thumbscrew that will allow me to take it down easily (separate teh action from the stock). I also have a Rossi 22 and 410. It's neat too but I like a repeater a little better.

Good question. My guess is that it's designed so that it won't fire without the stock attached. I do know the pistol version won't accept barrel of the rifle version, cross configurations that would make it subject to nfa regulations. So I figure if they were that conscientious, they probably also keep it from firing without the stock. I could be wrong, however.

the ar7 will fire without the stock on it. there isn't anything to hold onto really.

Here is my Stevens 410/.22 it breaks down to 24 inches
100_0669-2.jpg

Nice set up, like the axe as well. I carry a savage 24C camper, short barrelled 22/20 gauge that has the wood stock with the 22 and shot shell compartment in the butt. I also carry various shot shells in elastic shell holder on stock with extra 22 pushed next to the shot shells. Shoots CB to Stinger being a single shot. It is cylinder bore. Breaks apart and ready to go. Nice package when walking to the truck. People don't realize it's a rifle. Don't want to advertise, might not have it for long then.

The Cricket is an accurate gun. I had it out recently again. Out to 50 yards it is a fine for small game.

Mac

Back