DIY knife mods (Pics inside)

I'm not the best, but I have been practicing :D

Polished then Bronze/Gold head anodized hardware, blue glow powder in the tip down pocket clip holes, grip tape, sharpened the gimping on the flipper. I plan on making a Orange/Toxic green back spacer for it sometime :thumbup:

Jade G10 back spacer, opened up the thumbstud/blade stop area

380 LBS

A kiridashi thing I made when I got bored. Orange and toxic green G10

Sandblasted scales and deassisted

9mm LBS

I haven't modded very many, and my ideas are copied from other people.

I used RIT dye on this PM2:
20140223-01b_zps4912d707.jpg

I stripped this Becker and used cold blue on it:
photo719b_zps27af512f.jpg

I tried changing the color of my g10 on my Camillus Cuda with paint didn't work out so well is there any paint thinner that will get it off but not damage the handle material...FYI camillus great customer service my pivot screw stripped when I took it apart called the company and they sent me all new screws free of charge great customer service makes or breaks a company in my opinion

Here's one of my EDCs a wenger ranger 61 with some flame maple scales I made for it. While the originals were very comfortable I felt they were way thicker than they needed to be. The knuckle in the photos was made at the same time which is why it's in the pics.
image_zps2dc955d2.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Filed and sandblasted handle of ProTech TR1.4. I created a thread for it, but i probably should have just posted in one of the existing threads.

Also here's a cold steel gi tanto that I purchase for $25 with the intention of modding for fun. Here's what I've done so far in order: remove top guard, file serration on spine tip (probably a bad idea in hindsight but too late), strip and patina (mixture of mustard, vinegar, and lime juice applied with Popsicle stick), cut scales screws to flat heads and polished, made some ebony scales, then added some leather straps for horizontal carry and top loop for fire steel. Hopefully that's it! Overall the only money I put into it was about 20 dollars from the leather and snap die. Had the wood and everything else lying around. I'm a noobie to the forum so hopefully I'm posting in the right place!
image_zps81ec340e.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

IMAG0940_1_zpsd60833ec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is only my 2nd attempt at making my own scales. Did this using "Tero-tuf". It was fairly easy to work with, minimal amounts of dust compared to G10. The knife is a Kershaw that was exclusive to Academy, called the "Tone". Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Finally got around to making the orange/toxic green back spacer for my Kershaw Shallot. It turned out pretty good :D

ESEE-4 stripped, modified grey scales, point dropped and reprofiled,
convex grind.

The knife is deceptively sharp and the point has a tri-angle grind that passes through materials with no resistance.

Nice! that looks really good! Is that a brushed stainless like finish? or polished?

I'm not a huge fan of all the different textures on handle scales, they can certainly be cool but sometimes I think simpler is better. This is probably my favorite example, now I really do love my Ripple more.

Ripple_7.jpg

Sorry, forgot to include the quote, still new to this, that looks great!

Here is an old German made South African Okapi ratchet knife that I rehandled using three aluminum breaker bars, some mill files, and a drill.

I replaced the pivot pin with two 1/16 inch brass pivot screws, and file worked the backspacer.
SAM_0797_zpsb1cb1d7f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I mod the hell out of my knives.

Here's one of my EDCs a wenger ranger 61 with some flame maple scales I made for it. While the originals were very comfortable I felt they were way thicker than they needed to be. The knuckle in the photos was made at the same time which is why it's in the pics.
image_zps2dc955d2.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Wow! I love your work, both on the knuckle ring and the Swiss. You do good work. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Recently acquired a Field Grade Bodega...
She was a user and needed some love, I went ahead and did some mods to clean it up a bit but then I found myself wanting some more :roll eyes:

The blade was pretty scratched up but I was able to take a 1700 rpm cloth buffer to it.

Here are the before pix.

Bodega_badblade2_zps1ccd2edb.jpg

Bodega_badblade_zpscd7941da.jpg

Here are the after pix including a 17 deg wicked edge.

20141111_115153_resized_zps360abcbd.jpg

The clip and the backspacer were a little gritty as well so I cleaned them up... After the clean up, it was just ok so I did a little orange peel work to it. I think I like it much better with the orange peel finish. I also polished the jimping, that along with the orange peel give a a clean well worn look without looking beat down.

Here's the regular finish on the backspacer.

Bodega_backspacer_zpsdaa205bf.jpg

and here's the Orange Peel backspacer.

20141111_115444_resized_zps040a30a9.jpg

Here's the cleaned up clip.

Bodega_clipside_zps128ed40e.jpg

And here's the Orange Peel finish clip.

20141111_115525_resized_zps8995b909.jpg

Here's the presentation side. I love how the grind lines on the blade stand out, you can really see the compound grind outlines, they pop a little more now.

20141111_115758_resized_zps5ef08f4c.jpg

And here's the clip side.

20141111_114755_resized_zps2afcfd08.jpg

Thanks for looking! Let me know what you think...

Back