Dlask wootz knife

Hi, I want to show you another interesting knife I made.
This knife is little bit special, because blade was made from Wootz/ bulat steel, forged in my own forge. Blade lenght is 140mm, thickness 5mm. Handle is tool steel and burl. This knife is sold, but If someone will be interested, there is no problem to make somethin similar :)
Thanks for watching.13923637_504046903124615_2358190213641266011_o.jpg 13925817_504046819791290_2162507525107095533_o.jpg
Karbous

Hello. This wootz was 60-61 HRc. It is, however, very hard to seriously measure the hardness of the wootz because the dendrites are much harder than the steel in which they are contained.

Hello. This wootz was 60-61 HRc. It is, however, very difficult to seriously measure the hardness of the wootz, because the dendrites are much harder than the steel in which they are contained.

I love the rustic look of it. It's a great combination of curves and function. It's organic all over (from the curves in the butt plate, to the million little knots in the burl). The functional parts, like the cutting edge and grid lines are straight and true. There's one last straight line in the guard, and then it all flows and moves after that. The metal finish fits the design and construction well and it's consistent between the fittings and the blade.

What inspired this design?!

I love the rustic look of it. It's a great combination of curves and function. It's organic all over (from the curves in the butt plate, to the million little knots in the burl). The functional parts, like the cutting edge and grid lines are straight and true. There's one last straight line in the guard, and then it all flows and moves after that. The metal finish fits the design and construction well and it's consistent between the fittings and the blade.

What inspired this design?![/QUOTE

Hello. This knife was inspired by the Hawfinch bird.

Thanks Karbousknives Karbousknives

I've never seen one of those birds ... pretty little fellow. Yeah I can see the similarities. It's a stout, strong bird.

Wonderful. That's such a great design! Nice work finishing the wood without disrupting the rough finish on the metal.

How did you connect the buttplate? I can't figure out how you put that together.

Wonderful. That's such a great design! Nice work finishing the wood without disrupting the rough finish on the metal.

How did you connect the buttplate? I can't figure out how you put that together.

The handle of the whole knife is first saved by the structural design, then I ratchet and polish, including wood. The assembly is on the rear pin, so it is possible to break the whole knife again after finishing the handle and finish the line on the aisle. Then the patronage and the head are patted with heat in a forge. Then the whole handle is off the finisher again, I sink the epoxy and I just fit the fine scothbrite belt so that I do not damage the patina. It is very challenging for this model. If you want to see many knives in my gallery, look at my facebook profile Jarda Karbous Pacak.

Back