DLC vs. BC coating

I was just wondering which coating is more durable. I've seen BC coating before and it looks transparent is DLC coating also transparent or is it opaque like teflon coating. Also is DLC coating shiny like teflon or matte like Ti coating. Keep in mind corrosion is not a problem, i'm just wondering which coating is more durable. thanks

Well I only have experiance with BC1, and I really like it so far.

Well, you got most of my info right, but I'm not using Netscape/Mozzila. I'm using apples Safari browser, which is based along a very similar rendering engine. Chances are that most mac users are going to be using that instead of Netscape. (or using IE)

Both Diamond DLC & Boron Carbide coatings are only microns thick, so it takes on the finish of the blade prior to coating, meaning that if the blade ( or handle) is mirror polished, it will still be mirror polished after the coating, or if satin or bead blasted it will take that finish after coating. It will also show any blemishes in the coating including all "graphiti" that the manufacturers etch on the blades.

That said, I have a Boron Carbide coated Kershaw black Chive which is about 90 on the Rockwell scale - should be scratch proof unless scratched by a diamond or ceramic.

If I remember correctly, Darrell Lewis of Bodycote told me that the Boron Carbide finish is a single layer of coating that is porous, meaning that by itself does not make for a rust barrier.
He also told me that the Diamond DLC has 3 coatings to it, again, if I remember correctly, one of the layers is chrome, which does create a rustproof barrier. The Knife can still rust if you sharpen the edge after coating (and thus remove the coating from the edge)& it can creep up under the coating from the edge.

I have a bunch of blades from different manufacturers with different finishes, satin, bead-blasted, mirror, etc. that Mr. Darrell Lewis & Ms. Olga Smith of Bodycote were kind enough to coat with the Diamond DLC coating before they had to stop with individual orders.

The ones that were used & scuffed up I had bead blasted prior to finishing, a Spyderco Worker that had seen 10 years of hard use, a brand new Spyderco Dyad, a Benchmade Griptilian, a CRKT Stiff Kiss, a Camillus EDC, and a few for some of my co-workers.

I found that only the ones that I had bead- blasted looked less than new after a year of use.

Overall I LOVE the finishes & wish Spyderco and all other QUALITY manufacturers would add this as an option.

I like my knives to look new, but I like to actually USE them.

Back