DMT duosharp not hitting the very start of the edge

If I'm sharpening a knife with no sharpening choil the DMT duosharp doesn't seem to hit the part of the blade right after the ricasso. I think that's what the part is called.
With knives like that I have to put the knife down with the ricasso over the edge of the DMT stone. I don't know it the edge of the stone isn't a perfect 90°, or if the edge doesn't have diamonds embedded, but I can't get the start of the blade edge sharp.

The Spyderco Chaparral is one of those knives were the ricasso doesn't allow me to put the start of edge down anywhere on the stone.

C152CFP_Both.png

C211TIP_Both.png

The Spydiechef has the edge lower than the ricasso so I don't have to sharpen the start of the edge on the, so sharping if work great.

Is this just how the DMT stones are made, or am I missing something?

The plunge grind on most Spyderco knives are the bane of every sharpener. You need a stone (or diamond plate) with a sharp, 90 degree edge as you won't be able to sharpen all the way up to the ricasso with any stone that has a rounded edge.

A tapered, small-diameter diamond honing rod, or the edge of an oval kitchen honing 'steel' in diamond, would work in that plunge area near the ricasso, if you feel you absolutely need to sharpen it all the back to the ricasso. But, in using that method, it'll also continue to maintain or even deepen the recurve in that portion, if you're not careful about it.

For my own purposes anyway, I've decided not to worry too much about the last 1/8" or so of such areas near the plunge. I don't like 'sharpening notches' or choils at the rear of the cutting edge, as they create a new issue (snagging) in the pursuit of getting the entire cutting edge sharp. I dislike the snagging issues more than I dislike a somewhat dull portion in that last fraction of an inch - so, I choose to live with it that way, most of the time.

I have used flat stones to grind away that little bit of recurve near the ricasso. But the finished result never looks as good, and you have to grind a LOT of steel off the edge to straighten out that recurve so the flat stone touches all of that portion. For me, it's not worth it.

Try the other side of the plate, or a different plate. Drives me nuts to see a recurve being ground in there.

Could also get a diamond burr bit and grind a small half round notch...

Back