Do-it-all spinning rod?

Looking for a budget spinning rod (and reel for that matter) that I can use for trout, steelhead and salmon for shore, driftboat/kayak and jetboat fishing on the massive rivers here in Idaho. Any suggestions? Can I get by with a single 6-7 weight pole for everything? I have a 4 piece Eagle Claw Trailmaster/Shimano Syncopate rig for backpacking into high mountain lakes, but I'm lookin for something river oriented. Thanks.

You cant go wrong with an UglyStik. A 7ft Med weight shouldnt be any more than $40. I still have the one my grandfather got when they first came out and still use it today. Those rods are virtually indistructable.

Whenever I've tried to get a do-it-all fishing outfit it's always ended up as a poor compromise.

I would've thought that a rod for trout spinning wouldn't be the first choice for salmon spinning. The difference in size between the fish would dictate a more powerful rod for the salmon?

Why not keep using your pack rod for the trout (if that's been working OK so far?) and get something dedicated to dealing with larger fish? You could buy another pack rod and then if you go travelling you can easily take both with you, giving you a wider set of options and potential species to land. I would've thought that a salmon spinning pack rod would also be suitable for pike or in saltwater smaller striped bass, barracuda etc...

Basspro or Cabelas have 3 piece 7ft spinning rods.

I'm from England so maybe I've not given the best advice? Hopefully the other chaps will join in.

6'6" or 7' one or two piece Berkley Lightning rod in medium or medium heavy action. Under $40.00 and good rods.

For big water, I like a big stick. But I have not found a do it all fishing "pole" that is comfortable and effective in every environment I might fish.

I've got a 6'6" Cabela's IM7 spining rod with medium stradic, that I've used for kings and reds, and the occasional steelhead.

Would be overkill on trout, and a little funky in a kayak, but would work.

Look for a fast tip rig, for more backbone on the larger fish.

Im confused. You want a spinning rod. Then you ask if a 6 or 7 weight rod would do. Are you thinking of putting a spinning reel on a fly rod? Some people do that.

I know a man who fishes nothing but old Johnson Centuries on fly rods. Hes used them on everything from bluegill to salmon.

Im confused. You want a spinning rod. Then you ask if a 6 or 7 weight rod would do. Are you thinking of putting a spinning reel on a fly rod? Some people do that.

Fly fishing's more popular out here-I asked around about trout rods and just about everyone says '6-7 weight'. My Eagle Claw is marketed as a 'spinning/fly rod' as well. It's a good trout rod, I guess I'll take the salmon/steelhead specific route. Although I've done some fly fishing in Wisconsin and Minnesota, a vast amount of my fishing experience has been with a spinning reel, and it's what I'm most comfortable with. Does anyone have experience with a Shimano Scimitar? Seems like alot of rod for 24 dollars.

Dont know about the Scimitar but Shimanos are good rods. Id speculate its better than most other rods in that price range.

Back