Do you carry a multitool alongside a modern folder?

If you guys had to pick one pocketable multi tool to back up a modern folder, what would it be? I like the micro but feel like if I got the squirt I could get by with just it's knife instead of scissors. Thoughts on when you would need scissors over a knife?

Zip ties. Paper. Nylon webbing. Thread. Mustache. Finger nails. Aluminum flashing. (The Micra's scissors are more like shears).

I tell people the same thing about scissors as I tell none knife people about a knife. Carry if for month and you won't believe you could have lived with out it for so long.

Yep, swisstool and benchmade mini-rukus are the normal two of choice.

If you guys had to pick one pocketable multi tool to back up a modern folder, what would it be? I like the micro but feel like if I got the squirt I could get by with just it's knife instead of scissors. Thoughts on when you would need scissors over a knife?

I like to pair any scissorless SAK, Leatherman or folder with a Micra. It has more precise scissors than Squirt or Style. That was my experience, which I tested out by snipping tissue paper. Neither Squirt or CS cut cleanly, but the Micra did well. On thicker paper, the others are okay, but Micra still wins. For heavier duty, though, Squirt and Style are somewhat more robust. For example, my wife, who hates the Micra, prefers a Squirt S4 even over dedicated clippers to trim her toenails.

Scissors beats knife for spot grooming when out and about, like nose hairs, for one. Try that with a knife. Scissors are better when you need precision.

Last edited:
Workdays: Folder, Surge and Vic Spartan
Free time: Folder or small fixed, Vic Spartan and sometimes Skeletool CX

I carry the Surge on my belt next to the flashlight.
The Skeletool usually goes left front pocket.

724a4fbe619dda4ea970bfdcdeccbe46_zpsb606f19e.jpg

I work outside in a remote rural environment . My Multitool of choice is a Surge - Big - Simple - Strong .
It is backed up by a single bladed folder of some kind . The folders have changed over time , but the Surge has remained a constant , essential , important part of every workday for the last 6 or 7 years .
The serrated blade on the Surge gets a hammering in my day to day world and really takes the pressure of the folders .
They are there to perform normal precision cutting tasks and never get abused like the Surge does .
In reality I don't need the folders the Surge will do it all , but life is to short to be dull and boring :)

f71b3486d302a7f784e3906a95fa82d8_zpsac47ba22.jpg

965968548c8bf4fde06ac9f48638af8b_zps2284ec0c.jpg

d15829ab3ae828d527b2a233b314af0e_zpsd7d00edd.jpg

Ken

That's pretty bizarre Ken, we have almost the same kit, just the names are changed to protect the innocent, did your mum dress you today too ? :)

But I favour the Swiss Army Tool, very robust, for me at least, pliers are quite rugged, used it a lot on installations, and like Ken, you could get away with just that tool, but, life is short, too short not to also enjoy some additional sharp tools ;)

group.jpg~original

The small folder is a Bose Case Teardrop slipjoint, the other folder is a Benchmade 531 recently added to the collection and the ever present light, Microstream by StreamLight and instead of a phone, it's an iPod touch, I don't even have a clever phone, let alone a smart one ;)

G2

Leatherman Micra + Victorinox Rally on the keychain and whatever knife I feel like carrying. Those 2 little multi-tools saved me a lot over the years by allowing me fix things that couldn't have otherwise be fixed in an appropriate time frame. Like my old cell phone that got some water damage when I first got to the lake for a weekend camping trip when I pushed a boat out, it allowed me to quickly disassemble it so it could dry out so the only damage that occurred to that old flip phone was some dead pixels.

I carry a black oxide leatherman fuse. They don't make them anymore, but it's a pretty cool multi. Thinking about selling it for a smaller one though.

This is my setup. I've got just about anything that could be needed, with the exception of a corkscrew for certain situations.

I have carried this combo on occasion....
CoupleofPioneers_zps34c71c95.jpg

I rarely have need for pliers but do throw in a Leatherman Core for trips.

Have carried the OHT along with a 93mm ALOX in the recent past as well.
CamoOHTASH_zps8cdbec44.jpg

That is about as modern as I get these days....

I always have a knife on me, lately it has been a 10 Soldier or my SB Delica, and in my work bag I carry a LM PST or Rebar.
Also in my vehicle I have a Blast and bit kit.

Back