Do you ever laugh out loud at the knife tests run by "expert" Youtube knife jockeys?

I like and watch destruction 'tests'. Even if I never push my copy as far, it is always good to know where its different failure points are.

Just like how they crash test cars, it is important.

Not at all. The individuals devising and supervising the crash testing of automobiles are scientists and engineers.

The "expert" Youtube knife jockeys are typically neither.

Not at all. The individuals devising and supervising the crash testing of automobiles are scientists and engineers.

The "expert" Youtube knife jockeys are typically neither.

It wouldn’t matter if they were scientist or not. Science is about the methods, not the personalities, and nothing on Youtube is scientifically significant. But, it is all informative and I can appreciate it for what it is. Sometimes, just seeing the item from a different angle or light, or in scale, can be very helpful.

n2s

I really don’t mind some of the YouTube stuff , but a huge but
If a knife needs a torture test
, I have worked in the ranching , hunting and fishing industry in Texas for 35 years, and will put a knife through its paces, cutting string, rope , burlap, 50-200 feed bags a day , maybe have to slice up some old carpet, or rubber mats,
Try having to keep a blade sharp cleaning a couple of hogs covered in dried sandy mud or open bags of cement , i got a pile of EDC stuff and can show you a keeper from a trendy piece of garbage . Now I just need a camera crew to follow me around and edit the cussing out

so yeah some young kid saying he opened 25 cardboard boxes is kinda humorous
In comparison with daily life

Last edited:
Another backyard batoner, aye? ;)

I've created Youtube content that's one helluva lot more productive than "batoning" through a railroad tie with an inexpensive folder, only to conclude the folder is "junk" because it's made in China.
Given your contributions thus far to the forums, I'd lay significant money that you haven't.

The only guys I listen to, by and large, are @DeadboxHero, since he does stuff where I fear to tread...

...and Larrin's science based testing since it provides an apples to apples comparison more than any other source I'm familiar with.

I think these two gentlemen provide useful data for making excellent choices when it comes to choosing a particular steel for particular reasons.

Couldn't resist eh Blues? :)

I don't watch many more than once. Very few are more than opinion leader wannabes and try too hard to drive more views etc. Then there are guys like Deadbox hero who is a true steel knut knifemaker. Larrin is a knifemaking and knife steel designing metallurgist. Neither one seems like they want youtube to finance their knife hobby or has ego issues. Both understand life on the edge of the blade better than I will ever and I've been a hobbyist for near 50 years.

Joe

Couldn't resist eh Blues? :)

I don't watch many more than once. Very few are more than opinion leader wannabes and try too hard to drive more views etc. Then there are guys like Deadbox hero who is a true steel knut knifemaker. Larrin is a knifemaking and knife steel designing metallurgist. Neither one seems like they want youtube to finance their knife hobby or has ego issues. Both understand life on the edge of the blade better than I will ever and I've been a hobbyist for near 50 years.

Joe

The Mastiff The Mastiff

Why, you're a newcomer, you whippersnapper, Joe. My grandpa first got me hooked on pocketknives roughly 61 years ago when I was seven or so.

Another backyard batoner, aye? ;)

I've created Youtube content that's one helluva lot more productive than "batoning" through a railroad tie with an inexpensive folder, only to conclude the folder is "junk" because it's made in China.

What's your youtube channel name? Asking for a friend.

I never baton etc with a folding knife ( I use mine constantly daily)

Guess if I did I would watch those videos or carry a fixed blade more often... lucky I get to cut paper and plastic all day with a knife , so I buy and watch according to my uses

To each their own though some people might baton with 3 inch folders

Are you telling me I'm not supposed to go into the dessert and smash rocks with knives until they break in half! Because I've seen this behavior on YouTube. Maybe it isn't normal.

I enjoy the videos but they are impractical, and have driven a ton of companies to overbuild their knives to follow suit. I’ve hiked hundreds of miles in the smokies and literally only used my knife ONCE, and that was to make a walking stick that was later sanded down and stained.

I like the fact that I know my knife can take a beating, but I mostly use folders for envelopes, boxes, and flicking

The only guys I listen to, by and large, are @DeadboxHero, since he does stuff where I fear to tread...

...and Larrin's science based testing since it provides an apples to apples comparison more than any other source I'm familiar with.

I think these two gentlemen provide useful data for making excellent choices when it comes to choosing a particular steel for particular reasons.
I just Googled Larrin Thomas. What an interesting person! Figures, given he's a fellow Mines grad. Nice to see someone whose qualifications extend further than having binged Forged in Fire (three times) and engaging in stirring debate with the three teens who staff the counter over at Cabela's and Dick's.

Being a materials engineer in the auto industry would be seriously hardcore. That's big time manufacturing, where performance vs. cost is so critical.

I enjoy the videos but they are impractical, and have driven a ton of companies to overbuild their knives to follow suit. I’ve hiked hundreds of miles in the smokies and literally only used my knife ONCE, and that was to make a walking stick that was later sanded down and stained.

I like the fact that I know my knife can take a beating, but I mostly use folders for envelopes, boxes, and flicking

"...they are impractical, and have driven a ton of companies to overbuild their knives to follow suit..."

That's a very interesting perspective, and I think there's a lot of truth to that. I know a number of people that really use the heck of their knives, day in and day in. They know what works -- different knives for different tasks, and they know how to maintain them.

Yet if they dared reveal what they carry/use to the online mall ninjas, their choices would be ridiculed because they weren't crafted by monks on the side of some mountain, out of unobtainium, and then sold for absurd prices.

Are you telling me I'm not supposed to go into the dessert and smash rocks with knives until they break in half! Because I've seen this behavior on YouTube. Maybe it isn't normal.
Stop and think for a moment. Only by going out to the desert and smashing knives with rocks (cooled meteors work best) can we confirm that ALL knives made in China are junk! ;)

Back