Do YOU own land in Wales? I do.

Yep. On a hillside right near the head of the Irfon valley, and overlooking the River Irfon (which is a tributary of the River Wye). You see, back in the '70s I bought an album by Manfred Mann's Earth Band called "The Good Earth".

16957-1.jpg

It was a really good album, sort of progressive hard rock, with lots of great imaginitive guitar parts and of course plenty of Manfred's keyboard explorations. Anyway, with that album you were entitled to ONE SQUARE FOOT of earth from this lovely hillside. Like many other land owners, I didn't bother to rip off the corner and fill it out to register my plot. The story goes that so many people responded that there was really no record-keeping to speak of. If you bought the album, you got your square foot. I wish one day to travel to Wales, and look at my piece of land.

Maximus Otter, if you're ever in the area, please consider taking a photo for me. Just a general photo of the hillside. I'll know which piece is mine. :thumbup:

Watch out , it's probably over run with dragons .Why else would they give it away ??

Maximus Otter, if you're ever in the area, please consider taking a photo for me.

Sorry Torz: if I ever found myself in Wales, I'd be too busy selecting Reverse and flooring the throttle to take a picture.

Others may disagree, but I believe the Welsh to be conclusive proof that the Romans used to **** badgers.

Why? One example: In one year, I visited shops in the Western Isles (off Scotland) and in deep Wales. In the Eileanan an Siar, I entered a shop where the shopkeeper was speaking Gaidhlig to a customer. As soon as they realised that I was a non-Gaelic speaker, they switched to English.

Later that year I entered a shop in Wales. As soon as the occupants realised that I was English, they started speaking in Welsh.

:barf:

maximus otter

Sorry Torz: if I ever found myself in Wales, I'd be too busy selecting Reverse and flooring the throttle to take a picture.

Others may disagree, but I believe the Welsh to be conclusive proof that the Romans used to **** badgers.

Why? One example: In one year, I visited shops in the Western Isles (off Scotland) and in deep Wales. In the Eileanan an Siar, I entered a shop where the shopkeeper was speaking Gaidhlig to a customer. As soon as they realised that I was a non-Gaelic speaker, they switched to English.

Later that year I entered a shop in Wales. As soon as the occupants realised that I was English, they started speaking in Welsh.

:barf:

maximus otter

I suppose I would be at a double disadvantage; I speak neither language, only American. :(

In the early 90's I spent a week or so in the British Isles. I recall at one point having a conversation with a very nice fellow in a pub in Bangor N. Ireland, and realizing I had no ******* idea what he was saying. But he could understand me perfectly. :confused:

Yep. On a hillside right near the head of the Irfon valley, and overlooking the River Irfon (which is a tributary of the River Wye). You see, back in the '70s I bought an album by Manfred Mann's Earth Band called "The Good Earth".

16957-1.jpg

It was a really good album, sort of progressive hard rock, with lots of great imaginitive guitar parts and of course plenty of Manfred's keyboard explorations. Anyway, with that album you were entitled to ONE SQUARE FOOT of earth from this lovely hillside. Like many other land owners, I didn't bother to rip off the corner and fill it out to register my plot. The story goes that so many people responded that there was really no record-keeping to speak of. If you bought the album, you got your square foot. I wish one day to travel to Wales, and look at my piece of land.

Maximus Otter, if you're ever in the area, please consider taking a photo for me. Just a general photo of the hillside. I'll know which piece is mine. :thumbup:

You'd have one heck of a time building a house on your land :D Talk about having no backyard..... lol

maximus otter Quote:
Originally Posted by TorzJohnson
Maximus Otter, if you're ever in the area, please consider taking a photo for me.

maximus otter

See , now I find this fascinating , I did not know that the Welsh speak a different dialect (I knew that they used to as did Irish and Scottish but did not know they still spoke it).
In America there is much the same thing , when I go to Mexican oriented grocery stores to work they will often speak Spanish when something is said I am not meant to know , same goes with Sikh or others.
I used to get bummed about it but now I'm too bust wondering what they are saying.
A while back a lovely girl said something to her co-worker (obviously about me) and both of them laughed., when I blushingly asked what she had said she just smiled and said I'm better off not knowing... What that meant , I have no idea..:confused:

In America there is much the same thing , when I go to Mexican oriented grocery stores to work they will often speak Spanish when something is said I am not meant to know , same goes with Sikh or others.
I used to get bummed about it but now I'm too bust wondering what they are saying.
I took Spanish in High School, and have been able to barely get by in Spanish speaking countries, but I certainly can't follow somebody speaking it quickly and fluently. I remember once I went into a Deli in NYC where the entire staff was speaking Spanish to each other. I ordered at the counter, and the counterman instantly started shouting angrily in Spanish and turned away :eek: . I turned to my Puerto Rican friend with a look of horror on my face and he just grinned and said "they're not talking about you." Whew! :D

See , now I find this fascinating , I did not know that the Welsh speak a different dialect (I knew that they used to as did Irish and Scottish but did not know they still spoke it).

I lived in Wales for several months on computer science exchange and found it to be a lovely & interesting place. Not only do people still speak Welsh, but all of the building signs, university materials, etc. are in Welsh and English. Here's an example: the homepage for the "Cyfrifiadureg" (and no, I don't know how to pronounce that) department:
http://www.aber.ac.uk/compsci/cymraeg/

I had no idea who Lorna Morgan was, so I did a Google image search:

LornaPic.jpg

"Height 5ft 3
Bust 32G Natural"

The Welsh women I saw looked nothing like her!

Anyway, I'd rather meet Aisling Friel, Miss Scotland 2005:

100506luck05.jpg

maximus otter

Being of Welsh descent (among other random things), I take this as a compliment. :D

English is the national language in the Bahamas, but I've lived here (primarily) for some years now and still have a hard time understanding the local dialect.

Edit: Wow. I knew I'd been lurking here for a long time, but a year plus ... that's scary.

Maximus Otter, the Welsh did give us Lorna Morgan :).
They also gave us Welsh Rarebit, which - as we all know from years of Gomer Pyle reruns - has the seemingly magical ability to make hayseed Marine Privates sleepwalk in the middle of the night into their authoritarian Sergeant's quarters and then deliver a blistering torrent of verbal abuse. :thumbup: :D :thumbup:

Welsh Rarebit - I must mention that it's supposed to be Welsh Rabbit ! Like when the little kid asks 'why can't we have rabbit?' and the mother hands him a cheese sandwich and says 'here's your rabbit !' There are similar things in other countries !! .....And there's a whole thing about leeks too .You wear one in your hat ?? They probably eat them just to keep the dragons away.

Welsh Rarebit - I must mention that it's supposed to be Welsh Rabbit ! Like when the little kid asks 'why can't we have rabbit?' and the mother hands him a cheese sandwich and says 'here's your rabbit !' There are similar things in other countries !! .....And there's a whole thing about leeks too .You wear one in your hat ?? They probably eat them just to keep the dragons away.
Alright! Please visit us again when you've sobered up. :D :p

"Rarebit" is an ignorant misunderstanding.

Once upon a time a Welshman went hunting and didn't get a rabbit. He still had to have his dinner, so he looked in his pantry and found bread, cheese, and eggs, and he made the first Welsh rabbit.

If you go fishing and don't get any fish you can make a Welsh fish just as easy.

As for me I get bored with rabbits and fish. I find it just as easy to not get a rhinocerus or a platypus or even a ground sloth or a stegosaurus....

As for me I get bored with rabbits and fish. I find it just as easy to not get a rhinocerus or a platypus or even a ground sloth or a stegosaurus....
You can have your Welsh ground sloth... I'm whipping up a Jim-dandy Welsh Hat-with-leek. (rubs hands together in famished anticipation).

I don't own land in Wales, but I do own land in the Yukon.
When I was a kid the sponsor of the tv show "Sargent Preston of the Yukon" ran a promotion. You had to send in the boxtop of the product and they would send you the Deed to one square inch of land in the Yukon. Now I'm not sure where my deed is, but I know I would never throw it away. It's always been my plan to build on that piece of land when I retire. Of course one inch square isn't much, so I figure I'm going to need a pretty good architech to design a house to fit. ;)

I don't remember that one .What was the sponser ? I listened to Sargent Preston back in the old days in Brooklyn too !! BTW on CHML from Hamilton Ontario [ 900 AM ] they play old time radio from about 10:30pm till 2:00 am.

Back