Do you prefer Leatherman multi-tool leather or nylon sheath?

My favorite has always been the nice (dare I say sexy?) leather sheath that came with the original Wave.

houdini28 said:
My favorite has always been the nice (dare I say sexy?) leather sheath that came with the original Wave.

This the one? It's definately a well made sheath, I used it until I switched over to nylon.

Attachments

• lmsheath1.JPG
    lmsheath1.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 69
  • lmsheath2.JPG
    lmsheath2.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 56
Dont like the direction leatherman is going these days, the new sheaths have a made in china look to them, The new folders really look cheap and tacky as well.

Nylon hands down takes the cake for me.
Yeah! Leather products for sure creates a "sweat" smell when completely damp. Top choice is something that doesn't suck up moisture like a sponge. Besides that leather streatches and wear down with age a little lot faster than nylon, I should think.

The latest Leatherman Charge Ti sheaths are poorly made. The belt loop on mine tore out the first time I wore it to Home Depot.

Not sure whether to send it back or find an aftermarket sheath.

It really is a major POS.

I'd recommend an aftermarket nylon sheath. Some good ones are made by Spec Ops, Blackhawk, and TAD Gear. If you prefer leather, there are custom makers that can make them for a specific tool and have a space for a flashlight as well.

I see the merits of nylon, but I hate the velcro closures that most lypn sheaths have.

Gotta agree about the velcro, I hate that "ripping" sound. And it'll wear out if you use the tool a lot.

For my Surge and Charge, I definitely prefer the leather sheath; maybe I've been lucky, but mine have held up pretty well, with the exception of the elastic sides, which gets shredded after about a year if you pack a small flashlight in the side pocket, like I do. At $8 each online, though, I just keep a couple spares around.

Sure wish they made 'em like that original Wave sheath. I still use mine, not just for my old-school Wave, but also for my SwissTool Spirit when I don't wanna lug around the wrench & bits. My mid-size SOG tool (forget the model number) fits well, too.

Aside from leather, aftermarket nylon is the only way to go if you want a durable sheath, IMO.
I've got a SOE sheath for my ST200 with a fastex buckle instead of velcro or a snap. It's better made than any of the factory, or aftermarket pouches I've seen.
SOE will do custom work, but I don't know how long it would take. I'd like another one of their sheaths for my Blast.
I say SOE, but it's now BDS Tactical.
http://www.bdstacticalgear.com/pd_modular_leatherman.cfm

Yes, Stormdrane, that would be the sheath I like. I find it to be the perfect balance for a sheath that will last and be as thin and comfortable as possible. I've put mine through a multitude of conditions and the only thing I've noticed is that it's a little lighter in color now.

Leather pouch may has a problem of rusting the tool... Because leather has some salt in it?:confused:

I am partial to the Nylon but I do have several Leather sheaths if I decide to change carrying options.

ckl, I've heard that tanning solutions for making leather can cause various types of corrosive effects on metal tools; however, I've never had a problem with storing my Wave in its sheath. I've done that for 6 years now and there are no signs of rust or any other type of damage.

edit to correct my grammar as was kindly pointed out by znapschatz. I'm typically better than that when it comes to grammar, so thanks for pointing my error out.

I generally prefer nylon for its overall utility. Leather is classier, but is more difficult to clean. Leather is also more apt to rot, and takes longer to dry should it become wet. Six of one; half dozen of the other.

houdini28 said:
ckl, I've heard that tanning solutions for making leather can cause various types of corrosive effects on metal tools; however, I've never had a problem with storing my Wave in its sheath. I've done that for 6 years now and there are signs of rust or any other type of damage.

Just going by the grammar of your last sentence, it seems as if you meant to write "no signs of rust..." True?

I love leather sheath, but since I live in a wet and humid tropical reqion I prefer nylon. Leather sheath disintegrate easily here.

My POS sheath was the original nylon Charge one.

The Charge itself also had problems. One of the rivets fell apart when the tool was new and fresh out of the box. Leatherman fixed it of course but left some deep scratches on the pliers.

Back