Do you sharpen big blades freehand?

TheMightyGoat

Attention whore & liar
BANNED
It's always difficult to sharpen big blades (machetes, swords, etc) freehand, but I usually manage it okay. Today, though, I attempted to sharpen my HI khukuri on a wet stone. Since it's long, thick, heavy and curved I just couldn't manage it. Am I just not trying hard enough, or do you guys use some method other than freehand for these tasks?

Believe or not, sometimes with bigger blades it's easier to hold the blade and than stroke the stone against the blade like your using a file. In answer to your question, I sharpen just about everything freehand.:)

I sharpen everything freehand, no swords.

But I do have some blades up to 10".

I sharpen all my big blades freehand,using bench stones. I have found it to be the easiest and fastest way to sharpen knives.
I start with a fine diamond bench stone. Next i use one medium grit Arkansas stone,then a fine Arkansas stone and finish with an extra fine Arkansas stone. The result is razor sharp knives!

Manowar

I just freehand sharpened my HI Ang Khola on stones, but the kukris REALLY like the sandpaper on a mousepad treatment. Get some 600 and 1500 grit paper at the auto body shop, put them on an old springy mousepad, and strop the kukri edge on it almost flat. The pad will 'give' so the paper contours to the edge.
This keeps the convex edge, and gets very good results for little money. I spent $9 on 3 different grits of paper and it sharpens like mad. Might want 400 or 220 for a real coarse grit, or 2000 as a polisher/finisher. it works great.
A ceramic rod is another great idea, it makes it a lot easier.

For long blades use a 12 inch long hone or long file. Most blades that I have had that were over a foot long could be profiled using a new 12" bastard file. I also have used yard tool hones that had similar dimensions to that size of file. Once you get the edge profiled a 12" long bench hone works well. A combination medium-coarse and medium-fine aluminum oxide bench hone gives a nice edge. The hone doesn't usually have to be really hard for the lower alloy steels used in long blades.

The easiest solution is to use a belt sander for most of the work. That is what I use these days.

For a recurve blade like a khukuri it is best to use a rounded hone. I like the Ultimate Edge brand 12" oval diamond hone. It can also be used on serrated blades. Check the sharpeners at Top of Texas Knives. The yard tool hones (from places like Home Depot) are also commonly rounded and will work. You can wrap silicon carbide paper around a piece of copper pipe and use it as a round hone. It works fairly well to use the sides instead of the top of a bench hone (if it is long enough). Once you wear down the edges of the hone it works pretty well on a recurve blade.

Back