Do You Sharpen Your SAK?

Tracker2

Banned
It just occurred to me as I was opening a package with my SAK that I haven't sharpened it during the entire 15+ years that I have owned it. Although I sharpen my other knives the moment they start to dull, I've never touched my Super Tinker.

Am I alone in this neglect? Also, what angle would you use on the Sharpmaker for a SAK - a 30 or 40 degree?

Do you ever use it? It takes me about ten minutes to dull a SAK blade on the rare occasion that I use it for a knife. I'd say use the forty degree setting on the SharpMaker if you are going to bother.

Just had to regrind the edge on mine big time. Was using it to cut through ice on my driveway (much faster than shovelling alone) and contact with the driveway ate the tip. A few minutes on the belt-sander got the tip to be below the scales again; a few more got a hair-shaving edge back on (though thicker than before my doing dumb things); and a minute with the Dremel replaced the nail nick.

Before using my Vic Tinker as a replacement ice scraper, I liked keeping a hair-popping edge on it.

I've had good results with the wetdry paper on a leather backing (basically stropping with various grits). Gives a light convex edge that the SAK steel seems to love. Seems more durable than the edge I get with a DMT diamond hone or my askansas stone.

That said, my SAK's rarely see anything other than loose threads, envelopes and food prep (camping). My larger, harder knives handle bigger chores.

I use my Farmer almost every day, and have carried it for years.

Generally if it has not seen a stone for a while I first thin it out a little.

Lay it flat on a water/oil stone and turn in circles until the secondary edge is gone, or close to it.

I then convex the secondary edge using a mousepad and some 800 grit sandpaper.

The convex edge lasts longer IMO. Once the blade is convexed, I just use a charged leather strop one a week or so, and thats all it needs.

Could shave a gnats a$$ with mine. ;)

40 inclusive on the sharpmaker. If you run it 40 per side on the white stones at the end, you can get it to shave.

There is no need to thin a SAK blade. They are ground (properly) very thin, and made from softer steel. 15-20 degrees per side is adequate.
Bill

There is no need to thin a SAK blade. They are ground (properly) very thin, and made from softer steel. 15-20 degrees per side is adequate.
Bill

I have really only thinned it out once since new. At the time it needed it in order to take the keen edge I desired.

If you prefer a thicker edge after time, then there is no need as you mentioned.

I find that a thin, convexed edge works better for me and what I use the knife for.

Millage may vary of course.;)

Yep, I sharpen mine on a sharpmaker, usually 30 degrees.

I have a Solo that I thinned out by putting it flat on a coarse diamond stone. It cut fine before, but it cuts even better now.

I use a Sharpmaker at 40 degrees for my Swiss Army Knives. SAK's are one of the easiest knives to sharpen.

Medium stone in the kitchen, then a fine diamond stone. No more than 30-45 seconds on each, couple times a year. VERY easy steel to sharpen.

thx - cpr

It just occurred to me as I was opening a package with my SAK that I haven't sharpened it during the entire 15+ years that I have owned it. Although I sharpen my other knives the moment they start to dull, I've never touched my Super Tinker.

Am I alone in this neglect? Also, what angle would you use on the Sharpmaker for a SAK - a 30 or 40 degree?

I think you are alone, there fella.

Haha! My pioneer was the first knife I sharpened on my new Sharpmaker. Now it shaves! I used the 40 degree position.

I only have one SAK right now and have never needed to sharpen it (normally I carry my SOG Twitch II instead). But I have sharpened some of my dad's SAK blades on my Edgepro Apex with great results.

I use the 40° (inclusive) setting on the Sharpmaker. On a SAK I can hardly tell any practical difference between 40° and 30° (probably because the blades are so thin). Since I sharpen my EDC SAK several times a week, it seems that using 40° should prolong the life of the blade a bit.

Richard

I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't get my Delica 4 as sharp as my SAK. I've used the 30 degree setting on my Sharpmaker on both (have only been sharpening for a month or so), but the SAK is smoother and quieter going through paper. I'm guessing that SAKs use softer steel than the VG-10 of the D4... does it make sense that one is harder to sharpen than the other?

Back