Do you use your Custom knife?

Most of mine are under glass or in the safe...However; there's a few that are users (what would be the point of collecting custom knives if you won't carry one?):

Emerson CQC-5, Terzuola 3B, Obenauf mini model 2, Strider PT and a Crawford Mini Kasper.

A new EDC I picked up at Blade / Atlanta this year is my Ed Fowler "Gentleman's Pronghorn". In talking with Ed I questioned the advisability of storing the knife in the sheath when I wasn't carrying it and Ed turned to look at me as if I'd asked the question in some extraterrestrial alien tongue! He said, "Why wouldn't you want to carry it every day? Just leave it in the sheath and carry it and use it!!" Even though I'd just ALMOST doubled my previous high price paid for a custom, I took his advice to heart (I'm realizing with age that life really is too short not to enjoy and appreciate what we've accumulated) and it now rides my belt daily; the sheath gently and quietly gaining more "character" marks daily.:cool:

cockroachfarm said:
You BETTER be using THAT one - or it's moving to my house! ;) ;) ;)
Holger my friend, that pup has been toted ever since early Friday morning at Blade. :D

I think I need to make sure my will states that it is yours when I croak!:cool:

Bastid said:
Holger my friend, that pup has been toted ever since early Friday morning at Blade. :D

I think I need to make sure my will states that it is yours when I croak!:cool:

Gus, my friend, I greatly appreciate the gesture but I've been told that "pup #2" is in the line-up which means we'll BOTH be carrying next June! :D

Reggie Barker said:
I can understand not using some knives because of the price but I don't think mine are that high yet.Is there a price that puts a knife in a none using class and how high is it?

I think that's different for each person, and also different depending on the stage of life and collecting they're at. For example, when I first got interested in knives, I wouldn't even use my new $35 USMC Kabar or the Spyderco Delica that I had just bought. As time went by and as I progressed further into becoming a knife nut, the dollar value jumped up to around $100. Now it's probably around the $200 range being the cut off where I would hesitate.

But dollar value isn't the only determining factor. Some knives are put together so well with such a great finish that I'd just hate to mar the surface. I have an AG Russell Loveless style drop point that cost less than $175, and a hand forged knife from an ABS apprentice smith that cost around the same price. And while its material and construction will easily stand up to intended use, the Russell is a prettier knife, so I have yet to use it and would hesitate to. The apprentice smith's custom knife I've put through some serious use.

And then there are custom knives that I intend to keep and use way down the line, like when I'm retired and can move to a more rural area and start enjoying life a bit more than worrying about work. That's when I intend to pull out my Dan Farr, and my Bailey Bradshaw, and use them hard. I figure at that age I'll be more apt to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

cockroachfarm said:
Gus, my friend, I greatly appreciate the gesture but I've been told that "pup #2" is in the line-up which means we'll BOTH be carrying next June! :D

I also carry a very special Carson. Not the old fashion kind! :D :D :D

knifeman7 said:
I also carry a very special Carson. Not the old fashion kind! :D :D :D

My membership in "The Carson Crew" (people who EDC one of Kit's knives) is currently under review and should be approved by the 'President' early 2006.

Back to the topic: I don't determine EDC's by dollar value - I now try to carry everything I own, according to circumstances (and believe me, it took a long time to - gulp - convince me to do that.) For instance, a Rod Olsen slipjoint with gold toothpick might accompany me to a dinner; my REKAT Sifu will tag along to a late night session at a recording studio. On a daily basis, I'd say my companion is my small Bud Weston custom framelock, about $550, engraved with my signature 'roach.

Hi everyone! I'm a new user at this forum and a knife collector for about 15 years or so. I'm gonna have to say, like alot of others here, that it depends! I own certain knives that I wont use simply because they're just too valuable. Then there are those that I use all the time... However, no matter how much a knife is worth, I always handle them once in a while. For instance, I own a few very expensive folders by Tiensvold, Vernie Reed, etc. behind glass and everything, but every so often I just have to feel the, in my hand, feel how the blade opens, move it around in the light etc. But I'd never start cutting rope with it! For that usually I use production knives (I love my pro-tech godfather, which is illegal to carry, but I do anyway :eek: ) but also knives by makers such as Ed kalfayan, Herb Derr and others! What can I say... To me, not all knives want to be used, but they all need attention! ~JOE

I'm of the type that won't buy a knife unless it will see some form of use (or potential use- I have certain knives that are relagated to emergency kits or the like that have never actually cut anything). This may mean as little as "this is a really nice knife and I will wear it to weddings or other special occasions and use it to trim cigars and such"- but I refuse to buy something I won't use at all. This also prevents me from buying flashier and yet even more ludicrously expensive (even if they're worth it) pieces...I'm still at the stage where I can't see myself spending more than $500 (would love an Airkat folder...) and I have as yet to spend more than $250. I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy a knife you won't use, its just my personal policy to keep me from taking out a second mortgage. :)... of course most of my discussion here is academic since the vast majority of my knives are productions- this rule has in fact kept me from buying a lot of customs.

I've got several customs that I use frequently. I have several Craig Camerer knives that see some regular use, a "bird and trout" knife that has become my "squirrel and pheasant" knife, and an "EDC" model that sees some regular around the house usage. I also have a small bowie from a maker who shall remain un-named because I was so pissed at him over the process of getting the knife, that I use (and damn near abuse) this knife on almost a daily basis. It's got some good "character" marks on it, but dang if it don't hold a sharp edge than alot of my other knives. I also have in my rotation several Doziers and rarely my two Primos customs.

Some of mine are users, and some of mine are safe queens. Depends on the materials and finish, I guess. I love to carry my no-frills Carson and JL Williams folders all the time, but my dressy ones by them (and anyone else, for that matter), only get pocket time on special occasions. And I'm definitely not going to use anything with a hot-blued blade.

I am from the school of: It is a knife then they are ment for use:)
I dont own any knife that I wont or dont use. Now dont get me
wrong there are some that seem to hurt me :yawn: when I brake
them in the first time. I have a Charles May that was hard
to use the first time but when I did, It was deff. a work horse
I will post about that later. I have bought a lot of blades here
Chiro75 is one hell of a maker and his work is 1 of the best
and I use his all the time, Ivan Campos Has super stuff I have
one of his and like Chiro75 he does great work for the working man:eek:
so I have to say if you have it use it..trust me even the Strider that
cost me way too much for what I got is in my roatation.

If you use them they will cut.......

Zoo

I used some. Dozier is the best for using and others for looky and collect.

Ed Craffrey
P.J.Tomes
Langley
Jimmy Walker
Treeman

I sold off most of my looky knives and kept the users. I take my Brett Gatlin trailing point Bowie hiking often. My Tai Goo bush Bowie as well, nothing cuts a tree down faster for me. I have a Cadet by Ron Leuschen that cleaned walleye last year, and a Neil Blackwood Miami Ninja that's usually on my belt.
There are many makers who make user knives primarily, or have user models. Ed Caffrey's EBK's, Dale Chudzinski's nessmuks, Tai Goo's blacksmith knives are all priced lower than many production knives and they all work great for me.

Larry S. said:
I'm realizing with age that life really is too short not to enjoy and appreciate what we've accumulated

That about sums it up for me. I own one custom knife, a Jot Khalsa folder with Eggerling mosaic damascus blade, that will probably never get carried or used, but all the others are fair game. And price is not the determining factor. My Bill Burke folding Pronghorn is, by a significant margin, the most expensive knife I own and I love to carry and use it, because it was meant to be used and I'll be d@mned if I'll spend that much and not get the full enjoyment for my money.

Back