Do you use your own sheaths ?

That's a great looking cross draw sheath there!

I usually wear a sheath that I've made, but if one comes with the knife, I'll sometimes use that for expediency sake until either it fails or I get around to making one for it.

Here's a vertical sheath for my Le Compact by Chambriard that I've been wearing lately, since I've gotten back to where I can almost walk and wear real pants for a change ;)

compact_5-10.jpg

The knife below is a Benchmade Triage that my middle daughter gave me for this past Christmas, she had G2 put on the side of the blade, very nice and solid folder too.

G2

Thanks guys. I'll send Strig a couple more if he doesn't mind.

Of course I use my own sheaths :D
I started making them because I didn't like factory sheaths and because kit blades don't come with them.
And… somebody's got to field test them :)

All my carry Knives and Guns have Custom Heavy Duty Sheaths or Holsters or Belts ~~ they will outlast me and then someone will still be able to wear them when I am gone.!! It cost more but it is well worth every $$$$ spent as I know I have something well made by one of the best Leather persons in the Country and he knows what I like and comes through for me 100% of the time.! Can't say that for many people you do business with through the years.!!**

Great photos :thumbup:

I really like the look of that sheath in the cross draw position .
Those hands look the hands of someone who knows what a days work is :)

What type of dogs are you running there David ?

Ken

I use mine :)

A little while back I posted a question in the Knifemakers forum asking if they bought other custom or production knives and was surprised to find that most of them do. I guess once you get to a point where you can make for yourself whatever you want, there's still a desire to obtain others works. The only reason why I really want some others sheaths (particularly Paul, Dwayne and my friend Dave's) is because I'd like to see how the pros do it, and get an idea of where my expectations are for my own work. It sucks not knowing how good or bad your work is.

Anyway, I carry these every day. Depending on if I'll be in an area with a lot of nervous people I have another belt sheath that is small and close to the belt. More inconspicuous.

For my Fiddleback Kephart

kHJIm7q.jpg

For the wharncliffe that I made

41kPHNA.jpg

Btw, you're right, it is difficult to snap your own pics! :)

That Wharncliffe setup is sweet!

Thanks Ken. That little one in the very first pic that Strig posted is my day in, day out EDC. I call that knife and sheath The Gordo, which is Spanish slang, (at least the Spanish spoken around here) for Chubby Boy. Neither knife work or ranching is very conducive to purty hands! Good eyes on the dog. He was kind of camo ed in there with the granite boulders. He was Queensland and Australian Shepard cross. I reviewed those pics and realized 4 different horses but only one shirt. It kind of struck me funny as some of these pics are separated by years and it looks like I only have one shirt. So I went and counted I actually have 7 white shirts. Paul I understand, sir. That red horse in the pic above with the dog will be the last real tough horse I start and finish. And he was TOUGH. But he is a good reliable partner now. Took some years though. I'm getting old enough now that I don't see myself starting anymore colts. I too wish for some of those years back. That little boot sheath design is one I'm playing with. I'd like to try and modify it to different knife sizes, see how it goes. On a little knife like that one it works good tucked into a back pocket too. Liking the ulu Willis. Interesting how similar it is to our leather round knives. Thanks Strig buddy.

Last edited:
My grandmother owned a large leather factory in Oklahoma City for many years.
Bentley Gafford company (Toga saddles), and employed a large amount of Mexican craftsman.
They made some of the most beautiful saddles, bridles, ect. ect.
I spent the summers with her, and went with her to work everday, I was probably 10-12 years old when she sold it.

Man if I knew then, what I know now!
I would have a ton of gun holsters/sheaths, for everyone I own!
Those guys were true craftsman.

Great pics and sheaths posted here, that is some beautiful country in the background.

Twisted, any chance you have any pictures? I'd love to see them if so. What a neat experience that must have been growing up.

I've visited Mexico many times and the leather work, both good and bad, is plentiful. I'd venture to guess that they have a larger population of true artists,in terms of leather, than we do, or most anywhere for that matter.

Great leather work (like any craft) takes passion, experience, patience, time and skill, all of which can be found just by looking at their work.

Twisted, any chance you have any pictures? I'd love to see them if so. What a neat experience that must have been growing up.

I've visited Mexico many times and the leather work, both good and bad, is plentiful. I'd venture to guess that they have a larger population of true artists,in terms of leather, than we do, or most anywhere for that matter.

Great leather work (like any craft) takes passion, experience, patience, time and skill, all of which can be found just by looking at their work.

I don't have any personally, but did a search and a few came up.
Tom Gafford (hence:Toga) was my great grandfather, and some of his employees worked there for many, many years (30 years or so?).

Most barely spoke english, but they took a shine to me, and I used to watch them for hours, making/tooling leather.
I actually lived in San Diego most of that time, so have been many, many places in Mexico also.
I have seen some superb work down there as well, but like you said, some of it not so good.

Back