Do you wear safety glasses?

Just in from chopping up some hardwood limbs in the yard. They didn't really need to be chopped up, but...:D
Just having a little fun.
Most of the stuff back there wasn't very dense, and up to 3" stuff was often cut in one or two chops with a Basic 9. Got some oak limbs that came down in a storm awhile back, though. Chopping hardwood was a different ball game altogether, and the chips were flying.
The whole time I've been clearing out there, whether it be with a chainsaw, machete, or the Basic 9, I've been wearing safety glasses. It's a habit, and I've worn them daily at work for years. Never give it a second thought.
Got a faceful of chips just now, and it got me thinking (scary, huh?).
Looking back, I never take them hiking/camping. I carry sunglasses, but rarely wear them when I'm chopping wood.
It occurred to me that being several miles away from the nearest road is probably not the best place to get something stuck in my eyeball, and wondered if anyone else wore safety glasses while "woodworking".
I know a pair are going in my pack from now on.

I've never had a problem with wood chips flying in my face. It has happened on occasion, but not often.

LOL, I've got an image of you chopping at hyper speed, the niner but a blurr, chips flying everywhere :D

Owen, you bring up a good point. I never wear safety glasses when I'm using a knife to chop or pry stuff, but the thought has passed my mind a couple times.
Normally I just close my eyes and swing;) ...but in reality, it does make sense to take neccesary precautions when using any tool.

My prescription glasses are safety glass with removeable sideshields that I put on at work, and when hiking and shooting. I`ve had branches flip into my face in the woods, and bullet cases bounce off of my face often enough to wear them all the time.

John

I don't, but I was actually hit in the eye with quite a large chunk of cottonwood one time when going at it with the BM. My eye watered up like a sissy, I just stuck my face a little closer into my shirt sleeve and kept whailing so no one could see I was hurt.:D

Always wear protection. Eye, or whatever ;)

Reason: A buddy of mine is now single eyed because he was hammering a nail in, caught it on the edge, it flipped up, and embedded itself 7/8 inch in.

Mike

Yes,
When,chopping,sawing,hammering,shooting,reloading!!!
Protect your eyes!!!!

I always try to wear some sort of glasses when I do any thing where stuff can fly.

Originally posted by Andrew Lynch
...chopping at hyper speed, the niner but a blurr, chips flying everywhere
That may not be the reality of it, but that's how I like to picture myself anyway!
The neighbors are always very polite when they speak to me....

John, are you a lefty? I don't get shell casings in my face, but I write left-handed, and am sick of all those wirebound notebooks being backwards. Oh, discrimination can be so subtle, sometimes:(

In my right mind??
Owen

You mean there are wood chips when you use a Busse? I thought that INFI grabbed the flying pulp debris, chewed, digested, and shat them out before they reached the operator's face. :D

Originally posted by Stomper
My prescription glasses are safety glass with removeable sideshields that I put on at work, and when hiking and shooting. I`ve had branches flip into my face in the woods, and bullet cases bounce off of my face often enough to wear them all the time.

John

Geez, John, that sounds just like me. I've also had pieces of copper bullet jacket fling back. Don't forget working on your car, especially underneath working on something like a nasty rusted exhaust.

Alot of home projects can carry a danger as well. A friend was retiling his bathroom, and while using those shaping nippers, had a piece of ceramic strike his face about 1/2" from his left eye, hard enough to draw blood. He's a believer now.

I have a pair of "civilian" glasses as well, and since I need glasses to see, I'm always wearing something over my eyes, but with the cost of regular eyeglasses, and the fact that my company pays for safety glasses, I'm always grabbing for them for one reason or another.

Owen M-I`m right handed, but I shoot with either hand.I always wear my glasses when doing any type of work because I can`t see without them ;)

John

Back