Does a 3 finger knife have a place in your life?

I just got one of the CRKT Minimalist Bowies yesterday. It's a fixed blade (2") with a choiled 3-finger grip. It feels better and more secure in the hand than many knives with 4-finger grips. I got the version with the bright lime green plastic handle, sheath and bicycle gears and chains printed on the blade.

Admittedly, it does have pretty humble 5Cr15MoV steel, but I figured it's fine for the duty this knife is likely to see.

It might be fine for really light use but it's also 2020 and the Minimalist typically costs more than $20. Even 8Cr13Mov is getting harder to justify at that price.

When that newish version you have first hit BladeHQ, they had it incorrectly listed as a better steel and I got excited. No such luck. I wish they'd upgrade to at least 8Cr13Mov. That could bring it in range of "Le Duck" from Outdoor Edge. Le Duck has a nice sheath and uses 8Cr14Mov for about the same price as a Minimalist.

I'd gladly pay an extra ten bucks to get either of those knives in a good budget steel like 14C28N. Wishes and dreams...

I just got one of the CRKT Minimalist Bowies yesterday. It's a fixed blade (2") with a choiled 3-finger grip. It feels better and more secure in the hand than many knives with 4-finger grips. I got the version with the bright lime green plastic handle, sheath and bicycle gears and chains printed on the blade.

Admittedly, it does have pretty humble 5Cr15MoV steel, but I figured it's fine for the duty this knife is likely to see.

httpsimages.salsify.comimageuploads--sydr5zsf--c_padw_1840h_824fl_clip.png8g1bxzibaokklrl06vimb.png

(CRKT stock photo)
I’ve always liked this knife profile. Just wish it came with a better steel. Would’ve been happy with 1095.

A fixed blade in the 2 to 3 inch range would drive me nuts. Five inches is about right. Three and a half is minimum length for a fixed blade in my book.

I find folding knives very convenient. I even find myself reaching for a folder while in the kitchen.
I see your point man. The little guys have their place too, though. Really convenient to just throw ‘em in the pocket.

I see your point man. The little guys have their place too, though. Really convenient to just throw ‘em in the pocket.
And I can see points one the other side.

However, shoving a FB in my pocket seems counterintuitive to me. I have enough gear in my pocket as it is.

I do own a few small knives that I use from time to time but they just don’t see much use.

As a matter of fact, I am finding that I am very happy with what I now carry as as my EDCs.

I really don’t see many knife purchases ahead because of it.

I’ve always liked this knife profile. Just wish it came with a better steel. Would’ve been happy with 1095.

Exactly. I like the Minimalist as well, and if it came in 1095 I'd buy a bunch of them.

3 fingers is plenty for what I do with a knife every day, and it's even plenty for hunting season.

The trade-off for that extra finger of grip length is acceptable to me in the form of carry size.

Exactly. I like the Minimalist as well, and if it came in 1095 I'd buy a bunch of them.

3 fingers is plenty for what I do with a knife every day, and it's even plenty for hunting season.

The trade-off for that extra finger of grip length is acceptable to me in the form of carry size.
I have to chuckle about the "bunch of them".... what on earth for? One or two I can see.... ;)

I am finding that 3-finger fixed blades are "enough" for most of my needs also. They are certainly sufficient for field chores associated with hunting. It just has to be sharp.

Small, light knives are ideal for backpacking. A victorinox executive is my favorite but many backpackers carry the classic. I also have a spiderco dragonfly that I sometimes carry but the scissors on the executive are better for opening food packets and cutting tape or moleskin. The dragonfly meets all of my edc needs and is usually in the watch pocket of my jeans

No. If I didn't wear an XL glove and live in a cold climate 5-6 months of the year, it might be different. I'm basically an outdoor oriented city slicker, who likes to pretend that he's some kind of bush whacking mountain man at times. I have put myself into some scary spots more than once temperature/location wise, just playing around. I got spooked enough times that I want the advantages on my side now. The times that I was casual about gear functionality where often the times when the odds leaned against me, weather and location wise.

I have to chuckle about the "bunch of them".... what on earth for? One or two I can see.... ;)

LOL, yeah I can see where someone would wonder about how many blades a guy should buy.

When I find a usable, affordable, quality piece I try to buy a bunch because I give away a bunch of knives to family and friends pretty much year round.

Last batch was the Mini Tac Bowie from Cold Steel... they had them up for $10 a pop. I bought half a dozen and they are all with new owners now.

I think I've given away more Kershaw folders than a guy should too. They go on sale sometimes at Big 5, usually for a bargain.

I like the Techno 2 a lot more than I thought I would, the chunky little handle feels good in the hand even if it is a 3 finger grip and fits nicely in the 5th pocket. I imagine I'd like the Half Track too but I don't like the price.

t5kWYwv.jpg

It might be fine for really light use but it's also 2020 and the Minimalist typically costs more than $20. Even 8Cr13Mov is getting harder to justify at that price.

When that newish version you have first hit BladeHQ, they had it incorrectly listed as a better steel and I got excited. No such luck. I wish they'd upgrade to at least 8Cr13Mov. That could bring it in range of "Le Duck" from Outdoor Edge. Le Duck has a nice sheath and uses 8Cr14Mov for about the same price as a Minimalist.

I'd gladly pay an extra ten bucks to get either of those knives in a good budget steel like 14C28N. Wishes and dreams...

check out this 14c28n ontario agilite :) can you believe only $25?
(yes, I know it's not a 3 finger, but there is not a better value for this steel from anywhere)
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL29udGFyaW8vaW1hZ2VzL09OMjU1MFNFQy5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDU0NSwiaGVpZ2h0IjogNDE1LCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

A lot of guys who carry neck knives carry them under their shirts. 1095 would rust quickly. Maybe that's part of why they went with 5Cr instead of 8?
That’s a good point. Didn’t occur to me since I usually just pocket carry the lil’ fixed blades.

In that case then, it’d be nice to have VG-10 or even Aus8 I suppose. 5cr is just the bottom of the barrel.

A lot of guys who carry neck knives carry them under their shirts. 1095 would rust quickly. Maybe that's part of why they went with 5Cr instead of 8?
... In that case then, it’d be nice to have VG-10 or even Aus8 I suppose. 5cr is just the bottom of the barrel.

It's possible they went with 5Cr15 for it's improved corrosion resistance over 8Cr13Mov but I doubt it. Otherwise, why not use 7Cr17Mov? No, I think they just cheaped out.

As far as the bottom of the barrel goes, 3Cr13 still sees a lot of use in ultra-budget knives. Kershaw uses 4Cr14 in some of their bottom-tier knives. I suppose 5Cr15 is a little better than those steels. I wouldn't consider any of them for EDC. The lowest I'd ever recommend for somebody who didn't have access to better options would be 7Cr17Mov or 8Cr13Mov. They at least get up into mediocre edge retention and 7Cr17Mov is reasonably resistant to corrosion.

The problem is that such a circumstance is getting rarer by the day. For instance, you can get one of Kizer's Tangram knives in Acuto 440 for around the same price as one of these Minimalists. That Acuto 440 will cut circles around 8Cr13Mov and is at least as stainless as 7Cr17Mov. Sandvik Steels and Chinese D2 are also available in sub-$30 knives. When choices like those can offer a significant boost to EDC performance for the price of a few cups of coffee or a single fast food lunch...

Back