Does a non-disposable razor exist? (excluding straight razor)

I am looking for a razor that you can shave your face with that can be resharpened rather than having to be thrown away. I can't see why it isn't possible. Preferable one in the style of modern razors (called safety razors?). I would go for the straight razor but it looks like more work and more blood. Anyone know of such a thing?

MindsEye said:
I am looking for a razor that you can shave your face with that can be resharpened rather than having to be thrown away. I can't see why it isn't possible. Preferable one in the style of modern razors (called safety razors?). I would go for the straight razor but it looks like more work and more blood. Anyone know of such a thing?
Hey M-E,
A straight razor is great. Not as much work or blood as you think. Once you're practiced at it, you'll get a great shave and know a skill that not many guys have. So don't discount them. StraightRazorPlace on Yahoo is the place to go for str8s. But...
What you described sounds like a Rolls Razor. Here's some info that describes them:
http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/3696/Intros02.html
I don't know much about them, but you can find them on eBay. They have been out of production for a while, but I believe a European company has started manufacturing them again. If I find more info I'll post it.
Parry

Oh wow- I saw one of these in a junk/antique shop 10+ years ago & didn't buy it. It was only about $10.00 IIRC. Looked pretty interesting as a curio. I wouldn't try to shave w/ it- I tend to 'chop' more than anything else & this thing looked like it could remove most of my face in a couple of swipes.
I really like the idea of a perpetual blade- just give it a few licks & you're back in action.

Get a straight razor. They are fun, and I cut myself less with a straight than I would with a safety razor. Well, at least once I got the hang of it. :)

I will get the info from my friend... maybe this is of help to you... Gillet still makes their first safety razors... the kind that uses a razor blade... He had to special order it from them... but as far as i rmemeber him telling me you can get the old school razor!

You can still buy Merkur Safety Razors that take double edged ravors. Just Search for safety razor or Merkur. The razor holders are more expensive then dispoiable razor holders, but a 10 pack of Merkur razors (which i highly recommend) are around $5 most places and they last. Just make sure you use a good brush and good soap. That will make your shave better.

You can always make disposable razors less disposable by sharpening the blade(s) with the striker part of a book of matches then remove the bur with needle or something similar.

You would be surprised how many times you can resharpen a Bic. Learned that trick as a starving college student.

Cool, my father had one of those and seemed to like it. He let me run the little handle back and forth to strop it (guess I was fascinated by how the blade flipped back and forth in the mechanism, or maybe just getting to help), though he'd sometimes yell at me to be more gentle when I got a bit carried away ^-^

I used a straight razor whenever I took to the forest whether for the military or for camping. some of the guys used those double sided disposable safety razors. Both of these can be restropped for the long haul. The safety razor's life is of course much more limited compared to the straight, but you can get an extra week or two...

one other thing you could do to extend your razor's life is to douse the blade with mineral spirits (or that tuff glide stuff) before you use it for the first time and after every use. This prevents the microscopic rust that makes the blade feel like it's pulling after only one use.

I've always used a glass of alcohol- either ethanol or isopropyl- and just dropped the whole razor in it. Keeps the blade fresh about twice as long.

Aniketos said:
I will get the info from my friend... maybe this is of help to you... Gillet still makes their first safety razors... the kind that uses a razor blade... He had to special order it from them... but as far as i rmemeber him telling me you can get the old school razor!
That's what I remember my dad using, but the 2 sided blade was thrown out when it got dull..don't remeber him sharpening it though.

Back