Does anyone know what these are?

An interesting note: during Spanish rule which ran some 300 years Guam was, considered a part of, and administered by the governor of the Philippines. I can easily imagine that some of the knife making arts would have been imported from there into Guam. Remember Guam had no native metal or metal workers.

n2s

rkenny,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have sent Golok an email, perhaps he will drop in on this thread.

n2s

Saw this thread on the EEWRS and had no clue myself, but before everyone starts going in circles, given the age of the knives I would have to say they arent Filipino, unless someone had them custom designed. While there do seem to be some similarities other elements, particularly the sheath throw that off. These blades seem relatively old, and not near as new as the tourist hybrid knives that seemed to jump after 70s so I would rule out a later tourist asking a local smith to make something interesting. Anyways alota of the custom jobs Ive seen were relatively crude, and these knives definitely look like they were made to a relatively decent spec. Didnt seem that tourists looked necessarily for the best smiths to make their strange requests to. I have to agree also it doesnt look Indo/Malay. Again this is given the look of age, I would expect some watering to be more evident. However I do have to say these knives do have that tropical, warm weather feel to them, and think youre on the right track looking at the island connections. For some reason though, these have a factory look to them, at least for me, rather than a one man native shop. Just .02 cents

Back