Does it seem like prices are going up?

This is an interesting topic. My biggest hope is word of mouth. I too have exhausted all the easy avenues. However I have befriended lots of people and made a whole lot of acquaintances over the years being a building contractor. And i tell EVERYONE i know that I'm looking for axes. I have a lead on several huge axe collections and I'm working my angle as best as i can. I have to say though i am a sucker... when i see a beautiful ol axe for sale and if it's the right one in the right shape i don't care what it costs. Of course finances limit me but boy oh boy if i had the money.... I feel these axes, these wonderful items from our history, are priceless.

I honestly can't say if they are or not. I still am given axe heads and I still pay $20 for 'slashers with handles. I guess it all depends on the scenario. +1 with Yankee Josh Yankee Josh with everything except exhausting all my sources. There are still around 5-10 axes where my brother works. There's also a log carrier, a pair of cant hooks, an adze, and I need to get all of them. Yippee! New Years resolution found! Update: And completed!

Last edited:
That's a great resolution! Except, oh yeah, that's been my goal all along. I met with a code enforcement officer last fall to get initial approval on a new camp I'm going to build. I asked him before he left if he had any axes he'd want to get rid of. I ended up with my first rockaway from that exchange!
U5qnpaN.jpg
ROMNw6G.jpg

I've ended up with quite a few this way. Of course my newest fantasy is to come across an old minty raven or Lincoln. One o' these days it WILL happen!

This is an interesting topic. My biggest hope is word of mouth. I too have exhausted all the easy avenues. However I have befriended lots of people and made a whole lot of acquaintances over the years being a building contractor. And i tell EVERYONE i know that I'm looking for axes. I have a lead on several huge axe collections and I'm working my angle as best as i can. I have to say though i am a sucker... when i see a beautiful ol axe for sale and if it's the right one in the right shape i don't care what it costs. Of course finances limit me but boy oh boy if i had the money.... I feel these axes, these wonderful items from our history, are priceless.
This is it, I find them all ways but more this way than any other. Like anything else, if you put time and effort in the results will be improved. But, you still need to live in the right areas for them to be plentiful. Doing my part to spread them around. :)

If today's trip to the flea market is an indication of 2019 it could be a long year. First hatchet I looked at was an unmarked carpenter hatchet in poor shape priced at $25. The next was Union Made that the lettering was only visible by using my phone magnification. I would guess half of the hardened edge had been filled away(unevenly) , the poll was mushroomed badly, and the handle was beyond saving. It was bargain priced at $50, lowest he could go!

Last edited:
Last month I talked to a dealer in Ohio when I was down there, and she confirmed. In fact she said there's been a run on axes.

I know there is one or more fellows in my neck of the woods buying up everything and seem educated in what they take. Can't mull anything over because it'll be gone forthwith!

They will only get more and more scarce. The cat is out of the bag. Vintage stores know how much they are worth, estate sales are swarmed by people looking for vintage tools. I fear the days of buying a barrel full of them at garage sales for $5 each are gone.

The price of goods is always based on what the market can bear and although antique market prices ebb and flow, Axes made in that Golden Era will likely only continue to increase in rarity and cost.

Well said, we are of one mind here.
I feel fortunate just to be able to interact with and preserve these relics of history.

Well I'm still using em because they're still by far the best option. Realistically, there's no way I'd be able to use up my small collection in my lifetime. And used up stumps still sell for money, apparently lol But yeah I admire the tool, I would be sad if the price prevented me from getting a nice one now and then.

I saw that in my “area” as well. Those blue West German axes are decent users and the double bits are definitely harder to find. Here is a smattering of them as examples:
B17-C6-DA9-7964-4-FFB-A005-19-F64-B2-E41-E2.jpg

The one you posted is a 3 3/4lb. I come across single bits regularly and occasionally the double bits but I haven’t seen one that weight. Maybe that would be a draw? The double bits do tend to be very roughly finished compared to the single bits.

But maybe axes have become scarcer than I realize and I’ve not been paying close enough attention.

I have noticed a scarcity of axes more that the price increasing. I've got probably a dozen people looking for axes for me. And i created a problem for myself i didn't anticipate! Now a couple of them go to yard sales and buy em for 5 bucks and sell em to me for 10! lol. But what they tell me and what I've heard from people and dealers myself is that old tools of any kind, especially axes, have recently(in the past 5 years or so) really taken off and everyone is after them. So I've given up hoping to find many and I'm networking to find axes. And while it may have a down side or two I've got axes coming in all the time. It's still fun to go look on a Saturday morning though.

A few weeks ago I was birdwatching in my neighborhood, doing a 1.5 mile traveling count that had me walking up/down on the two streets that are south of mine. I imagine usually it must look weird to people to see a guy walking along the street with binoculars, staring into the trees in their yard, so I always endeavor to not be creepy and be personable/non-weird during any actual human interactions.

Anyway, while I was stopped staring into some pine trees in the backyard of one house, a guy came out of the garage carrying a couple trash bags to the curb. Endeavoring not to be weird, I said hi and remarked on the "estate sale" sign that was posted in the yard. He offered that it was his mother-in-law's house, she had died in late-fall and they were getting ready to sell the contents of the house, before selling the house itself. I asked him if he had any tools, and he invited me to the garage to see what was there (the father-in-law had died 20+ years before, they were his tools, and the deceased MiL was 80+ y.o., to put this in context).

Long story short, I got a 6lbs splitting maul, a *3lbs stone mason's bash hammer, a nice Vaughan sledgehammer, a **stone mason's hand hammer [*,** EDITED TO REFLECT TOOL IDENTITY/USE CORRECTION (Thx, Old Axeman)], a flat shovel, a couple of hefty crowbar type things, two Disston saws, and two made-in-USA metal toolboxes (one of which is particularly enormous, like ... idk, a machinist or electrician's specialty box) for $20.

kIB4sMK.jpg

AnBzy4L.jpg

Ironically, I've never found an axe at an estate sale, but at least here in suburban southwestern Pennsylvania, you can still get nice tools from dead old timers at their estate sales for $0.25 - 1.00/ea.

Last edited:
The tools in the pictures you show are not for working or splitting wood. They are masons tools. The first one is a stone mason's hammer, the second is a mason's mash hammer. Nice looking tools.
Thanks for pointing this out, and for expanding my knowledge!! I edited my original post to reflect your input.

Last edited:
Back