Does LC 200N work harden?

Well I mean not to be obvious but if the serrated one cuts better then it's the serrations.

The why is likely because having the peaks of the serrations contact first they act like birds flying in echelon.
I think you missed something.
All steels are CATRA tested with serrated edges, according to Sal.

How much more actual edge is on 3" serrated edge as opposed to a 3" straight edge? Is it possible a serrated blade holds its edge longer because it has more edge for the same length blade, or am I way off base?

Mike

What "cards" are you interested in seeing?

Most steels will cut about about twice the plain edge with serrations. H1 will cut about 4X the plain edge.

sal

What "cards" are you interested in seeing?

Most steels will cut about about twice the plain edge with serrations. H1 will cut about 4X the plain edge.

sal
Are there any other steels in serrated edge that cut about 4x the plain edge other than H1?

OK, so plain edge LC200N will cut for the sake of discussion 52 cards & serrated LC200N will cut 104 cards.

Plain H1 will cut the same deck of cards? Or more or less? Then the serrated H1 will cut four times that mystery number.

How much more actual edge is on 3" serrated edge as opposed to a 3" straight edge? Is it possible a serrated blade holds its edge longer because it has more edge for the same length blade, or am I way off base?

Mike
My take is not because it has more total edge length, because that would mean that a PE Pacific Salt would naturally have better edge holding than a PE Salt 2, which isn’t the case.

I think it’s because the teeth penetrate the material and protect the inward curves/scallops. And I suspect that the concave scallops also create a somewhat reinforced edge.

Jim

Are the SE and PE knives sharpened to the same angle or are we comparing the more obtuse angle of a PE knife to the thinner SE chisel grind?

Yes a good follow up would be to test V grinds vs. chisel grinds in the same H1 and see if the chisel out cuts the V.

Plain edges are usually 30 degrees or under and serrated edges are usually under 20 degrees. I would expect that to come into play.

I cannot explain why H1 might hold an edge longer. Larrin did a good article on it recently. I did my own research years ago and science says that work hardening is caused only through plastic deformation. That can happen when an edge gets burnished but I don’t see how that would increase edge retention but I guess anything is possible. If this phenomenon is real then I too would love to know why.

Plain edges are usually 30 degrees or under and serrated edges are usually under 20 degrees. I would expect that to come into play.

Wow - I don't know that I've ever heard or read that before. Very Interesting for sure. Seems like it would be a contributing factor, among other things.

u.w.

I would like to hear why H1 in serrated edges cuts more paper in a CATRA than just about any other steel?

sal

Not gonna pretend I fully understand this stuff so this is a guess. But if the metal is cold rolled to form martensite to create hardness. Then the further deformation of putting the spyderedge on the blade could be creating more martensite and creating even more hardness just on the edge.

Back