Does the 2016 folders have a DLC coated tri-ad lock?

I bought my first CS folder last year with DLC coating but what I found was the Tri-ad lock still has the telfon coating that chips away from use. has there been any changes this year?

My newly purchased Recon 1 XL clip point in CTS XHP/DLC has a teflon coated lock bar. The stop/pivot pins might be DLC coated, but it's hard to be sure.

so tuff-ex is teflon or something else? thanks rep....

The blade is DLC coated, but the lock bar is coated with Tuff-Ex

Hmmm...if I'd known that, I might not have bought the knife. But I do like it.
(Did look over the specs before buying.) I like the Hold Out a lot - much more
substantial than I''d thought they'd be. (Bought the 3 inch and the 4 inch.)
Oh, and a Talwar 4 inch. The XHP steel is very good, but you knew that already.

Having Teflon on the LOCKBAR would have dissuaded you from buying a knife built for hard use? Maybe you should start collecting purses.

The blade is DLC coated, but the lock bar is coated with Tuff-Ex

Lynn is so cheap. I took my recon 1 in a hot Arizona desert and the not so tuff-ex started bubbling and chipped off easily.

At the same price point, spyderco DLC Coats their blades and liners and it's made in USA.

At the same price point, spyderco DLC Coats their blades and liners and it's made in USA.

Which knives, OOC? Military and Paramilitary are available with DLC, but not at the same price point. Manix 2 is available with a DLC at the same price point, but with lower quality steel and handle materials.

Which knives, OOC? Military and Paramilitary are available with DLC, but not at the same price point. Manix 2 is available with a DLC at the same price point, but with lower quality steel and handle materials.
Just to further your point, the manix 2 in DLC is about 120$. I got my XHP Recon for 70$. The only way they find DLC on a cheaper manix 2 is if they can find the 154CM version.

Just to further your point, the manix 2 in DLC is about 120$. I got my XHP Recon for 70$. The only way they find DLC on a cheaper manix 2 is if they can find the 154CM version.

When I posted my reply I was looking at a Manix 2's with DLC for $95. Likewise, the absolute cheapest I've ever seen the XHP Recon is also $95. I'm willing to accept those 2 as the same price point. But the Manix is in BDZ-1 and FRN while the Recon is in XHP and G10. I consider the XHP and G10 worth a lot more than DLC on the lockbar.

When I posted my reply I was looking at a Manix 2's with DLC for $95. Likewise, the absolute cheapest I've ever seen the XHP Recon is also $95. I'm willing to accept those 2 as the same price point. But the Manix is in BDZ-1 and FRN while the Recon is in XHP and G10. I consider the XHP and G10 worth a lot more than DLC on the lockbar.

Ah damn. I forgot about the lightweight Manix 2.

The Tri-ad lock wedges itself in place by design. That's why they tend to be sticky. Prior to DLC, the harder steel of the blade tang would polish the lock-bar. This would break-in the locking action. If you have both locking surfaces DLC coated (at around rockwell 90), break-in would take forever. I don't believe cost of DLC coating the lock-bar is the reason it's not used. The expense of hanging the lock bar in the vacuum booth when hanging the blade is negligible.

Back